Annoying sound playing instead of Dialogue

Dart3145

So I've started playing FO3 again after not playing it for about 4 months and for some odd reason dialogue with npcs no longer plays and in its place a very loud high pitched buzzing noise plays, now I've searched the forums and so far I haven't run across anyone else having this problem I haven't installed any new mods recently but I'm thinking it might be an issues with audio codecs, I'm not sure but any one with any insight is a help.

So I've started playing FO3 again after not playing it for about 4 months and for some odd reason dialogue with npcs no longer plays and in its place a very loud high pitched buzzing noise plays, now I've searched the forums and so far I haven't run across anyone else having this problem I haven't installed any new mods recently but I'm thinking it might be an issues with audio codecs, I'm not sure but any one with any insight is a help.

Go into your games music folder and play every file until you locate the bad one. Do the same for the sound folder as well. Make sure first it's not a corrupted file thats getting called up. in the data folder after you have checked each one. you can do a search for the file extensions and recheck that list. it most likely will find some that were missed. I had that only one time. Right after a defrag and system crash during that operation. One other way to make sure is scan-disk your hard drive for corruption.

I've checked all the files like you've suggested and none of them where corrupted, I have how ever figured out that it only happens when the pipboy radio is on and playing music.

<br>I've checked all the files like you've suggested and none of them where corrupted, I have how ever figured out that it only happens when the pipboy radio is on and playing music.<br>
<br><br> Edited by ccmechanic2

I've checked all the files like you've suggested and none of them where corrupted, I have how ever figured out that it only happens when the pipboy radio is on and playing music.

So now that you Haven t found file corruption, you have to figure out how the dialog problem came about. Why? because a file is a file, Ergo other files may suffer from this as well. When these things happen, you must take notice. It will not only effect your game. It can effect your system as well. Nif files are notorious for corruption in Fo3, start up screens too. Save game are famous for this as well. It may not be game related at all though the files get messed with, I would advise caution with your system if media files are being effected. In certain parts of the UK they don't allow windows media to run on their systems or to be installed from the get go because of the things it does. I read that some where. The pip boy problem occers do to file corruptions. I have had that happen too. the fix was to replace the messed up files and the pip radio worked fine then. I use the sound packs too because I can stand the vanilla sound pack. you can use one of those to replace the files with. This is just saying to put out caution. After a long time of non use, nothing should be wrong where as this is not the case in your query. This is the insight you requested for this weird problem. So can disk found nothing well then, is the drive fragmented?

yeah I'm not really sure what it is but I normally run disk defragmenter once a month but it has been awhile since my last run, I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll just run a clean install and see if that helps.

yeah I'm not really sure what it is but I normally run disk defragmenter once a month but it has been awhile since my last run, I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll just run a clean install and see if that helps.

what you can also do is load the cd and explore it, extract the sound files to replace what you have. Music too.