Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #34794445. #34796485, #34798760 are all replies on the same post.

monetstargazer wrote: Would be nice if The Mod Manager gets a face lift as well!
fifo249 wrote: Please no. Keep the mod manager as is. More than once have I accidentaly screwed something up because of changes in the MM.
Forzane wrote: NMM is going for a facelift right before it comes out of Beta...they will be skinning NMM as well

NMM will be going through a facelift as well, though the priority of that currently falls below that of the site.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34794405.

liljohn88 wrote: I can already tell you're coming up with look and better usability for the site, it's exciting to watch. One thing i'm sure you've heard requested is a better search engine. It's so rare to get what I want through the existing search engine on the site, that I don't even try anymore, I go to google or bing to be directed back to your site to get what I want. It may be that it's cost prohibitive or there are other factors i'm unaware of. I can live with google, yet it's so tempting to try your search and get frustrated again. My OCD maybe, It would also help if I could spell better i'm sure, and yet... Whether you can improve the search engine or not, i'm still going to love you guys for the care and energy you all put into having this magnificent tool available to us. You guy's simply ROCK! Thanx!

We're working hard on making the search a feasible and useful tool again, so hopefully you will be impressed with the final product! :)

In response to post #34788890.

BlueGunk wrote: Looking good! Thanks for the work going into this - good luck! I think a quality search facility will be so important: Boolean, wild card, fields, etc.

Ha, I've literally just replied to a comment regarding search. But I'll put it here as well - We are working hard on making the search powerful and easy to refine. I am sure you will like the final product.

In response to post #34788205. #34829345, #34830695, #34889860 are all replies on the same post.

xunknownx777 wrote: I love how it's coming along. I hope to see a section for tracked mods, that would be really neat.
BlueGunk wrote: I'd agree here - thanks. Tracked mods are all but useless in the current design. It would be good to have a picture "card" view like the main pages so you can skim over the mod cards and spot what you want quickly. At the moment you have to plod through a list that is in no apparent order whatsoever.
Jeir wrote: And I'll disagree, or at least ask for current option on its own page, no pics, and jumbo-pictures-on-front-page option for those who want it. =D Tracked mods as they are suits me perfectly fine. I can see the name of the mod, when it was last updated (which determines what position on the list it is, by the way) and when I last downloaded it. As someone who does not like mod managers, it is my preferred (and if I didn't keep all mods I use on my HDD, my only) way to keep up to date with the mods I use.
seba1337 wrote: http://i.imgur.com/4Y6H3TH.png There is a section for tracked mods, check the bar in "MORE MODS", the last option to the right. Just as you asked (and me too honestly, the actual tracking centre is pretty awful)

Tracked mods will become more powerful and easy to manage, but we're also implementing something that will help managing mod files - I'm sure you will all like it :)

In response to post #34852575. #34856290, #34856355, #34872080, #34875210, #34890250 are all replies on the same post.

I2edShift wrote: Robin... Phill... If either of you read this, that second mockup looks amazing.
BlindJudge wrote: Hey, what about me! :)
starfis wrote: And you are?
I2edShift wrote: You?! ... Nobody cares about you!
Dark0ne wrote: I like these guys...
BlindJudge wrote: Sad face :(

There, there. Don't be sad Paul, of course we know who you are and that you are working hard on this. Hope you really are Paul.

So this is how the near death experience feels like.

In response to post #34782920.

Ellen63 wrote: I like the "design mock" shown above (assuming it works like I think it might).

At the end of the day, I just want to find that "new mod" or other information I might like/need (out of thousands of choices) -- as fast as possible. So, I need pages that start "fat with information" that I can easily scan with my eyes. Subsequently, the design should allow my "clicks" to logically "drill down" from "broad overviews of what's on the site" to "particular mods/information". Of course, that's what you are trying to provide. So far, so good.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Our desire it to provide users with a way of finding the mods they are after (be it the hugely popular ones or the hidden gems), I'm hoping that we have shaped the new site to do this incredibly easily.

In response to post #34780125. #34889950 is also a reply to the same post.

falconfetus8 wrote: Nix the comic sans.
seba1337 wrote: +1 to this. No comic sans please, there are tons of other fonts...

What, no Comic Sans! It's the BEST font ever... (JOKES!!!)

What you are seeing in the first image is a Wireframe using Balsamiq (https://balsamiq.com/), this tool allows you to mock up the site to give you ideas for placement, flow. etc.! There is NO styling on these pages which is the reason I think that Balsamiq make Comic Sans the font of choice within the program - no one in there right mind is going to consciously make Comic Sans their web font.

In response to post #34775475.

Matoyak wrote: The part I'm most curious about is the Top Files and the Search sections. I spend far more time on them than the main page, or any one game's home page.

Overall, I'm liking the feel of the look of the new design. My main thing is speed of navigation between various parts of the site, and speed of serving the pages to us. As it stands Nexus is a tad sluggish, both in serving/loading the pages and in getting where you want to go. (And I know it's not my internet speed. Average download is 14MBps [MB not mb], Up is 1.5 MBps). The mockups look like they'll be better about the latter at any rate.

We want everything to be snappy and easy to navigate, we're working on making code as optimised as possible and hope that the new site brings about a new experience for all our users. :)

In response to post #34770380.

STURMKATTEN wrote: I like how it is / has always been. I'm just getting used to it now. If it changes, I'm back at square one.
If it's changing for people on mobile phones etc, then why don't they keep the PC version as it is? Okay, maybe make a few improvements, but a complete overhaul is just not needed in my opinion.

Anyway, good luck to them. Looks like a lot of work.

Hey Surmkatten,

The site as it stands at the moment is quite piecemeal, it has had features bolted on over the last few years which have maybe ended up in confusing locations.

They new site has been looked at with old and new eyes, the focus group has been incredible and truly helped shape the site for the general populous. It will be easy to navigate, easy to customise and your experience will only be enhanced by it.

I'm sure that you will love the final product, though we will be running both old and new concurrently for you to get used to it at your own pace.