In terms of humanity, where are we headed?

Keanumoreira

I've got no hope for the future from seeing the majority of people around me, someone seriously thought both world war's were really old film's. I nearly passed out from the amount of stupid that was thrown at me. We'll do as human's do best: Build thing's then destroy them out of shear ignorance.

But you can't honestly think that people used to be smarter or more informed? We have been and continue to improve, albeit rather slowly.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got no hope for the future from seeing the majority of people around me, someone seriously thought both world war's were really old film's. I nearly passed out from the amount of stupid that was thrown at me. We'll do as human's do best: Build thing's then destroy them out of shear ignorance.

But you can't honestly think that people used to be smarter or more informed? We have been and continue to improve, albeit rather slowly.

Still I think people/general public are sinking into an area of "complacency" where education and common sense are thrown out the window, Technologically speaking we are advancing but as the human race we're slinking toward's utter stupidity.

Still I think people/general public are sinking into an area of "complacency" where education and common sense are thrown out the window, Technologically speaking we are advancing but as the human race we're slinking toward's utter stupidity.

I sometimes feel this way and I understand why you think it is so but you really need to look closer at where we came from. It was not long ago that most people in the world were illiterate and completely ignorant of anything that happened outside their own immediate community. You should also not judge the entire species based on the current state of the people in the USA (I am assuming that is where you live). Government schools and our current political system have combined to create a few generations of drones that have no ability or interest in thinking for themselves. Other countries, especially in Asia, have made great strides in that same time frame however.

I think we as a species need to redefine ourselves.

We need to set politics and religion aside.

As to where we are heading, same thing different day.

That's nearly impossilbe without having an angry mob banging down your door.

Religion is what built our civilizations in the first place, make no mistake. Politics are what built our modern world. Ignore these two, people will never come to simply because it's in our lives and most of the population of the world is either stubborn, selfish, or doesn't see the point in changing anything.

That works out rather well, as politics are religion are going to be the downfall of our modern world too......

I've been trying to avoid this one due to site rules but while one of the two items listed above are not needed, politics is a necessary evil. If we don't settle our differences though politics it will be through violence. Peaceful resolution of our differences is what politics is designed to achieve.

We settle our differences thru violence now, even though we have politics...... I would put forth that it is GOVERNMENTS that start wars, not the average citizen. :D

Religion is what built our civilizations in the first place, make no mistake. Politics are what built our modern world. Ignore these two, people will never come to simply because it's in our lives and most of the population of the world is either stubborn, selfish, or doesn't see the point in changing anything.

That works out rather well, as politics are religion are going to be the downfall of our modern world too......

I've been trying to avoid this one due to site rules but while one of the two items listed above are not needed, politics is a necessary evil. If we don't settle our differences though politics it will be through violence. Peaceful resolution of our differences is what politics is designed to achieve.

We settle our differences thru violence now, even though we have politics...... I would put forth that it is GOVERNMENTS that start wars, not the average citizen. :D

True but politics includes local politics, like where to put traffic signs, how late bars can stay open, etc. We have agreed to fight it out in city hall rather than with guns thankfully. Without such agreements people would dump their garbage wherever they like and cut down the trees in the park for firewood.

True but politics includes local politics, like where to put traffic signs, how late bars can stay open, etc. We have agreed to fight it out in city hall rather than with guns thankfully. Without such agreements people would dump their garbage wherever they like and cut down the trees in the park for firewood.

While I do agree with you, SOME flavor of central authority is definitely a 'good idea', the current situation is such that the CA has ALL the power, and the citizens it was set up to protect have none. When you give an authoritative body the ability to legislate themselves more power/money/whathaveyou, you havea situation that is pretty much guaranteed to spiral out of control, which is exactly what we are seeing today. The folks with the big money, have the big influence. A perfect example of the results of this is the latest budget that just passed in Michigan..... Education gets cut, taxes on the poor go up, aid programs for the poor get cut, and the corporations get a huge tax break..... Nice huh?

While I do agree with you, SOME flavor of central authority is definitely a 'good idea', the current situation is such that the CA has ALL the power, and the citizens it was set up to protect have none. When you give an authoritative body the ability to legislate themselves more power/money/whathaveyou, you havea situation that is pretty much guaranteed to spiral out of control, which is exactly what we are seeing today. The folks with the big money, have the big influence. A perfect example of the results of this is the latest budget that just passed in Michigan..... Education gets cut, taxes on the poor go up, aid programs for the poor get cut, and the corporations get a huge tax break..... Nice huh?

Your talking to states right libertarian so I'm not going to argue with you on this, I totally agree. The Federal government should be about 10% of its current size with states and counties talking over many of the responsibilities currently held by the feds, or not as the local populations choose. Having 50 states doing their own thing has many benefits over centralized power, so many I don't even want to start listing them because I could be here all day.

Your talking to states right libertarian so I'm not going to argue with you on this, I totally agree. The Federal government should be about 10% of its current size with states and counties talking over many of the responsibilities currently held by the feds, or not as the local populations choose. Having 50 states doing their own thing has many benefits over centralized power, so many I don't even want to start listing them because I could be here all day.

It does have it's benifit's but it's too similar to how Greek City-states worked minus the federal government and all they did was war over silly thing's etc etc. I may not be an American but a whole revamp of the government would do some good in a modern age.

It does have it's benifit's but it's too similar to how Greek City-states worked minus the federal government and all they did was war over silly thing's etc etc. I may not be an American but a whole revamp of the government would do some good in a modern age.

The original design was 50 States (as in countries) bound together by a federal government to allow them to use their combined influence internationally and to ensure that fights between states do not get to the point of war. We have abandoned that model for a huge tyrannical centralized government. Exactly what the founders were trying to avoid. What we need is a return to the constitution, nothing more and nothing less.

The original design was 50 States (as in countries) bound together by a federal government to allow them to use their combined influence internationally and to ensure that fights between states do not get to the point of war. We have abandoned that model for a huge tyrannical centralized government. Exactly what the founders were trying to avoid. What we need is a return to the constitution, nothing more and nothing less.

My point exactly. The whole intention of the right to bear arms.