Ugly hissing noise from audio card, motherboard or GPU?

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an option, pull out the audio card and run sounds off the onboard for testing.

I already did that, as described earlier (I had an onboard before, and it produced the same noise!).

If you dont get the sound, then take it back to the shop you got it and request a replacement.

Well, I don't think that this helps much. If both my old onboard and my new Creative sound card are producing the same noise, why should replacing the new sound card likely change anything?

It might be worth a try. But I believe that I have some other issue with my mainboard or CPU right from the beginning, but I don't have enough knowledge to dare fumbling with BIOS setting or voltage or whatever.

I still hope that someone has experience with that and can give me a hint...

Are you using a HDMI cable /HDMI to DVI to connect the moniter? if so make sure audio is disabled for it in your nviidia control panel, that can sometimes course funny hissing sounsd.

Are you using a HDMI cable /HDMI to DVI to connect the moniter? if so make sure audio is disabled for it in your nviidia control panel, that can sometimes course funny hissing sounsd.

I am using a regular DVI to DVI cable. And I think I don't have any HDMI port in my nvidia settings (I suppose that it would only be present if my graphics card had an HDMI output, and I guess it hasn't).

The thing that strikes me most is the fact that the hissing seems to correlate exactly with the CPU and/or hard disk being at work, though it's hard to tell which of both is the cause, because most time they are working at the same time.

However, when I was still using my onboard audio, I sometimes had the slight impression that turing on my mainboard's "Energy Saver Tool" (which comes bundled with Gigabyte's mainboard software), the hissing was gone (at least temporarily)! This makes me suppose that using the Energy Saver lowered my CPU's load, thus also reducing the hiss. That might indicate that it's caused by the CPU rather than the hard disc.

What a puzzle... :unsure: