Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #34744535.

digitaltrucker wrote: Also, please please PLEASE make it so that whatever drop-down menus there are only drop down when you actually click the button and not just mouse over them.

We've been trying a few things out in this regard recently. I am in the camp of mouse rollover will open a menu, a few others in the click camp. What I have seen that I thought was interesting is the mix of them both.

a/ A user can click on a menu item to have it expand.
b/ A user can hover over a menu item for 0.3ms to have it expand.
c/ A user moving his mouse around the screen will not activate a menu item.

Thoughts?

In response to post #34738650.

bloodsplatBOOM wrote: I'm probably one of the very few people who actually like the current layout, so I only truly want one thing: the ability to revert back to this old layout just in case I inexplicably hate the new one.

:) It does have a nostalgia to it. But to begin with at least you will be able to run the sites side-by-side.
I'm pretty sure you will either love the new site immediately, or at least after a little bit of use. But alas, we must move forward!

In response to post #34738150.

Teccam wrote: Wow, that design looks amazing. Nothing against the current design, but I do agree that it feels a bit dated. If the final redesign looks similar to the mockups, call me a happy camper. Great work Phill, Nexus team, and focus group! Looking forward to more news soon. :D

It's coming along hey Teccam, we're putting our all into it that's for sure. Phill is an incredibly talented designer and UX fella, his input has been invaluable. That being said, the focus group have also given their all and have led to a number of things being changed with the user in mind. We have a good team - I'm proud :D

In response to post #34736435. #34740320 is also a reply to the same post.

urielz wrote: Looks good! I really hope the revamp goes beyond looks and feel. One massive feature missing is the ability to be able to keep up with who replies to our posts. Something like Reddit has in place would be very useful.
Exoclyps wrote: Yes, that's a huge thing. Having to keep track of all the places where I made a post just to see if there is a reply is a pain.

It has gone well beyond the look and feel and gone a lot into processes and flow. I'll make a note of this though and put it towards the team. We are focusing on the main site at the moment, the forum is separate mind and hopefully we'll be able to address it in the near future.

In response to post #34736140. #34740360, #34754215, #34765695 are all replies on the same post.

EnaiSiaion wrote: So instead of mods of the week, we are putting most endorsed mods of all time (or 30 days, which is the same thing) front and center?

Ok, unless your newly released mod can beat Immersive Armors, it's stillborn. GG.
Exoclyps wrote: Yeah, I wonder how that trending one is acting. Since all mods in the 2nd picture are mods I already know about it'd be of little use to me. I kinda like how it currently is on that front.
Elianora wrote: Those are just random example mods put in place on the demo images to display the design, people should look at the design and functionality, not the mods listed on there >_>
Exoclyps wrote: Well, that is part of the functionality. I for one was curious how the Trending works, and I kinda like the current hot pages. So voicing that if there is a posibility that it is going away is kinda vital I'd say.

As Elianora has said, these are mock designs at the moment and in no way reflect what mods will appear where.

What we have to take into consideration is that we are gaining users at a fast rate, these users will have experience around the web where things like 'trending' is commonplace to let them know what is popular. Whereas an existing user will click once on trending and think "right, so that's now the hot files".

One thing I would like to mention is that there will now be a much larger number of 'Trending/Hot Files' listed directly in front of a user. Giving more opportunity for mods to appear there.