Reinstalling Oblivion

newvelaric

Hey guys, I am about to reinstall Oblivion. Skyrim has rekindled my attraction for Oblivion. But Since I bought the game I have changed my computer, and I heard Oblivion might not be completely compatible with Windows 7. So I just wanted your opinion on how to best reinstall Oblivion.

I have an Alienware M17X with

-Core i7 x920 @2.00GHZ

-RAM 8Gig

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

-2 ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 series.

-1TB of Hard drive

I think this more than adequate to push the game to maximum beauty.

Here is my install plan:

1. Oblivion 1

2. Official patch 1.1.511

3. Shivering Isle (which brings it to 1.2.201)

4. Official Shivering patch 1.2.0416

5. All the DLCs.

6. Unofficial Oblivion patch 3.2.0

7. Unoficial Shivering patch 1.4.0

8. Unofficial Oblivion Mod patch

This is what I found on the net. It worked when I installed it on my Inspiron 3200 with Windows XP.

After that I want to install mods that will push the game to better graphic heights. I will install them in this order:

1. Qarl's texture pack III

2. Better Cities

Is there anything else I should install to improve the graphics?

After that I want to install mods to change the game characters, also in descending order:

1. HG EyeCandy Body v.1.21

2. Ren Beauty pack v1.1 but I am wondering if I should install Moonshadow elves.

3. Colourwheels sexy Oblivion.

Are those adequate mods to change the characters?

Finally I want to add some mods for unique items:

-Add map markers.

-Adonnay's Elven Weaponry.

-Assassins Creed 2 Ezio's Gear.

-BloodBob's raised Spellmaking and enchanting limits.

-Cyrodiil terrain map.

-Divine touch.

-Okari Weapons.

-Tyrael Armor.

They gave me great fun last time I installed the game! Do these mods make sense to you guys who are a lot more tech savy than I am? Does anybody have more recommendations?

You're probably not going to get your dream of the ultimate stutter-free graphical setup, because Oblivion is fundamentally a SINGLE-core program. As far as it is concerned your CPU is only a 2 GHz single processor, apart from one or two very small areas. Because the game itself can't make use of the extra cores, the CPU clock speed is a bottle neck. Later games which use multi cores properly will be far better on the system.

To make the most of the system you have, you'll need to run the 3GB memory patch mod. That will at least allow Oblivion to use the next GB of memory above the old 2GB limit it was written with.

You may be ok with Better Cities, but I suspect Anvil Waterfront may still strain your setup a lot. Be prepared to add the fps patches where they exist, and disable the large wine barrels.

You are almost certain to need to install OBSE, FastExit and Winston Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System in addition to what you listed above. I wish you luck, though - it'd be nice to think you managed to get Oblivion looking AND playing perfectly.