Skyrim Next Gen Remake Idea

Jawsuleashed

So with the recent trend of remasters and remakes of old-gen games, it seem that Bethesda is a bit behind everyone else in the market. But I figured out something that they could do with Skyrim, and their games in general, in order to make unique remasters.

So they have this big modding community, with lots of additional content created by modders. The thing for a truely unique remaster of Skyrim, besides 64 bits and Directx11 or 12, would be that Bethesda will take a big list of mods that improve the game (Frostfall, Immersive Creatures, Wet and Cold, ENBs, Footprints, SMIM and even perhaps USKPL or additional content like 3DNPC...) and put it in their next-gen remaster. Of course they will not take the mod as they are now, they may tweak it, and will make sure that compatiblity is fine, and they will perhaps unify everything in a new Big ESM. I'm not sure about what Bethesda's policy is about reusing content from mods, perhaps they can do it for free, or they might have to ask for the permission or credit modders. They could also make contracts with modders (I know it's a sensitive subject with all the bulls*** there was about paid mods, but this is nothing like paid mods).

So just imagine an Ultra Legendary version of Skyrim with ENBs, fixes, Highres meshes and additional content that will be sold on both PCs and consoles.

Of course you could argue that you can already do it on PC if you mod your game; but the thing is that modding is a small niche and the process to learn how to correctly mod your game take a long time. You have to learn a lot of things just in order to have a functionnal modded Skyrim, and the process is very frustrating, but strangely addicting (for me anyways).

Here we would have a 64 bits DX11/12 stable Skyrim with an insane amount of additional contents (That thing would be the biggest remaster ever made in term of new content) easy to install for non modders on both PC and Consoles. Of course this version will still be moddable, and since it would be the same engine I think ports will be easy.

Besides, modders will be credited if there is some kind of contract, so they will have more business oportunities. I mean to have Skyrim and Bethesda on your résumé is both awesome and useful in my opinion.

I think that would be a big revolution in gaming and modding, and it seem more convincing than the clusterf*#@ that was the paid mods.

So sorry if it's already been suggested, or if this thread doesn't make any sense, it's my first time posting.

So the idea now, is to tell what you think, and propose ideas of mods that could make the Ultra Legendary Remaster list. I already gave a few, but there might be more, and you could make categories like:

Likely (Pretty but boring remaster):

-Frostfall

-Wet and Cold

-ENB

-SMIM

-Immersive Creatures/Armors/Weapons(+ individual weapons/armors/creatures mods)

-Footprints

-Dyndolod

-Needs mod...

-Pure weathers or COT

Less likely (Holy s*** that's a lot of new content!):

-USKP

-3DNPC (That would be tough with all the voice acting)

-Populated series and Inconsequential NPCs...

Unlikely but it would be awesome (Holy s*** it's a new game with an insane amount of content!):
-Combat mods

-Perks mods

-SOT

-ASIS

-DLC sized mods (Falskaar...)...

Insanity (WTF Bethesda!):

-SOS/UNP/CBBE

-Really useful Dragons...

Of course Bethesda will be the one considering which mod or not to add on the list, but I think a modder's generated list that will be checked by them could be useful if they ever make it. I don't know if some people on this forum that would be interested by the idea could tell Bethesda about it.

Edited by Jawsuleashed

Would be cool if Bethesda rereleased Skyrim for current-gen with improved graphics and maybe a new DLC. Though this is very farfetched.
I know for a fact they already ported over Skyrim to XBone, but they never showed interest in a release.
But i tell u if they do they'll sell like hotcakes.

• 3 months later...

I've heard about the remaster for Skyrim for consoles. My understanding is that one of the main target features would be mod support on the console. I wasn't aware if they were planning anything that would be applicable to PC. I just hope they don't make you buy it again. Though being Bethesda and what I understand it would include, they probably will. It will ultimately depend on how much work they're putting into it. Just releasing a new exe for pc wouldn't be that much. Things like: higher res textures, higher poly models, porting to a new graphics system or even console (PS4/XBONE anyone?) or anything related to actual content changes like that, would be a bigger labor sink and justify some sort of charge.

So they have this big modding community, with lots of additional content created by modders. The thing for a truely unique remaster of Skyrim, besides 64 bits and Directx11 or 12, would be that Bethesda will take a big list of mods that improve the game (Frostfall, Immersive Creatures, Wet and Cold, ENBs, Footprints, SMIM and even perhaps USKPL or additional content like 3DNPC...) and put it in their next-gen remaster. Of course they will not take the mod as they are now, they may tweak it, and will make sure that compatiblity is fine, and they will perhaps unify everything in a new Big ESM. I'm not sure about what Bethesda's policy is about reusing content from mods, perhaps they can do it for free, or they might have to ask for the permission or credit modders. They could also make contracts with modders (I know it's a sensitive subject with all the bulls*** there was about paid mods, but this is nothing like paid mods).

I'd have to revisit the licensing terms of the CK to verify, but I believe If they used mod assets either with or without permission it would be in violation of those terms. Using without permission would be a copyright violation any way you look at it. Whose rights could be up for debate depending on what was re-used. There's also concerns about licenses granted to the authors of the mods. For example if a mod author used a student version of 3DS Max or Maya, where the licenses state that anything created with them cannot be used commercially or sold. There's other legal implications related to copyright infringement, very close to the whole problem issues with the current XBox modding for Fallout 4.

Insanity (WTF Bethesda!):
-SOS/UNP/CBBE

They couldn't include those for a multitude of reasons. One of the primary ones being the authors will likely say "NO!" that they can't use them. Then there's the issue of them being adult in nature and not meeting the existing rating criteria. The game wasn't rated for nudity (same as Fallout 4) which is one of the other primary reasons those mods are disallowed on Bethesda.net.

#Jawsuleashed

nice idea

but that is unlikely to happen

you want next-gen graphics that means all and every single texture from skyrim has to be rework as most new game engines are using physical based rendering - as an result most of the meshes need to be tweak to fit in the better graphics too. Pretty much you have to redo the whole game including the mods you like to include. Na here is the point when you have to redo the mods than you pretty much don't have to ask the original mod author for permission as you actually don't use any of there assets (contents created with ck anyway belongs more or less to Bethesda)

Ask yourself the question - when you have to put in so much work(which cost money) and go with the same old gameplay and story which every-one already knows??

From a business perspective that makes no sense and with all the rumors and wishful thinking I don't think that Skyrim is the game that Bethesda is going to "re-master".

So looks like I was right about the remaster. At least for the 64 bits and DX11 upgrade. But I wonder if Bethesda actually did take some things from modders, we can't know it yet from the trailer and the little info we have right now, but it would interesting to see if some modders or some guy who know basic stuff about the engine and mods could dig into the files of the special edition in order to see if it there is some straight port of Skyrim mods.

Judging by the trailer, it seems that the meshes and textures are the same as the HD DLC pack, however, the visuals look very similar to a SweetFX mod. Water look like new, snow shaders too and so does the godrays. I wonder if some people with more expertise on visual stuff could identify some mod feature in the trailer.

The Steam page also offers several visual pics without video compression.

So looks like I was right about the remaster. At least for the 64 bits and DX11 upgrade. But I wonder if Bethesda actually did take some things from modders, we can't know it yet from the trailer and the little info we have right now, but it would interesting to see if some modders or some guy who know basic stuff about the engine and mods could dig into the files of the special edition in order to see if it there is some straight port of Skyrim mods.

Judging by the trailer, it seems that the meshes and textures are the same as the HD DLC pack, however, the visuals look very similar to a SweetFX mod. Water look like new, snow shaders too and so does the godrays. I wonder if some people with more expertise on visual stuff could identify some mod feature in the trailer.

While it looks "promising" (I guess), I'm curious to know if this is going to be considered a DLC or a new game. And either way if current owners will be required to purchase it or if it will be a free thing for existing owners. I didn't see any details to such on the steam page.

While it looks "promising" (I guess), I'm curious to know if this is going to be considered a DLC or a new game. And either way if current owners will be required to purchase it or if it will be a free thing for existing owners. I didn't see any details to such on the steam page.

The SPecial Edition is free for those who already own SKyrim and all its DLC or the Legendary edition on Steam. Currently is unknown if this is applicable to consoles yet.