Play FO4 at 16:9 on 16:10 screen?

drcolossus

I'm using a 16:10 screen but would prefer to play FO4 in a 16:9 format because it's more suitable for video recording formats.

My default resolution is 1920x1200 but I'd like to use 1920x1080 which can be set in the ini but the problem is that FO4 - unlike Skyrim - doesn't automatically keep the aspect ratio and inserts letterbox bars. Instead it stretches the screen! Does anyone know if a solution is available to address this issue ... or whether it's possible to tweak this in a successful way (without resorting to buy a 16:9 screen, obviously)?

I'd say: put the monitor into 10:9 each time you fire up FO4?

Interestingly, this doesn't work. If I set Windows to run in 1920x1080 it does use letterbox bars but FO4 when then set to 1920x1080 will still use the whole screen area and stretch the image accordingly.

About half the monitors have a scaling setting that preserves the aspect ratio. If you're fortunate, you might even have 3 options:

- fill screen

- preserve aspect ratio

- original resolution

(The exact name varies between monitors.)

So for example on my 2560x1600, if I run a game in 1920x1080, preserve aspect ratio would scale it to 2560x1440, so it stays 16:9. And if I tell it to keep the original resolution, it will be a small 1920x1080 image in the middle of the monitor, with a lot of black around.

Not all of them, unfortunately. Still, it's worth a try, IMHO.

About half the monitors have a scaling setting that preserves the aspect ratio. If you're fortunate, you might even have 3 options:

- fill screen

- preserve aspect ratio

- original resolution

(The exact name varies between monitors.)

So for example on my 2560x1600, if I run a game in 1920x1080, preserve aspect ratio would scale it to 2560x1440, so it stays 16:9. And if I tell it to keep the original resolution, it will be a small 1920x1080 image in the middle of the monitor, with a lot of black around.

Not all of them, unfortunately. Still, it's worth a try, IMHO.

Thanks for the hint! My monitor doesn't have such a setting but the NVIDIA control panel has ...

Adjust desktop size and position --> Check "Override the scaling mode set by games and applications"

Once that's checked the game won't 'hijack' the aspect ratio.