More layers of armor

Beeeplaty

So this is a request for somebody to make a mod that would allow the player to wear an infinite amount of layers of any slot of armor at the same time. Example: infinite amount of shoes, helmets, grieves. . . . .

The reason that I want this mod is so that when I download other mods that have a certain piece of armor that takes up every slot sometimes I want to add bigger shoes over the ones that come with the suit. Basically this mod would make any combination of armor possible. And mixing the certain meshes together (while wearing the two pieces of armor at the same time) would look kind of neat. Now obviously wearing too much would make the game laggy, but I don't think that there should be a limit. The point of this mod would be to give people the ability to wear whatever they want. So if they want to wear four rings because they like the abilities that all of the rings give them, then. . .they could do that.

There are mods that allow you to "wear" more than two rings but you won't visually see more than two rings.

The body slots are hard-coded. If you want a piece of clothing and armor that share the same slot to be worn (visually) at the same time, you have to merge the NIF models together and add it into the game.

To my knowledge, there simply is no other way around it...which has been a complaint for a long time about the number of body slots that are available.

Hopefully they will increase the body slots in Skyrim or change how the items work together to allow such layering but for Oblivion, there just isn't any other way that I know about.

LHammonds

Pure speculation follows (unless someone out there HAS tried it)- If you spend a LOT of time on it, you MIGHT be able to rig full suits of armour into both the lower and upper body slots, and make one of them sit "over" the other one. However, I don't know whether it's ever been tried, and it may take a LOT of work. The outer armour would have to always be bigger than any possible "inner" armour, so you'd have to rescale every suit of outer armour, AND do some clever scripting so that if it was on the top half it would be "standard" mesh size, and on the bottom would be "bigger" mesh size.

That wouldn't be very practical if it did work. All armor and clothing would have to be stitched together as a single object so you loose the ability to wear iron greaves with a glass cuirass and such. You also lose enchant abilities such as scripted effects if all 5 pieces are worn together at the same time. And if you just wear the armor, you are missing enchant slots where the clothing would be placed.

And above all else, even if the reduced wish list was ok for him, the amount of clipping would be horrible. There is a reason why armor and clothing REPLACE the actual body mesh underneath. They are not using a cloth sim where everything can be layered and fit well together. They are all rigged to a sparse skeleton for animation and things do not always move the same way because of poly-density. A set of clothes may have a lower poly count compared to an armor set and will move differently than the armor and thus clipping will occur. It is unavoidable with overlapping and diverse meshes.

The attempt would be doomed from the beginning because of unavoidable clipping issues.

Here are some of the combined meshes I was talking about in the 1st post:

Armor Robes

Armored Skirts

LHammonds