RPG

Deleted2433418User

OTOMH:

- Just Cause 2

- NWN2

- Saints Row: The Third

- Morrowind

- Mass Effect 1-3

- VTM: Bloodlines (absolutely get the community patch, and consider other mods to taste)

- anything from The Sims series (and if you want something explicitly more RPG-like, The Sims Medieval is probably where I'd start)

- Black & White 2 (probably also B&W1, but I haven't played it in so long I don't remember much of it)

- KOTOR

- Fallout series

All will have varying degrees of character customization, moddability, etc. Nothing will be 100% "non linear open world" because end of the day it has to be functional as a game; The Sims or Black & White are probably as close as you can get though, since they doesn't have any rigidly pre-determined starting or ending conditions, but they do still have rules. If you want a complete do-as-you-will sandbox you might consider Garry's Mod instead. If you're truly not interested in graphics and want excruciating depth and detail, look at Dwarf Fortress or Exanima. You might also keep an eye on Star Citizen/Squadron 42, if your machine is up to it.

I would swap Saints Row the Third for Saints Row 2 on that list, Saints Row 2 is buggy and ugly but it's a better game, there's far more to do, the city is more detailed and larger and the writing is nowhere near as juvenile, in fact it's really good. It's the devs favourite but sadly they don't think they'll ever be given the budget to make something on that scale again.

• 2 weeks later...

Daggerfall, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic 6, Might and Magic 7, and the Gothic series for some old goodies. These you can find on GoG.

Morrowind on Steam.

The Fable series. II is best, but I and III are pretty good, too.

Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Torment. The main quests are linear, but you can explore pretty much anywhere--to your own peril. And choose between good, evil, or somewhere in between.

Edited by Kevaar

I would swap Saints Row the Third for Saints Row 2 on that list, Saints Row 2 is buggy and ugly but it's a better game, there's far more to do, the city is more detailed and larger and the writing is nowhere near as juvenile, in fact it's really good. It's the devs favourite but sadly they don't think they'll ever be given the budget to make something on that scale again.

Fair enough; no argument here.

Daggerfall, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic 6, Might and Magic 7, and the Gothic series for some old goodies. These you can find on GoG.

Morrowind on Steam.

The Fable series. II is best, but I and III are pretty good, too.

Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, and Torment. The main quests are linear, but you can explore pretty much anywhere--to your own peril. And choose between good, evil, or somewhere in between.

How did I forget Gothic? pinch.gif

once again i thank you all for the feedback...i have tried out most of the games recommended and alas... the only one keeping me interested is fallout 3 and New Vegas..if only the game wasn´t so buggy ;-) i am now returning to the great unknown(aka new posting in new country) and therefore will not be able to neither play games or comment on anything remotely civilian..so again thank you..i consider this topic closed Gentlemen..Goodbye

Although Saints Row isn't an RPG, I highly agree with you - Saints Row 2 is the best in the series with things even better than some modern games. I didn't know the devs thought this and figured they would never be given the budget to do another great and detailed game, I was thinking of going to the Row site and suggest that if they do get the budget, Remake SR2 for modern times and fixes, make one last SR to close out the series, make the next game with a different title that can be reused without being focused on one group/gang's name, but keep the gameplay and world like Saints Row (not like anything past 2 though).

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.

People seem to have forgotten about the good old Ultima series?

Try Ultima 7 (from gog for example) if you haven't already!

Witcher 3 kinda falls into the criteria, just not on 3. (although you can sort of choose how your Geralt acts, you have to play as Geralt of Rivia.)

The Souls series also sort of applies, but it's more difficulty gated rather than completly open-world.

There is also the game "Inquisitor"

It's in the style of Baldurs Gate or the newer Pillars of Eternity...but it's not really all that good. If you really enjoyed these type of games I say go for it as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...