Mages Guild Anvil Recommendation Bug?

Ghoulz

I did everything required and when I approach the rogue mage she does nothing. I talk to her, she says she's going to kill me and take my stuff, the dialog ends, nothing happens and she just acts like a normal NPC and greets me :psyduck:

This bug is caused by not speaking to Caminalda and telling her you are a merchant before sleeping at the Inn. Here's a couple of UESP Walkthrough excerpts (emphasis added):

Arielle's Plan

The Brina Cross Inn is along the main road a bit north of Anvil. Talk with Arielle, and she will suggest that you rent a room, posing as a traveling merchant. She will visit your room later. Christophe, the innkeeper, and possibly Caminalda, another customer, will ask you if you're a merchant. You can go along with Arielle and confirm to Christophe that you are a merchant, or say nothing. For Caminalda, due to a bug, you must confirm that you're a merchant, as this can lead to a bug later. Once you've spoken with them, head to your room and wait for Arielle - this shouldn't take long. Speak with her once she enters. Then rest in the bed (waiting does not work); even though your journal tells you to sleep till morning, a single hour is enough.

Tell Caminalda that you're a merchant. Otherwise, she's not going to try to attack you on the road.

Entering setstage MG04Restore 40 into the console will correct this.

This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.

But I did talk to her before renting the room :rolleyes:

I just assaulted her and let the bodyguards finish her. So that's dealt with. :dance:

No side effects other than my assault count going up some more.

Just as a wrap-up, considering the quest is fait accompli, but when you talked to her did you specifically say you were a merchant (that is the trigger for the quest)?

Just as a wrap-up, considering the quest is fait accompli, but when you talked to her did you specifically say you were a merchant (that is the trigger for the quest)?

Of course.

Funny though, I was doing the Cheydinhal one, saying you have to check the guy's room for clues, cept I didn't find any, until I find out that im checking the wrong room. What the heck is he doing sleeping in someone else's room. I seen him sleep there so I assumed it was his room :facepalm:

The Mages Guild questline is full of inconsistencies and gotchas. I can't imagine getting through it successfully without using the UESP Wiki walkthroughs (at the very least for the Bugs section on each walkthrough).

The Mages Guild questline is full of inconsistencies and gotchas. I can't imagine getting through it successfully without using the UESP Wiki walkthroughs (at the very least for the Bugs section on each walkthrough).

Really? I've never had any problems with the Mages' Guild. The Thieves' Guild gives me more problems. So many people you can only meet at certain times...