Affinity and Romance... This could be a spoiler for many!

Aterr

I'm currently on my 3rd run through, and just discovered that you do not have to Romance a person or even have them as a Follower to get their Perk. While in Sanctuary and building weapon and power armor mods, I kept seeing Codsworth and Preston Liked That messages... I thought nothing of it until Preston cornered me and started chatting away.. the Flirt option came up and I chose another option, even the Romance option came up (It was Red), I chose the Keep it professional option and Boom I got his perk. I never once had him as a Follower. Sooo, I decided to go talk to Codsworth... Same basic thing... 2 Perks just for crafting all my gear in Sanctuary with them near.

Most of the time, the companions perks are crap anyway.. Getting something when you are at 20% of your health or something... That is just what never happens in my case..

i practice "The art of Not getting hit...."

Nine out of ten times, the ones i shoot never knew who shot them... When i hear: "Oh i know you are here.." I think: Very clever of you, seeing that i just shot a couple of your compadre's, and you trip over their body's...

They say: ":i'm going to find you.." i think: no you wont.. and even if you do.. you die on the spot.. but more likely will it be a bullet in the back of your head.. or my knife slicing your throat from behind.. and you will never even know weather i am a guy of a girl...

Which in practice... renders a lot of those perks completely useless...

Most of the time, the companions perks are crap anyway.. Getting something when you are at 20% of your health or something... That is just what never happens in my case..

Nine out of ten times, the ones i shoot never knew who shot them... When i hear: "Oh i know you are here.." I think: Very clever of you, seeing that i just shot a couple of your compadre's, and you trip over their body's...

They say: ":i'm going to find you.." i think: no you wont.. and even if you do.. you die on the spot.. but more likely will it be a bullet in the back of your head.. or my knife slicing your throat from behind.. and you will never even know weather i am a guy of a girl...

Oh I so agree, but many folks want all of the Perks but find the idea of having to Romance someone to get them as patently offensive. I count myself in the last group. I don't chase Perks either. I tend to play a Stealth Character who covers his ass traps and mines. My Perks tend to be Sneak, Rifleman and Explosives, then later Commando, Criticals etc. I only recently started having companions in games only for their color commentary. They do tend to make a mess of my sneaking though. In all Fallout games, save this one, I never took companions. Not even Dogmeat! I could play only with my Legendary Suppressed Gauss Rifle, Silenced 10mm, and My Legendary Spray n' Pray... well and as many Frag mines as I can carry =)

I think linking affinity with perks is a bad idea. They should simply link them with a side quest that the character gives you. Or, or, or. Just don't link any perks to a specific party member.

My main issue is with Paladin Danse. Paladin Danse gives one of the better perks in the game, but getting it requires you to do some specific things in the game that don't fit in with each playstyle or playthrough. That means that you can't have this awesome perk if you want to side with the Brotherhood of Steel and kill Paladin Danse? Ridiculous.

I think linking affinity with perks is a bad idea. They should simply link them with a side quest that the character gives you. Or, or, or. Just don't link any perks to a specific party member.

My main issue is with Paladin Danse. Paladin Danse gives one of the better perks in the game, but getting it requires you to do some specific things in the game that don't fit in with each playstyle or playthrough. That means that you can't have this awesome perk if you want to side with the Brotherhood of Steel and kill Paladin Danse? Ridiculous.

There is a mod somewhere that will give you the perks.. no need for companions, if that's what you are after...

Oh I so agree, but many folks want all of the Perks but find the idea of having to Romance someone to get them as patently offensive. I count myself in the last group. I don't chase Perks either. I tend to play a Stealth Character who covers his ass traps and mines. My Perks tend to be Sneak, Rifleman and Explosives, then later Commando, Criticals etc. I only recently started having companions in games only for their color commentary. They do tend to make a mess of my sneaking though. In all Fallout games, save this one, I never took companions. Not even Dogmeat! I could play only with my Legendary Suppressed Gauss Rifle, Silenced 10mm, and My Legendary Spray n' Pray... well and as many Frag mines as I can carry =)

Indeed. I sneaked trough an old school somewhere, managed to kill all of the raiders in there... or so i thought.. silently, and without being seen. Then i turn a corner and run into a girl-raider. She saw me and i aimed my 10mm silenced pistol to finish her off, and she went.."Oh hell no... no way this is worth it.." and she ran off like her ass was on fire... " i couldn't stop laughing, and let her go...

That's some recognition of my skills...;)

There is a mod somewhere that will give you the perks.. no need for companions, if that's what you are after...

No it's not what I'm after. I don't need a mod or a companion to get any of the perks. I could just use the console for that. I'm bothered by the game mechanic. I'm not saying they should hand out perks for free, but forcing you to go a certain route for optimal play is kinda going against the free-roam-do-whatever-you-want type of game this is supposed to be.