Random Attack in Town?

HelloStranger

So I've started a new game to experience a pure-mage playstyle, with no cheats at all, and only cosmetic mods implemented. :P

As soon as I got out of the sewers I go off to do the mages guild entry quests, and go to Leyawiin first. So I do the quest just fine and as I'm back in Leyawiin going back to deliver the seer's stone, I'm suddenly attacked by some Argonian named "Jebeet". She was pretty strong, taking down half my health with 1 arrow-shot. ._. (But then I'm level 1 at this point, 40 hp) I eventually get her down, and check and see she's got elven armor and weapons. (Elven stuff begins showing up when you're level 15... not level 1. So she wasn't leveled with me at all. ._.)

Normally I'd count this towards a Mythic Dawn thing, but I haven't even really started on the main quest yet. I haven't delivered the amulet yet. :P And usually those attacks are from existing NPCs and turn into the agents as they're attacking or have mythic dawn commentaries on them when dead. Jebeet wasn't an NPC already in the game, I searched her on oblivionwiki with no results.

I've never had this happen to me before, so I'm just wondering why it happened...? xD (certainly didn't mind the money from her loots though ;D)

If you are worried about where she came from, open the console and click on her. The first two characters of the ID shown in the console should be the module she was created by, in load order, in Hexedecimal (use OBMM or Wrye Bash ro see the load order). So if the string is 0C012345, you are looking for the 12th (0C=12) module in the load order.

A few mods accidentally include things they never intended to. For example, I had an animal mod that turned out to affect a vanilla quest for no reason I could ever figure out. It caused NPCs to attack each other and a named NPC in the Imperial city. I don't know if the modder intended that in his/her own game, but I think it was probably not intended to be in the release. I would not be at all surprised if one of your cosmetic mods added an unleveled npc. It might even have been a test npc. Did it have a custom race, eyes, hair or other item you recognize from one of your cosmetic mods perhaps?

Yeah I'm thinking it's a mod too now. I've been attacked several times now, and in Chorrol I was attacked by the same person twice. "Eliana". A mage that kills me in one hit x_x ( I have the apprentice sign so... yeah, ouch.) I'm just confused as to figure out which one it is doing it.

I checked her and her starting ID "1b0" Which I'm guessing is 21? Maybe?

I've had a problem for a while now whenever I open OBMM it seems to shuffle my load order... (yes it's set on "load order" listing) I remember clicking something once and it started doing that ever since, I can't figure out for the life of me what it was I clicked.

So I opened Bash and the 21st mod is MiniMap. I've used that mod for quite a long time now, so I don't think it's that. I'm suspicious of a custom race I downloaded to check out a couple days ago. "DKImperials". The timing meets up and when I open Bash it lists it in red. I've got no idea what that means cause I usually use OBMM instead.

So I'll see what disabling that does. :P

Edit: Nope not that one.

Edited by HelloStranger

"Red" in Bash means you are missing something which the file needs - or the thing it needs is being loaded after not before.

Use BOSS to sort out your load order, then see what Wrye Bash gives you. You may well need to build a Bashed Patch - use the Wrye Bash pictorial tutorial to learn how.

I found what it was! Since after organizing my load order with BOSS I still couldn't figure it out, I used the dumb-person method and just disabled a bunch of mods and narrowed it down to what it was. xD

Turns out it was "LTDVampireOverhaul". Just a redo of the vampire playstyle I used for a past character, and just didn't remember to disable it. One of the features of this mod was it would send vampire hunters after you occasionally in towns. I'm not a vampire on this character, but I'm using the x117 Lop-Ear Elf Mini race for this character. Due to it being an unusual race I'm thinking it somehow was reading I was a vampire and went ahead and sent the vampire hunters after me. I remember the hunters being pretty damn strong when fighting them on my vampire, so it all makes sense now.

Thanks people. ;D

Edited by HelloStranger

I checked her and her starting ID "1b0" Which I'm guessing is 21? Maybe?

1b (Hex) = 27 (Decimal)

Handy hint. Open Windows Calculator, select "Hex", enter number in hex, select "Dec" and see the equivalent.

Refscope is also very handy for finding out what mod created any object in the game. Just click the "spell," click on the object, and it'll tell you where it came from.

Glad you found this out so quickly. Mods can interrelate in the strangest ways, sometimes.

Edited by Balakirev