ME2 ending

Lehcar

He's a bug :blink:

But I think he has feelings. The way he looks around all confused and lost, and then turn his head slowly towards the explosion right before it rips through the base and kills him really struck me...

Edited by Lehcar

Well, considering what the collectors once were, and considering the fact that they've been extremely genetically altered (to say the least), they've essentially become nothing more then puppets for the Reapers to control. "Drones" would be the most fitting description I guess.

So, in the end, I'd say it's better for the collectors to be dead then to serve an eternity as mindless zombie-slaves for a bunch of megalomaniac machines... "It's better to burn out then to fade away"

Agreeing with BlackRampage, they were pretty much just "drones". The Collectors were pretty much puppets by that point, it's even stated/suggested by Mordin (or was it EDI?) that any trace of their original minds or whatever is likely gone - and to add to that I'd say that they're pretty much restricted to base instincts. That would explain why they were looking around, confused, as their base was getting blown up. Consider it an act of mercy, the Collectors were the remains of the Protheans and they were genetically repurposed by the Reapers; a fate worse than death.

He's a bug :blink:

arnt the Collectors mostly machine? also i thought the collectors had no free-will or intelligence, all the collectors and their general were controlled by the reaper. so why feel sorry for a machine? to hell with the machines!

But I think he has feelings. The way he looks around all confused and lost, and then turn his head slowly towards the explosion right before it rips through the base and kills him really struck me...

Same... that was the one moment during the entire ending scene which stuck in my head, and it's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I remember the cinematic. The combination of the music and the Collector's expression as he turns made it really effective...

-----

For me, I found it difficult to hate the Collectors even if they were trying to blow my brains out. Like many people have mentioned above, they were altered to serve the Reaper's purposes, which also happened to involve killing Shephard whenever he/she came into sight.

Well, considering what the collectors once were, and considering the fact that they've been extremely genetically altered (to say the least), they've essentially become nothing more then puppets for the Reapers to control. "Drones" would be the most fitting description I guess.

So, in the end, I'd say it's better for the collectors to be dead then to serve an eternity as mindless zombie-slaves for a bunch of megalomaniac machines... "It's better to burn out then to fade away"

Exactly. The Collectors were heavily indoctrinated, just in the same way Saren was indoctrinated. There's really no difference between Saren and the Collectors, both were puppets long deprived of their free will.