We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Creating My Own Face Mask, in need of simple help

As for the size of the texture, if you use the scale/resize tools it should tell you what the current dimensions of the image are. You just need to resize it to the approximate ^2 size. For instance, if the image is roughly square and something like 720x740, you could either downsize it to 512x512 or upsize to 1024x1024 with hardly any distortion. If the image is an odd size like 500x900, you could do 512x1024. You just want something that has roughly the same proportions. After resizing you may need to tweak the UV map so everything lines up still. When you resize, go back to the original image. The DDS format is compressed so opening and re-saving the .dds compresses it again and again.

Another thing that you need in order for a texture to show up (and something you may not have realized) is a normal map. Oblivion does not like textures that have no associated normal map. If you don't have one yet, read this tutorial for step-by-step instructions on how to use GIMP to create one from the texture you're using. Here's a corresponding page for Photoshop also.

In the Construction Set the biped model, world model, and icon default to the male gender. You only need to use the female slots if there is a version you're using specifically for females. If not just fill out the male boxes and you'll be set.

Razorpony

As for the size of the texture, if you use the scale/resize tools it should tell you what the current dimensions of the image are. You just need to resize it to the approximate ^2 size. For instance, if the image is roughly square and something like 720x740, you could either downsize it to 512x512 or upsize to 1024x1024 with hardly any distortion. If the image is an odd size like 500x900, you could do 512x1024. You just want something that has roughly the same proportions. After resizing you may need to tweak the UV map so everything lines up still. When you resize, go back to the original image. The DDS format is compressed so opening and re-saving the .dds compresses it again and again.

Another thing that you need in order for a texture to show up (and something you may not have realized) is a normal map. Oblivion does not like textures that have no associated normal map. If you don't have one yet, read this tutorial for step-by-step instructions on how to use GIMP to create one from the texture you're using. Here's a corresponding page for Photoshop also.

In the Construction Set the biped model, world model, and icon default to the male gender. You only need to use the female slots if there is a version you're using specifically for females. If not just fill out the male boxes and you'll be set.

Razorpony

If I just fill out the male model slots, will they still work for females if the item is a non gender specific piece of equipment(like a mask or belt)? Also, is there a limit to the size of the +2 uv? As in, is there a point were it gets too big and can cause lag, glitches, or other problems? Thank you for your help ^^.

I'd stick to 1024x1024 or lower if it's just a mask. There's really no need to go beyond that. Some high res body textures are 4096x4096 but things like that can cause a bit of lag with a lot of NPCs on the screen. Yes, just fill in the male boxes and the female will default to those same settings.

Razorpony

Ok Ive tried almost everything I could think of. Ive made the mesh, added a basic blue normal map, added a texture, made a nif file, placed the nif file and the .dds textures in the meshes/textures folders, made the items in the CS, put it in a lock box in the arena and activated the .esp file. The esp works and the item is in the box when I open it. However, when I wear it, nothing shows up(I dont get the CTDs anymore) and it doesnt appear in the game work if I were to simply drop it in the game. What would you do in my situation? I need some steps to follow because Im running out of ideas. Thanks for your help so far ^^.

I was just looking at the wiki for solutions to my problem about textures. I want my mask to take the amulet slot(for example). Does this mean that the texture has to be in \texture\clothes\amulets? Or can it be in say: textures\clothes\unique_modname_here?

When you selected the texture in Blender for UV mapping, it should already be in the folder that you planned to have it end up in. What I mean is, once you've done the UV mapping, don't move the texture file at all. And the location of the texture file doesn't really matter (although it would be more organized) as long as it's in the textures folder or a sub-folder of the textures folder.

So I should work from the textures folder to begin with? Also, Im getting myself confused with the normal map vs. the texture. Do I create the normal map from my .dds file and just throw them both into their subfolder? What I guess Im asking is, how does the nif know to use both my .dds texture image and my normal map? Thanks for all the help so far ^^.

Here is what I would do: Resize your original image to the size you want to use. Save it as a .dds, for example mymask.dds. Save it in a folder named something like textures\mymask\mymask.dds. Now, go back to the original image and make your normal map from that. Save it as textures\mymask\mymask_n.dds. Having _n on the end of the filename marks it as a normalmap and it will automatically be associated with the texture of the same name. Just make sure that everything that comes before the _n is spelled the same as the texture file. Now, open your mesh in Nifskope. Click on your mask in the render window and it should highlight that part in the list on the left. If you expand that item by clicking the + to the left of it there should be a NiTexturingProperty. Expand the texturing property and you should see a purple flower icon with the path to the current texture the item is using. Make sure it points to your .dds that you just made. and save the file. If you ever want to use a different texture or move your .dds files to a new location, just repeat the nifskope portion.

If you continue to have problems, PM me and I'll give you my Email so you can send me the nif to look at. Then I can probably tell you more accurately how to fix it.

Razorpony

Here is what I would do: Resize your original image to the size you want to use. Save it as a .dds, for example mymask.dds. Save it in a folder named something like textures\mymask\mymask.dds. Now, go back to the original image and make your normal map from that. Save it as textures\mymask\mymask_n.dds. Having _n on the end of the filename marks it as a normalmap and it will automatically be associated with the texture of the same name. Just make sure that everything that comes before the _n is spelled the same as the texture file. Now, open your mesh in Nifskope. Click on your mask in the render window and it should highlight that part in the list on the left. If you expand that item by clicking the + to the left of it there should be a NiTexturingProperty. Expand the texturing property and you should see a purple flower icon with the path to the current texture the item is using. Make sure it points to your .dds that you just made. and save the file. If you ever want to use a different texture or move your .dds files to a new location, just repeat the nifskope portion.

If you continue to have problems, PM me and I'll give you my Email so you can send me the nif to look at. Then I can probably tell you more accurately how to fix it.

Razorpony

Thank you for your feedback so far. I sort of knew about the textures in the .nif file and that the file paths could be altered in nifscope. I have had no luck so far in making my mask appear as of yet. But I have good news to be shared as well. I figured that maybe the problem might be ingame instead of with my model/textures. I discovered that with another test mod, that nothing that took up extra slots were showing up either. I know I should have done it earlier, but Im going to do a complete reinstall of the game and clear out all my mods, keeping save games of course. Hopefully, something will turn up and my problem will smooth itself out on its own^^. Will pm you if anything further arises or if I fix the problem.

*Update*

Ok so I have reinstalled oblivion with shivering isles and all the standard patches(unofficial one not included), as well as obmm, obse, and the construction set again. I have fixed my amulet problem so they now properly display. However my mask still fails to show up in the game, although it does show up in nifscope properly with textures. I will check my normal map again because I think we have narrowed it down to that because when I open the nif in blender the texture fails to show up in the texture options;unlike the test mask(the modders' resource mask set by demonizzer I think) which shows the textures correctly.

Edited by Natterforme

One problem I see with the mesh is that it has a scene root.00 beneath the main scene root. You only want one of these. Try opening the mask in Blender, deleting the bones, select the mask then import the skeleton.nif. Make sure when you import that you have 'import bones and parent to selection' clicked. Now export the mask and skeleton together and use Nifskope to remove bogus nodes. That should straighten it out. Texture and normalmap look good, but unless you want it to look REALLY shiny in game you need to open the normal in photoshop and set your eraser to about 90% and erase the entire thing, leaving only 10% behind. This will make the texture less reflective.

Razorpony