Nick/Nora death doesn't make sense...

oolongdao

Spending a bit more time pre-war might have been a better intro - get to know the neighbours, take a trip into Lexington for something at the super-duper mart. Maybe check Codsworth in for that checkup that's spoken about, stuff like that.

Then have the news break out about the bombs dropping and have you try and fight your way back home during the ensuing riot.

Well, I will admit that the scene doesn't make much sense, in the sense that the Institute could have handled things MUCH better. I mean, if they just woke you up and just said that the world is a radioactive hellhole, and that they're the only safe place for your baby, as well as the only place where you can get real medicine and education for said offspring, tell me you wouldn't have even been grateful?

Then tell you that they need to give your kid a medical check-up to make sure he's not suffering from radiation or side effects from the cryo-freeze, and any sane person would have begged them to take those blood samples ASAP.

So, yeah, murderizing everyone for the baby was a bit idiotic. But then I guess it's supposed to be, since even in game, even a full-tilt murderous psycho like Kellogg wonders WTH sense that made.

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing that it makes no sense to do that.

All I'm contesting is the whole "oh no, he/she can't be dead" thing. Yes, with a bullet in the head, no medical attention and no life support, he/she most definitely can be dead. Is all I'm saying.

Some people seem to be actually stuck at the denial stage of grief. And some seem to be transitioning to basically the bargaining stage. (Think, 'oh, I'd buy a DLC if it brings Nora back'.) Which I can at least theoretically understand. I even find it fascinating, to be honest. But, well, sad to say, grieving after someone won't change the fact that they ARE in fact dead.

Spending a bit more time pre-war might have been a better intro - get to know the neighbours, take a trip into Lexington for something at the super-duper mart. Maybe check Codsworth in for that checkup that's spoken about, stuff like that.

Then have the news break out about the bombs dropping and have you try and fight your way back home during the ensuing riot.

Basically this. So much of the plot hinges on you caring about your wife and son enough to want revenge on Kellogg, but you knew them for all of a few minutes. At least Liam Dadson was a substantial part of the tutorial and plot so you kind of cared about his suddenly dying - but Nate/Nora bugs you to talk to a Vault Tek rep for a few minutes before biting the dust. Shaun at that point is basically just a potato.

Let's begin when you leave home in that nice still working vehicle when you head for Wallma... Super Duper.

You enter the shop (having a wee cash) and you buy whatever.

Suddenly, air sirens haungtinly scream for an incoming attack, you have to drive home to figure out what's happening.

Hmm, might work.

Reminds me of a song by Carnivore on their Retaliation Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANx2mk_qyh8.

Seeing this song is so perfect for this event, they should bring it in there, whayya think?

Then have the news break out about the bombs dropping and have you try and fight your way back home during the ensuing r

i was thinking the same thing and while being (ingame say 1 or 2 hrs and in game that's...) i would love to be in-town when the bombs and you had to fight your way to the vault

alot of this game to me makes no sense. like how theirs people still alive after the bomb BUT you ins-ta die if you take longer to get to the vault or the vault wont take you down because your spouse is not close enough....

(as seeing how many did make it after the bombing i would of wished alot more planing on there hand to make you really want to save the kid. like how you get (for some) in Mass Effect u get connection with your followers on your ship

i was thinking the same thing and while being (ingame say 1 or 2 hrs and in game that's...) i would love to be in-town when the bombs and you had to fight your way to the vault

Euh, why?

i mean, why disorder?

Aside, imagine, there you are, Mr. Noob.

Some fellow wants to pass you, he's just faster.

You grab him, only to get the fright of a life time: this fella is Bruce Lee, and he is pissed at you...

IMHO too soon a death for a player, no?

Seeing all you have is your wife, oh, and a kid, right.

No, then I prefer to see the soldiers on the gate being overrun, and the vault being overpopulated, due to which most if not all die due to malnutrition and the lot, while you sit/hang/whatever cosy in that tank.

You'll be fighting enough after they BBQ you back to life, trust me.

Edited by Klipperken

Totally agree with that. If this is a movie that has time limit, I may understand. But this is a game, and one can spend 100 hours before even getting to Reunion (like myself). It would be so nice to see more of the pre-war world.

Basically this. So much of the plot hinges on you caring about your wife and son enough to want revenge on Kellogg, but you knew them for all of a few minutes. At least Liam Dadson was a substantial part of the tutorial and plot so you kind of cared about his suddenly dying - but Nate/Nora bugs you to talk to a Vault Tek rep for a few minutes before biting the dust. Shaun at that point is basically just a potato.

This. the whole scene just struck me as weird considering the last game starts off with a headshot and does several good revenge stories while this one has baby napping and a murder and all you do is fight kellogg before joining apple. why would kellogg a trained super cyborg who knows they need them alive just shoot someone? thats like boba fett just braining han solo and going meh, screw the bounty i just like shooting people. and even if you say the institute didn't tell him they needed the parents alive, one would question why a bunch of geniuses would allow a psychopathic murder machine to do anything but stand at the door after the all clear. they had death robots by this point. 8 of them with orders to only shoot when told would have been more than enough. then theres the fact that they couldn't, as previously stated, explain the situation, are they're no parents amongst the institute?

The Institute simply didn't need three not mutated prewar specimens for a genetic analysis and countermeasures against a rampant infertility caused by mutation, just one and a backup, if ever. The third specimen (especially when by good reasons hostile) was already again expendable from a scientific point of view. The protagonist gets released from the cryogenic tank much later by Father, and this exclusively for personal reasons.

Edited by Jasemyne

The third specimen (especially when by good reasons hostile) was already again expendable from a scientific point of view.

Which is the stupid part.

No proper scientific research group is going to reject a perfectly viable source material subject just because they already have one or two already.

1. Primary sample: Infant Shaun

2. Secondary sample: Player (backup)

3. Tertiary sample: Spouse - (diversity and alternate backup)

They'd have at least wanted a genetic sample from you to see if there was anything they could benefit from using/experimenting with.

As I said earlier, If upon release of your spouse and and baby, the researcher had taken the time to sit them down, explain a few things first and get them onboard by offering a safe place and a secured future - then there would have been no need for Kellogg to get trigger happy.

The player could have been woken up after and been given the same explanation, and felt relieved knowing that their partner had already been through the talk and seemed alright with things.

Or the player could have been woken first and given the explanation - in which case it's up to you to decide if you want to go with them or not, and if you refuse, you could be knocked out by Kellogg and thrown back into the cyropod to keep you out of the way while they leave with the others.

If you do decide to go with them, then the kidnap/spouse death plot could be instigated via other means, like the gunners or raiders attacking, or the railroad (earlier incarnation) ambushing the group at the vault exit. Which would leave you with no other choice but to head back into the vault, maybe injured so you have to re-enter the cryopod to save yourself, in the hopes that someone will come and get you.

Maybe someone else drags you back there after the attack. Who knows?

There was a huge amount of variations to the beginning that would have worked.