mesh transparency problem

latinoad

It seems to be a basic question, as my modding skills with meshes are not too advanced.

I created a new armor. I placed both the mesh (.nif) and the texture (.dds) in the Oblivion Data folder. Then I created a plugin (.esp) in CS, where I created a new armor type and applied the mesh. I understand that the texture is defined within the .nif file, where I changed it to be my new custom texture.

Now in game mode, I do find the armor, which I placed in a chest. Fine. However when I wear it on my character that body part becomes totally transparent. No mesh and its texture is rendered in game mode.

What did I do wrong? What might cause this problem?

Thanks for the reply. I've just solved it.

Stupid problem with the normal map, yes. The names of my textures were, something like this:

armor_my.dds

armor_my_n.dds

and I think the game was expecting armor_n.dds, not armor_my_n.dds.

I had to rename them to:

armormy.dds

armormy_n.dds

Edited by latinoad

Thanks for the reply. I've just solved it.

Stupid problem with the normal map, yes. The names of my textures were, something like this:

armor_my.dds

armor_my_n.dds

Yep, that will cause a problem. Any thing that immediately follows the "_" in a texture name is considered an alternate texture unless it starts with "g" (glow map) or "n" (normal map). This does have a benefit, though: If you make multiple colors for one mesh, you can make them use the same normal map (and glow map, if applicable) like this:

TextureName.dds <---the original texture.

TextureName_g.dds <---the glow map (if it has one)

TextureName_n.dds <---the normal map

TextureName_blue.dds <---a blue variant that will use the above normal and glow maps

TextureName_red.dds <---a red variant that will use the above normal and glow maps

You can add any number of variations that way and use the same normal and glow maps.