Poor FPS

WildMiles96

I'll start by saying I feel my rig should be perfectly capable of running Fallout 4

I have an

AMD FX-8320 at 4.8ghz

Radeon r7 370 2gb(ddr5)

Corsair Vengance 16gb DDR3 Ram at 1600mhz

All on an MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

Yet On Low settings with no AF, AA, or Ambient Occlusion, all shadows and texture settings to low I still only get low 20 FPS running around Red Rocket. Interiors are fine, minus occasional screen tearing, but based on similar benchmarks I should be able to play on high settings.

I am using reshade with lumasharpen and vibrance enabled and a small collection of mods but nothing that should be affecting gameplay so drastically. I do have vivid lanscapes, but it is the "best choice" version so not the highest resolution possible.

Heating never seems to be an issue for either my cpu or gpu even after long sessions

It might be just a driver issue though as fallout 4 doesn't recognize my video card. I'm using the amd catalyst control center, verson 15.2 I believe. I know this isn't the newest version but when I do a clean uninstall and install the new crimson update(with the v16 hotfix) I have driver fails by the time it reaches the main screen. Skyrim also crashes before I can start or load game with the same gray screen, unable to go to the desktop so I have to reboot.

At this point I just hope my video card wasn't a waste of money. Any help would be greatly appreciated with either driver help or just optimization tips in general. Moving my settings up to low and actually having in game effects doesn't seem to drop fps as it usually only goes as low as 17, but I can't get higher than 24's without being indoors, and this is with my load distance LOD settings at a minimum.

Thanks for any input

Hi

You need to remove all mods & get some vanilla numbers to compare as you mod. I use Fallout Performance Monitor for this.

Like Skyrim, this game favors stronger individual core CPUs. To give you an idea how this impacts the game look at the graphs on this site. http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2182-fallout-4-cpu-benchmark-huge-performance-difference

If you are playing at 1080, drop to a lower resolution & check the frame rate. If there is a big difference in frame rate you have a GPU issue. If the frame rate is about the same it is a CPU issue. Same site on GPU testing. http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2177-fallout-4-pc-video-card-fps-benchmark-all-resolutions

The numbers on both pages are a bit conservative but they can give you a good idea what your frame rate should be.

Later

Well after uninstalling all my mods, even on low settings i still only get 35 fps in my house at the beginning of the game. I get random spikes to 42 fps then back down to 35. Once I'm in the wasteland its back to 22-24fps. That being said, I can run skyrim on ultra at 45 fps with over 100 mods installed, so It might just be incompatible with fallout 4 until amd releases an optimized driver. Any other input on this, or should I return the card and bite the bullet for an r9 380