Site redesign - 2016 Update #1

TheTokenGeek

Maybe, if there are reviews, they should be approved by staff or allowed only to established members. People on Steam or Metacritics reviews are often just trolling, or downvoting because of other things entirely, not reflecting how they would like/dislike the actual mod. Edited by MrIndigo

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #35284975. #35295300 is also a reply to the same post.

MRgaming360 wrote: You should add a section to the homepage called discover, where when you click it it gives you a semi-random selection of mods to look at. This would be good to have because sometimes you're looking for something new to add but you don't know exactly what you want.
BlueGunk wrote: I like that +1

Something like Steam's Queue?

In response to post #35480260.

MrIndigo wrote: Maybe, if there are reviews, they should be approved by staff or allowed only to established members. People on Steam or Metacritics reviews are often just trolling, or downvoting because of other things entirely, not reflecting how they would like/dislike the actual mod.

I definitely second this. Public review systems are far too often abused for "teh lulz", and would likely need some heavy-handed moderation to properly manage. Even with a system in place to allow users to rate reviews, all it takes is some creative sockpuppetry or enough bored channers rolling through and upvoting something 'cause it'll make someone Mad Online to cause problems.

Would also be a good idea to allow the mod uploader to specify whether they want to allow mod reviews or not (and for the love of Paarthurnax, make it opt-in, not opt-out! too many sites do it the other way around, and look at how many old/abandoned mods there are across the Nexus!). Maybe with a tiering option--premium accounts only, all accounts, or none. You would also need a reporting system for reviews, perhaps even rules in place so that if a mod's getting a lot of flagged reviews the site moderators can disable reviews for the mod (and, of course, rules against abusing the review system).

Maybe, if there are reviews, they should be approved by staff or allowed only to established members. People on Steam or Metacritics reviews are often just trolling, or downvoting because of other things entirely, not reflecting how they would like/dislike the actual mod.

In response to post #35480260.

I definitely second this. Public review systems are far too often abused for "teh lulz", and would likely need some heavy-handed moderation to properly manage. Even with a system in place to allow users to rate reviews, all it takes is some creative sockpuppetry or enough bored channers rolling through and upvoting something 'cause it'll make someone Mad Online to cause problems.

Would also be a good idea to allow the mod uploader to specify whether they want to allow mod reviews or not (and for the love of Paarthurnax, make it opt-in, not opt-out! too many sites do it the other way around, and look at how many old/abandoned mods there are across the Nexus!). Maybe with a tiering option--premium accounts only, all accounts, or none. You would also need a reporting system for reviews, perhaps even rules in place so that if a mod's getting a lot of flagged reviews the site moderators can disable reviews for the mod (and, of course, rules against abusing the review system).

Maker's Breath!

Please don't allow or create a "Reviews" section.

What a cesspool that would be!

The Nexus already has a very nice set of rules regarding mod comments:

File and image database commenting and endorsements

All the rules applicable to forum comments are also applicable to file and image commenting. However, there are additional rules that govern file and image comments, and breaking the file or image commenting rules will draw a more severe response from the staff.

The commenting and endorsement system is available on Nexus sites to provide users with:

• an interface to offer positive feedback on the functionality of the file in question based on the authors initial intentions
  • the ability to offer constructive criticism on aspects of the file that could be improved
  • the chance to ask for feature requests and discuss such requests with other users of the site or the author
  • the ability to ask for help in troubleshooting problems with the file in question

Stick with those!

In my opinion all you need to do is let us organize our stuff such as the tracking centre. Currently, if we only have a select few mods that we want to use or choose between I still have to find all of those mods in my tracking centre, I can't just ignore the ones I don't want because of the search engine that is not accurate. If I can at least organize this then it would be fine regardless. And I'd prefer custom categories not whatever you may think is what I had in mind or what anyone else would have in mind. Overall, as a user of mods that is all I should say myself. Edited by PonceMonster

In response to post #35284975. #35295300, #35489890 are all replies on the same post.

MRgaming360 wrote: You should add a section to the homepage called discover, where when you click it it gives you a semi-random selection of mods to look at. This would be good to have because sometimes you're looking for something new to add but you don't know exactly what you want.
BlueGunk wrote: I like that +1
Roccondil wrote: Something like Steam's Queue?

The fact that you can't look at the hot files, you can see the hot files at the home page, but not all of them, makes me wonder about that. But, also I don't think a discover page is of any relevance considering that they haven't even created an acceptable search widget/engine. They best work on that first, and at least give us the hot files section so that we can look at all the mods that we saw but can't remember the name. Right now, that's the sensible and common thing to do. Edited by PonceMonster

In response to post #35480260. #35510890 is also a reply to the same post.

MrIndigo wrote: Maybe, if there are reviews, they should be approved by staff or allowed only to established members. People on Steam or Metacritics reviews are often just trolling, or downvoting because of other things entirely, not reflecting how they would like/dislike the actual mod.
mindinavoid wrote: I definitely second this. Public review systems are far too often abused for "teh lulz", and would likely need some heavy-handed moderation to properly manage. Even with a system in place to allow users to rate reviews, all it takes is some creative sockpuppetry or enough bored channers rolling through and upvoting something 'cause it'll make someone Mad Online to cause problems.

But what about some modder that just allow "good" reviews to be placed in the sections and he just ignore the bad but constructive reviews about his mod ?
That right can be a double edge sword for the community.

I am always leery when I see only good reviews of anything. Especially on the internet. I want to see some bad reviews as well. If I can see the bad reviews are mostly just sour grapes It makes me more confident about the product than if all the reviews are good.