Oblivion failing to detect my mouse clicks

NamenlosX

I THINK I HAS THE SOLUTION!

I was having some mouse problems in Oblivion too. I tried several things to try to make it work, to no avail. Buttons 3 and 4 would only detect clicks occasionally, making them practically useless, even though I really needed them.

Here's the thing: some of your more intricate mice have programs or drivers that allow for customized button settings. For example, my Logitech trackball has settings that allow me to asign button functions for each individual application I use.

Here are some suggestions that might help.

1. If your mouse has such software, see if you can try to disable it. It might be that the mouse software is interfering with Oblivion being able to detect the mouse clicks. This didn't work for me, but it is an idea.

2. If that doesn't work, try using the mouse software to map your mouse buttons to keyboard key strokes. That's what I did: I mapped Button 3 to "C" and Button 4 to the Spacebar. Voila! It worked! Oblivion reads these mouse buttons as their assigned keys, and now they work perfectly.

• 2 months later...

Just started having these issues after my 4th installation of Oblivion.
Never had it before and had been playing on this install up to level 8.
It most certainly must be mod-related as my hardware hasn't changed, and no drivers have been updated during this game-session.

I made a quicksave about to ambush some Daedra, added a few mods, activated 2 of them, and all of a sudden the left-mouse button (only) won't work occasionally. Keys work, movement works...
And this is only after loading that specific save, lmb works all the way up untill after loading. Seems I'll have to track this issue my self, and if I find something *solid* I'll get back to this post.