missing meshes

justaking

Hello everyone. I created a topic on this, but still can't figure it out, so I thought i'd try to post it here.

My meshes are missing....and it tells me this in-game, with a big yellow star icon saying "WTF, I'm missing a mesh" in every spot where i suppose a mesh is supposed to be..usually where a chest is or maybe a stream of light, i'm not sure.. I have OOO, Cobl and MMM running as well as Enhanced weather and quest mods. How do you take a screenshot of the desktop again? If that will help I can do that and show my OMM files. I tried to copy and paste separate meshes to replace them, but that has failed to fix it too. I have been trying to get this operational for three days now, if anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it.

Oh, i'm also on windows XP and I dont think its a graphics error or anything, because vanilla ran fine.

Also, I apologize for posting this twice, It was an accident, I posted it in the wrong spot somehow and i'm going right now to see if i can delete it. Not enough sleep these past three dayys.

Crap...they both went to the same place.. I am really sorry aboutthis. I obviously have no idea what I am doing. I will stop now.

Edited by justaking

A friend showed me a trick once you might try ..

deinstall omods that have the issues then remove your Oblivion.ini from your "my games/oblivion" folder then re-iniciate oblivion once ( this will place a clean oblivion.ini in the My games/oblivion folder again) after that try to reinstall your mods again (obmm might has had an issue installing them) might be a good idear to re pack the mods in question aswell.

Missing mesh usually means it was not installed properly. Any associated texture is usually missing also. The first thing you need to know is what mod put it there.

Refscope is a mod that can help find what mod it was http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=21862

Then try reinstalling that mod.

Another common problem is the mesh was installed into a data folder inside of the real data folder. In that case try MOVING the contents of the inner data folder into the outer one.

Learning to use either OMODs from OBMM or Bain from Wrye Bash will make installing and uninstalling mods as well as working with them much easier.

For troubleshooting, see if you still have this issue with no mods active.

If not, there is a problem with the way you are installing the meshes. Try it this way; open your Oblivion folder (first sub-folder should be "Data") in one window, and a mod that you are missing meshes for in another window (make sure you have extracted using 7zip). Drag the "Meshes" folder from your mod over to the other window and drop it into the "Data" folder. note; while a lot of people install everything this way, i would recomend installing via OBMM.

If so, then you are missing vanilla meshes. You may have to reinstall the game, But before you do, make sure you have learned how to install everything correctly and test any other mods you may be interested in. Make all your mistakes now, learn from them, and start fresh.

Sorry if this post seems redundant, i need to learn to type faster.

Edited by eric31415

Thank you everyone for the help.

Ok, here's what I did. First, I tried the whole Bash thing...not a good idea!! At first it seemed as if everything was just swimming along. I was followed the pdf, progressing well, things were happening, i was getting excited! But no.. i royally retarded that one somehow. The thing was so messed up I had to start from scratch again.

Next I went back to Oblivion Mod Manager. Tried to install some new texture packs, meshes..animations, nothing doing.

So finally I started picking through my active mods.. one by one.. disabling and testing (becaus ei had no idea which file was causing the missing textures). Well, turns out OOO was in conflict with something or I installed it incorrectly, because while it was active, the problem persisted (I also had to deactivate Enhanced Weather as it was causing the same problem...with and without OOO active).

So with those two inactive everything works fine. I am redownloading OOO to try installing it one more time (the single complete file this time) and hopefully that will be the end of it. If not I'll just have to do without OOO, as amazing of a mod it is.

Thank you ALL once again for your patience and continued help. I couldn't have done it without you. I'll have more questions in the future, I'm sure ;) I just hope I can use all this to in turn help others out as you have helped me.

• 7 years later...