Cleaning mods.

Tamujiin

You know how when you run boss, and it suggests this mod be cleaned using tes4edit? is this necessary to do? I notice that it suggests for Apachii's stores, the lost spires, and Midas, just to name the bigger ones.

And if it is, does it make the game more stable? Im just curious as my game hangs in a few spots, and they seem to be pertaining to these mods.

You think if it was necessary these mods would have been cleaned due to the fact they are updated quite a bit eh'?

Just curious.

Yes, removing identical records and undeleting references helps with the stability of the game, especially when running a lot of mods, not to mention interoperability.

At the very least, it will make the processor not have to work as hard. If you haven't done it before, it can be a rather tedious process though. Ideally, yes, the modder should clean their mods before publication; but sometimes that doesn't happen. You should be aware that cleaning doesn't necessarily get every conflict-but it gets the stupid ones.

I've had personal experiences where these extra files that could potentially be cleaned out cause conflicts. I had random CTDs that I couldn't trace the source of - - but when I finally cleaned it out they stopped. Hope all goes well for you! :thumbsup: Edited by Dustbuster96

The game doesnt crash, it just hangs a few seconds, and it is annoying. I don't like any stutter. I guess i should learn how to clean mods :(

My personal experience with endless stutter comes from me being obsessed with trying Oblivion to look so real, that it's almost like real life. I had an epiphany one day, and it was that Oblivion is beautiful on it's own. :happy: So I cut my mods - no stutter, AND it looks just as good.

So either:

a) install the obse plugin "Oblivion Stutter Remover" and see if it works. If not,

b) Reduce your advanced mods to simple ones. If you need help, I'd be glad to

c) turn down your video settings to medium or low - - IMO, it looks worse low w/ mods, than high by itself

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Actually, on mine, cleaning made a huge difference in appearance, too.

In addition to Dustbusters list:

D) Make sure your using your video processors services. (Hardware acceleration as opposed to software; so Windows isn't wasting memory doing the video cards job)

E) If you have the option, let the video card force 28-bit processing on 3D.

F) Make sure you have a sufficient swap file. The automatic one windows manages is totally inadequate for memory intensive games, like, say, Oblivion. :tongue:

Actually, on mine, cleaning made a huge difference in appearance, too.

In addition to Dustbusters list:

D) Make sure your using your video processors services. (Hardware acceleration as opposed to software; so Windows isn't wasting memory doing the video cards job)

E) If you have the option, let the video card force 28-bit processing on 3D.

F) Make sure you have a sufficient swap file. The automatic one windows manages is totally inadequate for memory intensive games, like, say, Oblivion. :tongue:

Or anything at all, for that matter. . . . :teehee:

Edited by Dustbuster96

I guess i should learn how to clean mods :(

Mod cleaning tutorial

TES4Edit - Mod cleaning tutorial

TES4Edit Cleaning Guide

**Some mod may have 'dirty' edit, but it can be intended. Thanks to buggy CS, sometimes you need to make such to avoid CS crashing if you're editing a mod that changes Tamriel worldspace.

Yeah, thanks for posting the links :) I found out how freakin easy it was, just takes a bit cause i cleaned every mod i had, and my game runs way smoother. No slow down, or 20 second hang times.

I suggest the tes4edit tutorial. way freakin easy. and its a must do for anybody that mods oblivion.

I could even send the cleaned esp's to the author's if they wanted me too!

Edited by tamujiin