New Texture mod WIP

xander2077

lol, well i enjoy this, and to be truthful, this is the first time i have done a UV unwrap in blender, and the first time i have modeled something and put it in game myself, as well as the conversion to game format, making sure textures show in game etc...

when i did the SW models, someone else did the UVs and put my texture on the model. and i didnt really do much more than modeling. but that was because we had a whole mod team with jobs assigned to everyone.

now i have done textures before, a lot, and some of the more recent ones are the KOTOR updated headgear textures, which if i can figure out how to model those over i will, now that i successfully did that for morrowind so far.

i also did the pauldrons UV and texture too, and it went a lot faster this time. i have a good system down, and knowing the steps to the damce is making it easier. i found out that in nifskope if you cant clean the material any more in blender, and still get white textures in nifskope, you can choose the offending mesh parts, and go down to block detals where the color is for diffuse ans specular, and readjust the texture source, and "voila" you now have the thing fixed. so from now on as a precaustion, i am going to fix the mesh before export and then adjust the texture sources like so.

here is an update

http://i.share.pho.to/a5f72abd_o.png

http://i.share.pho.to/6c3685af_o.png

much better pauldrons than before.

now these are still. just the early stages of texturing, mainly to check and see how they look, and i will add more detail later to make them pop a bit more. not much. there are a whole gamut of brushes at my disposal to make them looked scratches and beaten more. with corrosion and other defects you would expect from antique armor from a lost civilization.

the hard part is the UV unwrap, and once you got that down, the texturing is easy. after all with a proper template it just plugs right in once you put the details in the correct shaped boxes. and the template allows you to do that a lot easier than painting it on the model.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pauldrons are a lot better mate.

I'll stick to architecture lol it's what I know. Don't mind doing bits of things and I really like doing furniture but living stuff, clothes, armour pfft! I'll mesh it all day long but sod texturing them.

I have writers block right now and stuck on what to do next..... I have lots of dialogue to do but Christ it bores me to tears.

i would love to see a webcam of that, you typing away and sobbing on camera (melodramatically of course) with scratchy violin music to make it really sad...

and then do the ol head on the keyboard routine... lol

i swear i was about there last night with the helmet. luckily that is behind me.

well, of to take care of some other things, and i will return as soon as possible.

that is pretty nifty! i think it is so funny how morrowinf NPCs can tell what you have hidden in your pockets, or can tell what is in a bottle just by the striping or the color of the flask... in real life it would not be that easy. and addicts are known to hide things in other containers... so i could see someone hiding skooma in a potion bottle, or moonsugar in a gold coin pouch...

in fact i think that would be a cool mod... expecially if you can fool an NPC buyer into buying a flask full of moonsugar that you pass off for an exquisite potion or something... (maybe even give it a goofy label to designate that it contains the wrong thing) and there is a chance of them finding out after the sale which could potentially start a fight, or at the very least hurt your reputation with them... now that would be awesome...

or if you can hide contraband in another container, then there is a chance the authorities wont see it, and they will not arrest you for it... but if they do, the fine increases... and you could forfeit more than just the contraband...

;) most of what you just wrote is going to be in my mod anyway lol. The bottle up there is a for a skooma type drug called Balmora Blue (lore friendly), I will also be adding Greenmote (lore friendly) which is another drug from the Shivering Isles.

The possibilities now are endless with modern systems but back when MW came out everything was toned down.

Just meshing a church for a request but then back on it lol (avoiding dialogue haha)

How are the meshes coming?

oh they are going great! ever since i figured out what the problem was, when i just add detail to the existing mesh, it is fine for export no problem, but where iwas getting issues was when i added external geometry, like a blender shape or womething, or patched a hole i made on accident, that i got material issues. so that is solved.

i just finished finalizing the textures for the helm and the upper pauldrons, and finished the unwrap for the cuirass. im going head to tow. the curass is hard to do, but since it gets a lot more view time i figure doing that now wont irk me near as bad as leaving it for last.

and since it is harder to do that means i just have to get it done and things should go easier from there (knock on wood)

the hardest part is trying to make sure everything is colored the same, and highlights are where they need to be, and the shadows are not too overpowering in details. since i like to use drop shadow a lot on this kind of armor, it can make things harder to blend if you dont pay attention.

http://i.share.pho.to/5747a64d_o.png

http://i.share.pho.to/fb89f74c_o.png

i chose that particular pattern on the pauldron because it will match the sunburst on the cuirass later.

it was looking kind of bare and i could not figure out what was missing, and then hit a brainstorm. found a brush in gimp that would do the trick and then used displace and drop shadow to give it a raised effect.

i sure wish i knew how to add reflection and normal maps because this could really pop if i knew how, but since i cant see it in game in openmw yet (not supported) it kind of doesnt make sense to do so.

i have enough on my plate. textures will suffice for now.

speaking of which i have other things to get to so i will be gone for the rest of the day.

ok, i lied, i just had to add that what i meant by finalized was i had to reimport the nif into blender because somewhere after you export it blender keeps acting stupid, so in order to fix anything else instead of opening the old blend you just saved after export, which has the windows all wonky for some reason, you have to reimport it. but there is an added fix whilst doing this. it welds it all into one shape and not separate pieces imade from several islands, but keeps the UV unfo intact! and all the weird faults from before are gone. so anyway i had to redo the uVs for the helmet. and that is what i mean by finalized. the texture is still not quite done. i have to make sure there are crisp shadow lines and such before that is done. but it has come a long way.

i also set the eyes closer together and some of the other features because it looked like an easter island statue in a small helmet.

and i added some teeth to the mouth, since i never did really like the open mouth in skyrim and teeth bared just look meaner... you cant see them here yet, but i will get a closer pic some time...