Dual-Wielding, Blocking, and You

Jagex

I noticed in the minute 9:03 in the 14min demo that the guy fighting the player does a sort of blocking movement, of course im not really sure about this, thats just how it looks to me, hopefully that means wielding a shield is not the only way to block atacks

What 14 min demo?!

I noticed in the minute 9:03 in the 14min demo that the guy fighting the player does a sort of blocking movement, of course im not really sure about this, thats just how it looks to me, hopefully that means wielding a shield is not the only way to block atacks

What 14 min demo?!

the video is in the info thread

According to what I have read, they removed hotkeys and replaced it with a favorites menu in which you bookmark everything you need to it, which not only pauses the game when you open it, but also seems to force you to scroll through a list.But then I read in a recent article that you have separate hotkeys for each hand....which just confuses me.As for the blocking, I'm pretty sure you block with the block button and still attack with the attack button (but with dual wield animations), I think your ability to block is only removed if you have a spell in one hand.

I've never much cared about dual-wielding. It looks cool, but quite often in games the trade-off for that is you end up doing less damage, not more. I figure there's a few Drizzt Do'Urden fans that like it because he makes it sound so hardcore, but am I wrong in assuming it does less, not more, damage?

Do we have anyone here who has some training in sword fighting? What would a dual weilder do in real life.=? In Oblivion they did have blocking with swords so why would they change that in Skyrim?

I too vaguely remember reading that dodge would be used.

In reality there wouldn't be a dual wielder unless you are talking about flintlock firearms. On swords it would be better to use both hands with one sword or a shield and sword combo. Dual wielding was most popular in video games and popular culture but it isn't too common in real life. Only time it would be used as I said on flintlock pistols since instead you would have two shots in case you miss the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have anyone here who has some training in sword fighting? What would a dual weilder do in real life.=? In Oblivion they did have blocking with swords so why would they change that in Skyrim?

In reality there wouldn't be a dual wielder unless you are talking about flintlock firearms. On swords it would be better to use both hands with one sword or a shield and sword combo. Dual wielding was most popular in video games and popular culture but it isn't too common in real life. Only time it would be used as I said on flintlock pistols since instead you would have two shots in case you miss the first one.

I know this thread hasn't been posted to for a few weeks, but I wanted to address this anyways - my response may be misplaced given that this thread is addressing a video game, but the poster did post an opinion regarding reality, so...

Re the dual wielding being only a popular culture or video game phenomena - what exactly is the support for that?

There are plenty of actual martial systems/combat methods that address weapons in either/both hands - eastern and western. Take the rapier/main gauche found in Renaissance era Europe. There are also several styles of Iaido and Kenjutsu that focus on using two swords simultaneously. The same is also true of Chinese Martial Arts (daggers, clubs, hook swords, rooster knives, sun/moon knives, even the standard jian and dao). The Thai art of Krabi Krabong also trains the use of dual weapons. Of course, I haven't studied all of those particular method of fighting, so let me comment on what I have studied: Pekiti Tirsia Kali, which is a Filipino Martial Art with a substantial dual wielding curriculum (stick/knife, sword/knife, stick/stick, knife/knife, sword/sword, and any other mix and match combo you want). Interestingly, many of the basics from FMA in general were borrowed/stolen from the Spanish and have roots in western sword fighting arts - with lots of native flavor (for instance moving from linear movement patterns to angled footwork).

So, in short, the use of two weapons simultaneously is not simply a pop culture, movie, video game fantasy. There is a long history of actual use. It may not have been the most common methods used, but that stems from the finesse and training required to make use of two weapons simultaneously. Anybody can take two swords and use one to block and one to strike (one held in front and the other cocked back to strike). That does not require much skill; however, to be able to attack, defend, and swing either or both (and sometimes simultaneously) without injuring yourself does require pretty extensive training and familiarity (blade orientation, distance and the ability to strike with power with either weapon). It essentially requires a person to develop ambidexterity. From a realistic perspective, putting the time into training this is beneficial as now I am comfortable using even a single weapon in either hand...

It was asked earlier what somebody actually trained to dual wield weapons would do. There are myriad ways to block with two weapons (even if you are blocking a large heavy weapon with knives), you either move offline and in and attack/block the limb holding the weapon, or you move offline and out and redirect it as it lands. With swords you could gunting (scissor) that attaching weapon or limb - which has one of your weapons actually negating the attack and the other sweeping it out of the way, or you could use both to stop the attack.

Back to discussing the game - I would be pretty disappointed if they do not allow blocking while dual wielding as it is counter-intuitive.

Jed

I know this thread hasn't been posted to for a few weeks, but I wanted to address this anyways - my response may be misplaced given that this thread is addressing a video game, but the poster did post an opinion regarding reality, so...

Re the dual wielding being only a popular culture or video game phenomena - what exactly is the support for that?

There are plenty of actual martial systems/combat methods that address weapons in either/both hands - eastern and western. Take the rapier/main gauche found in Renaissance era Europe. There are also several styles of Iaido and Kenjutsu that focus on using two swords simultaneously. The same is also true of Chinese Martial Arts (daggers, clubs, hook swords, rooster knives, sun/moon knives, even the standard jian and dao). The Thai art of Krabi Krabong also trains the use of dual weapons. Of course, I haven't studied all of those particular method of fighting, so let me comment on what I have studied: Pekiti Tirsia Kali, which is a Filipino Martial Art with a substantial dual wielding curriculum (stick/knife, sword/knife, stick/stick, knife/knife, sword/sword, and any other mix and match combo you want). Interestingly, many of the basics from FMA in general were borrowed/stolen from the Spanish and have roots in western sword fighting arts - with lots of native flavor (for instance moving from linear movement patterns to angled footwork).

So, in short, the use of two weapons simultaneously is not simply a pop culture, movie, video game fantasy. There is a long history of actual use. It may not have been the most common methods used, but that stems from the finesse and training required to make use of two weapons simultaneously. Anybody can take two swords and use one to block and one to strike (one held in front and the other cocked back to strike). That does not require much skill; however, to be able to attack, defend, and swing either or both (and sometimes simultaneously) without injuring yourself does require pretty extensive training and familiarity (blade orientation, distance and the ability to strike with power with either weapon). It essentially requires a person to develop ambidexterity. From a realistic perspective, putting the time into training this is beneficial as now I am comfortable using even a single weapon in either hand...

It was asked earlier what somebody actually trained to dual wield weapons would do. There are myriad ways to block with two weapons (even if you are blocking a large heavy weapon with knives), you either move offline and in and attack/block the limb holding the weapon, or you move offline and out and redirect it as it lands. With swords you could gunting (scissor) that attaching weapon or limb - which has one of your weapons actually negating the attack and the other sweeping it out of the way, or you could use both to stop the attack.

Back to discussing the game - I would be pretty disappointed if they do not allow blocking while dual wielding as it is counter-intuitive.

Jed

Thanks for that!

I'm learning Chinese martial arts right now and there indeed are several dual-wielding styles. But I am no expert in this since I am but a beginner. Thanks a lot for the information! :thumbsup:

I think the problem with that is implementing realistic dual-wielding that would allow you to combo/parry with the blades. It'd be neat if they could fit a realistic system into the game, but I don't see that happening with this entry of TES. I haven't actually studied styles involving two swords, but I've seen shows on the Military channel and Discovery that display single edge/double edged blades being used to pressure the opponent into defense and the rapier and main gauche combo being used defensively by parrying with one and thrusting with the other. I have no doubt someone could make animations and scripting for a mod version of this.

I was going to make a joke about dual-wielding fists (a running monk/barbarian joke between me and my brother), but Google failed to bring me a humorous picture of the act.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/pinch.gif