Let's talk about the challenges of modding with a voiced protagonist

llamaRCA

If the player will be isolated for the duration of the mod as in most of the official DLC for FO3 and FNV, changing the player voice could work. "Something in the atmosphere" or whatever. Or here's a thought for the computer generated voice: Tobar says he used to travel to the Commonwealth when the Duchess Gambit was more seaworthy. Maybe Tobar Jr. carries on his dad's legacy but gives you a tracheotomy instead of a lobotomy. Unfortunately, for quests that involve vanilla locations and characters, it doesn't seem feasible without replacing most or all of the player's lines. It would be very disconcerting if you talk to Handy (or Willow Jr. :wink: ) in one voice, turn around, and talk to Preston in a different voice.

That's it, i'm making an island covered in helium just for this.

If the player will be isolated for the duration of the mod as in most of the official DLC for FO3 and FNV, changing the player voice could work. "Something in the atmosphere" or whatever. Or here's a thought for the computer generated voice: Tobar says he used to travel to the Commonwealth when the Duchess Gambit was more seaworthy. Maybe Tobar Jr. carries on his dad's legacy but gives you a tracheotomy instead of a lobotomy. Unfortunately, for quests that involve vanilla locations and characters, it doesn't seem feasible without replacing most or all of the player's lines. It would be very disconcerting if you talk to Handy (or Willow Jr. :wink: ) in one voice, turn around, and talk to Preston in a different voice.

That's it, i'm making an island covered in helium just for this.

Had a similar idea with helium :D But I really think that something like that would be one of the easiest ways to get around the voiced protagonist. Just make a good explanation why his voice is different and thats it.

If the player will be isolated for the duration of the mod as in most of the official DLC for FO3 and FNV, changing the player voice could work.

I agree. You could even take it further and silence the player. I don't think it would matter what you did as long as you had a good story/world related reason for doing it.

Unfortunately, for quests that involve vanilla locations and characters, it doesn't seem feasible without replacing most or all of the player's lines. It would be very disconcerting if you talk to Handy (or Willow Jr. :wink: ) in one voice, turn around, and talk to Preston in a different voice.

Exactly.