Save Game Bloating?

Wishless

Well, I'm officially suffering from savegame bloat : | I can load a save and then immediately save, but if I try to do almost anything and then try to save again, it crashes during the save.

I googled around, but I couldn't find any guide to fixing this or whatever. I'm wondering if such a guide exists somewhere on this forum? It must be fixable. Right? : |

If you have Wrye Bash, you can get rid of the bloat by right clicking the save, and there is an option. The deeper issue is why you have savegame bloat. Some mods can cause savegame bloat. In particular PlaceAtMe can cause it. http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/PlaceAtMe

Unfortunately, it is difficult to know which mods may be using PlaceAtMe. If you post your load order probably we can spot a few that are known to do that.

There are also mods that specifically tell you NOT to use the wrye bash remove bloat feature........ so, load order is important.

What gives you the impression that your saves are bloated though? What level are you, play time, and save file size please?

Wrye Bash sounds so useful, but I've never gotten around to figuring it out. I guess it's time to install it lol. It just sounds so complicated : |

As to why I think I have it, well, the symptoms fit. I'm level 30. Play time is 130 hours, but that's a bit of an inflated value because I've left oblivion open without playing it many times. And file size is 7.92 MB : |

And that's my latest working save.

Finally, here's my load order. Thanks a lot. I'll get to fiddling with Wrye Bash.

Oblivion.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm [Version 1.33]

HorseCombatMaster.esm

HrmnsOblivionScriptOptimizationv1.0.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp [Version 3.3.5]

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp [Version 1.0.0]

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp [Version 1.4.2]

FOV Modifier.esp [Version 2.0]

Living Economy.esp [Version 3.6]

Living Economy - Items.esp [Version 3.62]

Cutthroat Merchants.esp

Spell Delete And Item Remove.esp [Version 3.1]

Streamline 3.1.esp

Map Marker Overhaul.esp [Version 3.6]

Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp [Version 3.5]

Enhanced Hotkeys.esp [Version 1.2]

FastEquipping.esp

DLCHorseArmor.esp

DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]

DLCOrrery.esp

DLCOrrery - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.4]

DLCVileLair.esp

DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.6]

DLCMehrunesRazor.esp

DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

DLCSpellTomes.esp

DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.1]

Alchemy Book.esp

Battlespire Books.esp

DLCThievesDen.esp

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.9]

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp [Version 1.0.4]

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp [Version 1.33]

OOO-DLT_Remover.esp [Version 1.33]

OOOLivingEconomyWornRebalance.esp

Anvil_Mazecave.esp

ScarletMonastery.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle.esp

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

DLCFrostcrag.esp

DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.0.5]

Knights.esp

Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp [Version 1.1]

Harvest [Flora].esp [Version 3.0.0]

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp [Version 3.0.0]

Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp [Version 3.0.0]

Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp [Version 3.0.0]

P1DkeyChain.esp [Version 5.00]

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp [Version 3.1.1]

ATakesAll.esp

Denock Arrows.esp

Deadly Reflex 5 - Timed Block and 250% damage.esp

DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp

Smarter Mercantile Leveling - Multi.esp [Version 1.65]

Chameleon-NoRefraction-2411.esp

MI Books.esp

HrmnsOblivionScriptOptimizationv1.0.esp <- This one really doesn't do much. Remove it.

Do you also have the Hotfix for DR 5?

I don't see anything in there that would really cause bloating. Or crashing for that matter.

What you might want to try, is loading your latest save, and going and hiding somewhere for 3.5 days, and see if that doesn't relieve it some.

You may want to have a look at this list of popular outdated mods: http://tesivpositive...r_outdated_mods. Definitely get rid of Hrmns.

I was wondering if Harvest [Flora] would be in your load list, and there it is. This mod has been said to cause bloat prior to v 3.0.1. Make sure you have 3.0.1. The version number will still say 3.0.0 in Bash. http://www.tesnexus....ile.php?id=2037.

Don't be afraid of Bash. I was at first, but when I actually got it I discovered it can do so many things nothing else can do. It really is kind of like a Swiss army knife. Bash can tell you how much bloat you have (or don't). Set up Bash as depicted in this terrific picture tutorial. http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=35230 Then if you run BOSS from within Bash, when you click on Bash again it will even autosort your mods. :)

I don't use Streamline so I am not sure whether it might be involved in your crashing at saves. I'm a big fan of Windom Earle's Crash Prevention System. Not only can it prevent many known crashes, but it will beep when it does, so it can help you track down what is happening sometimes.

My saves are 160 hours and around 18mb each, so I don't think bloating is your problem. I'm also using streamline, so it's probably not that.

The only thing in the load order that sticks out as a problem is the script optimization, which may have already done irreversible damage to your save.

Also, BOSS sorts your mods itself, whether it's run from bash or not. The list displayed in bash just doesn't update until it's the active window.

Edited by whalecakes