Has Bethesda learned

Bitdman

One thing I want to know is. Has BethSoft learned from the instability problems related to Morrwind,Oblivion, and Fallout3 so we don't have to rely on other people to tell us how to tweak the game or our computers to play the best games to come out in the last two decades. Please Bethesda say you have solved these problems :blush:

Haven't heard anything about stability improvements. Better performance, a lot of rewritten and new tech but nothing about stability.

With so much changed there is a risk for new bugs but at the same time they may have taken the opportunity to fix some old ones. As Herculine indicated, only Bethesda may know.

Oh I'm sure they've learned a lot, considering that each game has become more successful and accessible than the last. What they have learned from previous games is that a really good game will sell, so long as the stability doesn't get so bad that the game's unplayable. However I'm sure they try each time to keep the game as stable as possible.

..I'm actually not at all sure where you're coming from with that post. I haven't ever had stability issues when playing Oblivion on the 360 & PC, fallout 3 on the 360 or PC, no problems with Morrowind on PC, and never had issues with New Vegas on PS3 or PC. Well... That's not entirely true for PC when I started adding mods, but that's on me.

Oh I'm sure they've learned a lot, considering that each game has become more successful and accessible than the last. What they have learned from previous games is that a really good game will sell, so long as the stability doesn't get so bad that the game's unplayable. However I'm sure they try each time to keep the game as stable as possible.

..I'm actually not at all sure where you're coming from with that post. I haven't ever had stability issues when playing Oblivion on the 360 & PC, fallout 3 on the 360 or PC, no problems with Morrowind on PC, and never had issues with New Vegas on PS3 or PC. Well... That's not entirely true for PC when I started adding mods, but that's on me.

Actually, Fallout 3 and New Vegas un-modded still crashed quite often when both games were first released. It took Bethesda quite some time to release the "fixes" in patches. Let's not forget that incident where New Vegas on the PC ran horribly slow even for people with high end rigs... at least until a patch was finally released to fix the issue; this was a fault on Bethesda's end because they should have done enough testing to avoid something so obviously wrong with New Vegas upon its initial release. Modders had to find a temporary solution to this issue way before Bethesda released the patch to fix the problem. Even with the latest patch live on PC New Vegas, some people still recommend turning off the slow-mo kill camera to avoid CTD or game freezes.

Well, since they're now using an engine of their own design I would imagine that they would have more ability to make it stable.

That's a very good point. It's their engine, so if they want it to do something they should well be able to make it do it.

I'm really hoping that it will be stable.

For me, Oblivion and Fallout 3 ran really well on my old machine. But ever since I built myself a new PC, Fallout 3 became unplayable (modded or not). It would crash randomly from anything within 5 minutes to 2 hours. Oblivion still works perfectly though (and about 30 other games, old and new).

I spent ages trying to find fixes throughout the year and eventually just gave up on it... never got to try out any DLCs, nor did I feel motivated to give New Vegas a try.

If Skyrim has some issues like that... then I'll just cry or something.

I dunno.. Maybe I'm a little too forgiving on devs. Maybe. I agree that on a console the game ought to work near flawlessly, considering the dev knows exactly what the game is going to be played on, with maybe minor differences here and there. But for PC, glitches and problems that can be patched are entirely forgivable, when you consider the fact that the hardware used to play the game on PC is entirely out of their hands. It's literally impossible to test each combination of hardware in existence today. All they can really do is program for the most popular stuff, and hope that the other hardware out there doesn't have unexpected idiosyncrasies that catalyst catastrophic systematic cataclysms of cantankerous qualities. :sweat:

It will like every game on PC.... rock-solid stable on some systems, but constantly crashing on others.

That's the downside of modular PC systems - the combination of parts is almost infinite, and no matter how much testing they do, there'll be some combination that causes problems. Hence the inevitable patches within a week or two of release..

All we can hope is that the large amount new coding will help create greater stability. But to guarantee 100% stability is impossible.