Suggestions and Advice

justaking

Hello everyone,

This is my first time trying mods with Oblivion (everyone now groan). I read through many of the tutorials and help guides and as they all say, it is not too difficult to figure out (as long as you can read).

I suppose I got a bit carried away in my enthusiasm, as there was just an unprecedented number of things to choose from for me. I downloaded about sixty mods and tried to install them all ( i know.. i shouldn't have done that). Of course there were untold issues with compatibility, etc. So here are my questions.

1. Is there a list or lists of mods that are known to function together from other gamers experience?

2. Or even better are there packs that can be downloaded that bundle a bunch of similar mods together, such as race mods in one, UI changes, quests, etc.

If not, then could anyone suggest a few good mods that will work for me, together, as far as what I am looking for. I am looking for Mods that

1. Give more race options

2. More options on character creation in general.

3. Add more quests in old locations.

4. Add new quests in new locations on and off the vanilla map.

5. Add more items, weapons, armour, clothing, etc.

6. Add options to do, non-quest related, such as planting crops, etc.

Also another quick question which I'll just stick in here for good measure. How do I turn borders off...? I keep seeing mods say they require it, but I am not sure how to it. Thank you for any and all help, suggestions and the rest. I hope everyone continues to have as much fun playing this game as I have.

JustaKing

Sounds like you need FCOM and Cosmetic Compilation. :D FCOM is a pain to set up, but when it is you will be swimming in armor, weapons, and tons of quests. I don't have anything specific that runs off the main map, but I know there are a few. I know for sure there is a certain mod that adds an entire desert region, but forgot the name of it. It's on Nexus, though...

Sounds like you need FCOM and Cosmetic Compilation. :D FCOM is a pain to set up, but when it is you will be swimming in armor, weapons, and tons of quests. I don't have anything specific that runs off the main map, but I know there are a few. I know for sure there is a certain mod that adds an entire desert region, but forgot the name of it. It's on Nexus, though...

Thanks, i'll look into it.

Desert region mod mentioned would be Elsewyr Anequinae I believe.

For massive quest mods, try The Lost Spires and Integration: the Stranded Light.

FCOM does a lot of stuff for you, there IS a pre-setup "Superpack" if you google for it but it adds several optional mods some people might prefer to be without. The Bashed Patch instructions are really useful though.

Also Integration: The Stranded Light requires Race Balancing Project, and less annoying magic experience.

RBP will cover the races part by adding 8 lore correct and balanced races to the game. For other creation options you could try using one of the many alternate start mods, some of which let you set background info for your character.

For more items checkthe list of lists topic. There's lists for a lot of the things you are asking for:

3&4: The oblivion quest list.

5: The leveled list items list

6: Roleplaying list, and the immersion list

thank you for all the help. A lot of stuff to look for and through, heh. Here's hoping it works.

Don't forget some utilities to get them in the right order! :D Some helpful utilities would be BOSS and TES4EDIT. Also, WryeBash is incredibly helpful - just be sure to download everything required (Python, ect.) Oblivion Mod Manager is great also, for opening OMODs and such, but I prefer WyreBash myself. A Smidgen more reliable.

Thanks again for all the help.. unfortunately, this "easy" process continues to elude me...and I can't get it to work for the life of me.

I've wiped and reinstalled it all three times now. I followed the directions to the letter..well obviously not to the letter, because it does not work...it won't even launch. I even disabled all the mods and the plain game wont even launch now, haha. What did I do? I have no idea but i'm about done. I'm doing something wrong and it's not clear what to me but i'm runnign outta daylight. Thanks for trying. See ya later everyone.

Here is a link to my complete uninstall/reinstall procedure located in the articles section of the Nexus

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=240

It allows you to preserve any saves and mods, or remove them completely - your choice.

Thank you for the advice. I tried several more times and I finally have it running. :))) still some problems but i'm ironing them out.. slowly..