Save option greyed out!

thecatpetter

For some reason, the save button suddenly became greyed out and when I try to save through the console, Skyrim says that it cannot save any this time. Autosaves still work. This started after I installed some new mods but after I removed them, the problem persists no matter what I do. I've tried disabling every plugin (except for DLC and unofficial legendary patch). Am I doomed?

I have the latest Skyrim and skse and unofficial patches. I've tried running TESV and Skyrimlauncher with administrator privileges. I moved my saves to another location and when I opened the launcher, Skyrim added back all my saves. I think this means that writing saves isn't a problem.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Fx-8320
8GB RAM
Gigabyte G1 Gamin GTX 970 4GB SOC

Edited by thecatpetter

For some reason, the save button suddenly became greyed out and when I try to save through the console, Skyrim says that it cannot save any this time. Autosaves still work. This started after I installed some new mods but after I removed them, the problem persists no matter what I do. I've tried disabling every plugin (except for DLC and unofficial legendary patch). Am I doomed?

I have the latest Skyrim and skse and unofficial patches. I've tried running TESV and Skyrimlauncher with administrator privileges. I moved my saves to another location and when I opened the launcher, Skyrim added back all my saves. I think this means that writing saves isn't a problem.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

AMD Fx-8320

8GB RAM

Gigabyte G1 Gamin GTX 970 4GB SOC

I occasionally get this when a script is actively trying to set up animations with FNIS. Try and clean your save to speed up scripts. Save Cleaner will also advise on the heaviest scripts affecting your game.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys!

yes, I have this exact same problem with my Skyrim game on PC. I have tried EEVVEERRYYTTHHIINNGG to get my "save" option fixed. No matter which character I chose to load up, the save option is always greyed out.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall and nothing. Even tried disabling autosave. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? How did this problem occur? I don't understand any of this crap.

Please help me out here ASAP. I am sick and tired of this.

Hey guys!

yes, I have this exact same problem with my Skyrim game on PC. I have tried EEVVEERRYYTTHHIINNGG to get my "save" option fixed. No matter which character I chose to load up, the save option is always greyed out.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall and nothing. Even tried disabling autosave. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? How did this problem occur? I don't understand any of this crap.

Please help me out here ASAP. I am sick and tired of this.

what i assume is that you deleted the mods straight out of your game,but while its okay for normal mods,high script mods need to be removed differently or it causes issues on every save you made with the culprit:

for removing script heavy mods (that you made save games with):

remove all items in your possession (if you got any from the mod),then disable the mod in the load order ,go ingame and save with it disabled...then remove it...

though i am guesing that ain't it and i'l see if i can dig anything up

BUT

on the second note: try uninstalling the game ,then deleting your documents-my games-Skyrim folder aswell as the skyrim folder in : "your computer user name"-appdata (normally a hidden folder,you will have to enable the option to show hidden files) -local-Skyrim

some skyrim settings (aswell as the list of dlcs and mods you have in your load order) can be found in the appdata-local-skyrim ,therebefore it can cause some issues sometimes,if you unistall the game,try emptying is contents

Edited by charliedfsf

• 8 months later...

Just had this issue happen to me, on a game that's been on and fully modded since 2013.
Out of the blue, inside a custom house I was filling my containers with alchemy-ingredients and
got a few CTD's which I tracked down to the recently added Quick-loot, removing this (no .esp, just .swf)
I noticed when loading up my game that the SAVE option was grayed out and can't be pressed...
As written above, it's not only the current player, but every game I load hereafter is 'locked' from saving like this.

The option to use Save Cleaner is not a viable option as it requires the console-command 'save mysave 1', whereas
the game replies it can't save at this moment -_- However, travelling generates autosaves... Gonna' look at alternatives
to Skyrim Save Cleaner if something has a different approach, or at random disable a few of the heaviest mod's (Save Cleaners
option to show script-intense files would sure help)... *sigh*

EDiT: My issue was resolved, after testing another Save Cleaner with more options and working on just plain saves, but it made
no difference besides like 200+ orphaned scripts being removed ^_^
Even tried some idiotic proposal to run as Admin, which I allready basically do as I take ownership of all folders/files.
The culprit for me was a left over SKSE-plugin (DATA/SKSE) as described above I only removed the .swf and the .ini-files
for Quick-loot leaving the .dll file which probably made SKSE make an evil loop or something, now I can save again!!
Wasn't looking forwards to re-installing as a "solution" with 1000's of hours of gameplay on different characters, and yes,
that was the weird bit I couldn't figure out, how this greyed out save (and not being able to save from console, only fast-travel)
could affect *all* my characters... Hope this helps anyone out where to look though.
Maybe I should clean them out non-theless as the game acted/loaded a bit faster? :p

Edited by Voyager23

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick and easy fix for me was to simply disable the 'Quickloot' mod. I made sure the folders were clean of any leftover .dlls and it works like a charm n

I like you man, thank you for bringing this suggestion, you're a life saver.

To whoever made the Quick Loot mod (sorry im bad at remembering random peoples names) that PLEASE fix this issue