ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

DAZ 3D

caterpie

I do know of someone that took the vanilla Oblivion female body, imported it into Daz, made some adjustments to make her look like a body builder and exported it back to Oblivion.

I asked the author if he'd create a basic tutorial on the process but don't know if he ever did.

I'll find the link to the mod...

Thank you.

I use Poser 8.0 and DAZ 4.0 Beta primarily for animation and imaging. As mentioned by others, both Poser and DAZ studio are capable to export OBJ format which can be used by other 3D modeler such as 3ds Max, Blender and others. DAZ Studio 4 Beta is free to download and it can bridge to Hexagon. Both Hexagon 2 and plugin are also free to download from DAZ official website. I prefer Poser Firefly renderer compared to DAZ 3Dream. But that because I work mostly with pale light skin and I'm much comfortable with the way Poser handles lighting. On the other hand DAZ is much faster to work with because it automate most of common tasks like auto fitting clothes and it's shader builder is easy to use especially when it comes with Elite Human Skin Shader. Preview shaded texture mode in DAZ also look better when you work with high resolution realistic textures such as Elite V4.

Both Poser and DAZ use different bone system compared to games like Oblivion and Dragon Age. But both Poser and DAZ animation can be exported as BVH motion format which you can manipulate with other animator and converter. So it's possible to tun it into BIK format which most games used in their intro scenes.

If you're looking to create more imagery than using these tools for modding I would still recommend against using Poser's built in render. Poser, like Vue has serious issues when it comes to rendering anything using quality in renders. Things like texture baking, motion blur, super sampling, and depth of field are things that I'd rather leave to Blender, or Maya. Usually since Blender, and Maya can render things much faster using Mentalray and Blenders built in render. Unless you have the time, and machine hardware to let Vue, or Poser handle complex scenes. It's also a good idea to have moderate knowledge with at least Blender so that you can have a more easy work flow between Poser, and other applications, and games. Since Blender also has a community of source scripts for plug-ins you're more likely to find something that will assist you in directly exchanging data using Blender as the only medium between two other applications. It's a pain in the rear end finding up to date, and good plug-ins for an up to date version of Maya let me tell you. :P

Using Vue has taught me a few things. One being that anything that can be done in Vue, can be ported over directly into Maya or 3DSMax, and from there into other applications that do not support cross program work-flow between Vue, and say... Wings 3D... Though it's not really feasible anyways, as the number of objects converted during export to OBJ would either crash the application or the computer as the size of the file would well exceed reasonable standards. Typically I have no issues sending .MA or .MB files off and having someone else open them. However Vue has plug-ins that allow for a direct work-flow to be established between applications like Maya and 3DSMax so that when you update an object in Maya, it updates in Vue and vice versa.

You'll find your best choice isn't to stick with one program whether you're modding, or working with animation, and rendering. You're best ally however will be one of several programs that allow you to build from the ground up. Blender, Maya, XSI, 3DSMax, Rhino, Wings... Applications like Poser, Vue, Bryce, Daz... These are more like subsidiaries to the list of programs before them.

Edited by Loktyre

I am just trying to see if it would be any easier to import a mesh and skeleton into DAZ to make animations, take it into blender, then export it as a .nif since I find blender kinda hairy when I make animations. I just am getting worried about "issues" with importing the mesh with its skeleton to work on DAZ and then exporting the animation to be used in other apps.

I am just trying to see if it would be any easier to import a mesh and skeleton into DAZ to make animations, take it into blender, then export it as a .nif since I find blender kinda hairy when I make animations. I just am getting worried about "issues" with importing the mesh with its skeleton to work on DAZ and then exporting the animation to be used in other apps.

Probably not. As you suspect, importing the skeleton would be the problem.

Probably not. As you suspect, importing the skeleton would be the problem.

I did some searching and it might not be a problem now but I need to first succeed to do it first.

• 2 months later...

Daz is free, and comes with some free content, but most of the stuff you'll need you'll have to buy. I find their interface rather confusing and have been using Poser instead.

Now Poser isnt free, but they do have a $50 'debut' program. Sometimes SmithMicro and Daz put their programs on sale, Smith usually does a 50% discount, thats how I got Poser, cause it was like only $90 (when it was on sale).

If you export Blender files as Object files, you can use them in Daz or Poser, but they'll be marked as 'objects' not figures.

Only program I know of that exports to a Daz format is Hexagon.

I am just coming back from my DAZ3D od(d)yssey.

Especially if you have been working in blender before, the unintuitive design and lack of controls are gonna drive you mad.

Poser was just as irritating, if not even more.

Anyway maybe it will be usefull here:

Using Poser / Daz Characters with Blender

http://www.blender3dclub.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=97

Poser Prop Importer

http://www.blender3dclub.com/index.php?name=PPI

And then there is a modded .obj script out there, that can import the .2r files directly into blender. Search for it on google. Should not be to hard.

Edited by Nadimos

• 1 month later...

I know I'm very late to this thread but what about Bryce? It's been a while since I played with that but I faintly remember using .obj files there as well as being able to import DAZ /Poser figures.

Getting poser 9 in a few days and I'm looking forward to seeing if things are compatable, there are a few armor/robe variations available in DAZ/Poser that I'd love to see made for DA:O