LW does not start MAC

mpicorelli

Aha. EW changes the game launcher. It now fires up a menu where you choose EU or EW, and then re-launches with the chosen game. If you happen to have installed "TexMod", then you need to read this wiki article. TexMod renames the launcher and can cause this sort of issue. Which is what drove the creation of that article.

-Dubious-

As you had said you originally got EW running before installing LW, I have been assuming you are running under OS/X, which is an Apple version of Linux. If this is not true, please let me know. (My experience with Macs is a couple of decades out of date.)

As none of the LW developers have a Mac of any variety (last I knew), everything for the Mac is just a variation on the Linux distribution. Which means that we don't know the names or functions of the Mac specific tools that don't have a Linux equivalent. What is "seam"? If you meant "Steam", it wouldn't, and you don't want to be launching from the Steam Client interface anyway.

If you don't have TexMod, then simply forget about that. I only mentioned it because you can get those symptoms with it.

You don't normally modify the launcher. Adding EW does that. As you bought EW as part of a package, it's installation should be integrated with the basic game install. You should find the "XEW" folder under the "SteamApps/common/XCom-Enemy-Unknown" folder. And if you are unable to get vanilla EW to launch, then you have a corrupt install.

In which case, you should backup your save games to another location, completely uninstall EU/EW, delete the "user files" for the game, reboot (to flush out any resident drivers), delete any leftover XCOM folders that did not get removed, and re-install. First get EU stable, then try to run EW and get it stable. Then get into "offline mod". Only then should you try to install LW following the "Basic Guide" and paying attention to the "OS/X mod installation" section with the occasional look at the Linux instructions for the basic process. If there are problems, check the LW install log and report back here.

Unfortunately it has often taken Mac users several installs to get things functional. Don't know why, but usually it just suddenly seems to work.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Still no solution

As you said I tried to uninstall everything and then install again. I've got no error message and I can't choose EU or EW; it always starts EU. I tried to find the route to directly start just EW but there's no option to do that.

Right now I'm not thinking in LW, I just want to run EW.

That sounds like EW did not get installed. The definitive test is to look under the "Feral" tree for the "XEW" folder. That should be something similar to "~/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown/XEW". If the "XEW" folder is not present, then EW did not get installed. Might be something as simple as you forgot to enable a checkbox in the game installer.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Hello again

I'm going to miss this when it's over :laugh:

I'm sure that EW is installed. Recently I tried to install steam and the game on external HDD but it didn't work. It goes like this HDD/Steam/steamapps/common/Xcom-Enemy-Unknown/XCOMData/XEW and then the're three folders: Binaries, Engine and XComGame. I've tried to upload an screen capture but it didn't work.

Before external installation, it was on the default folder created by Steam app, and it was always the same, just loads EU, no clue about EW.

I've tried to contact Feral Interactive in Spain, but still no asnwer

Sometimes people have reported issues getting Steam to recognize an external drive. But that normally shouldn't be an issue with Linux, as everything is "devices".

I'm noting something subtle in that path which may have a bearing. In the Linux & OS/X paths in the "Basic Guide", notice that some begin with "~/". That is a standard alias for your user space or home folder (i.e. "/home/your-usename/"), the equivalent of the Windows "user files" location. Normally this is handled by the installer, but it may be that the installer is not prepared for you to install the game to a different device than the one holding your home folder. Note that the "game tree" and the "feral tree" both go under your "home" folder; not "HDD/Steam". You may also be having a problem if you are running out of disk space on that device.

-Dubious-