Update Vanilla game pants for women

renadragoon

Not everyone wants to wear a skirt, not very practical for dungeon delving. But the Laced Leather Pants are so....REDDISH! Why can't we have a more natural looking leather pant in brown? And maybe black, light tan, even white? No need for fancy colors, just natural looking leather pants women can wear, that look more realistic and color choices. And in colors that would have been easy for dyers to make at Vanilla Oblivion level of technology.

Just want more of a choice of pants for women to wear, in keeping with the Vanilla style. Just simple recolors of the laced leather pant. See image for examples.

Hmm, I know there's more out there in regards of clothing recolors, but the only one I could quickly find so far is this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/33322/?

It's not much but it does contain a retexture of the laced leather pants, so maybe it's already useful to you.

I'll keep searching a little more when I get some time for it, but I know there's more like this somewhere inside the database.

Thank you for that mod, if all I can get is brown, well, that's still better than REDDISH, and some of the other changes are cool too. And thanks for looking into it, lol.

Would you believe, I was for 5 years in the early 2000's, a very popular recolorist for the Sims 2 game? Had my own site and everything. Alas, I retired when 3 came out. Not really interested in getting all into modding again, I'm over 50, and it's just a bit too much now. But it's how I know a recolor would be so simple.

Again thanks for checking!!!

It still is really simple actually. This game's textures are stored in DDS, a DirectDraw proprietary file format, so all it needs is a DDS file type plugin for the graphics app of your choice (mine is Paint.NET, but there's also PhotoShop, Gimp and others for the job), then you open the DDS file of the mod above, or extract the original out of the game's BSA, do your magic to its coloring, and export it back into DDS, compression type DXT-1 and MipMaps enabled is all it needs, the other maps like normal/bump maps, glow maps, specularity maps, etc. for Oblivion are all stored in separate files, and for pure recolors you won't need to even touch them.

It's a simple job and quickly done to change the color of a texture for this game, but for someone else to get it to exactly the color you want is almost impossible, as you might know.

Especially if you're well-versed with the tools of the trade already, it might not hurt giving it a try and just doing it yourself in like 2 minutes of work, and achieve exactly the result you like yourself that way.

I have RA....fingers don't work well, I have voice activated keyboard...so retexturing would be very difficult. sigh. And I did download the above Vanilla Texture Recolor mod, and it does not work. I tried lots of different options, but can't get it to work. i don't have any other clothing mods so can't be conflict. In fact, I pretty much play almost mod-free. So I guess I'll have to wait for someone to take pity on me and recolor them.

Ah, well, that's a hindrance then, of course (while I don't know the abbreviation, not being a native speaker or even in the same country/language area, but I can deduce from your descriptions what it is about). It was worth a try.

Have you checked into the thing called "Archive Invalidation" already? Oblivion disc version needs it for the game to use external textures over the ones from inside the BSA, and Oblivion Steam version needs it for just about every kind of resource there is as well.

Nowadays the only advisable method for Archive Invalidation is the so-called "BSA Redirection", basically just putting an empty dummy BSA with no contents into your data folder and altering an "sArchiveList" entry inside your Oblivion.ini so it takes the place of the only BSA requiring Archive Invalidation so far, thus eliminating the very need for Archive Invalidation itself once and for all... or until something messes up your INI again and undoes the change, that is.

It can nowadays be done by the several tools inbuilt, like Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM) and its "Archive Invalidation" dialog from the Utilities menu, or Wrye Bash and its "Replacer" tab, or the Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) and a tool function from the top pulldown I think, or even by a dedicated mod called "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!" instead. BSA Redirection in most cases is the default, sometimes even labeled so in a selection, and requires absolutely no options or settings from the various choices some of the tools will offer you, just stick to the defaults and choose BSA Redirection, done.

One thing paramount with BSA Redirection is the potential existence of remnants from earlier attempts at A.I. "not" using BSA Redirection, as these mostly produced with a faulty left-over "Archive Invalidation.txt" file (or >1) inside your game's folders, which will now still do what it always does and instruct the game to use external file X over internal file X, while in the empty dummy BSA there of course is no file X, which will lead to multiple random graphics and/or texture issues. So by all means get rid of any such left-over files labeled "Archive Invalidation.txt" as soon as you applied BSA Redirection to your game. Other than that there's nothing you'll ever have to care about anymore in this regard.

And if you're on Steam, there's even a yet more important point to note that needs to by taken care of by all means... being that the BSA files coming from Steam for some absurd reason are always dated way too recently for any replacer-type files of any kind to ever have the slightest chance of success. In Oblivion file date trumps everything, every time, and with this Steam even successfully prevented BSA Redirection from working. In that case one has to "reset" the BSA files' dates back to something earlier, commonly around Oblivion's release again, either by file re-date tools I know absolutely nothing about, or simply by utilizing the function of OBMM to do exactly that for you by clicking "Reset BSA timestamps" once before applying BSA Redirection when you're already in its Utilities - Archive Invalidation dialog.

Besides the files physically not being where they should be and the game thus not finding them, Archive Invalidation missing is about the most common reason for texture replacements not to work. Again, worth a shot. :thumbsup: