Ending game dilemma and possible future bug(s)?

Billy1969

Well, I'm facing the endgame for the first time, so I don't know how this will affect my continued playthrough after I finish the main quest, but I think I might have screwed up a bit.

Let me explain myself, I played this game trying to be as much as possible on the good side of everyone, and there are only two factions that hate me: powder gangers and the legion.

So, I turned against the Legion from the beginning, and eventually later on I also took Mr. House out of the picture, so those are history, and pose no problem.

But I'm idolized by the NCR and I got the Brotherhood of Steel, the Boomers and the Enclave Remnants siding with them when the final battle at Hoover Dam wil begin. BUT I also did the side bets quest for Yes Man and I have him installed in the Mr. House mainframe. I got the Followers of the Apocalypse siding with him for an independent New Vegas.

So, I have the For The Republic quest active and I'm up till the point I have to visit General Oliver, which I didn't, president Kimball is still alive, I saved his butt during and after his speech at the dam. I also have Side bets: the finishing touches quest active up to the point where I have to inform Yes-Man that the Followers are choosing our side in the final battle.

Now, I have to decide which side between NCR and Yes-Man I'll pick in the Hoover Dam battle, currently I'm very torn. In an ideal world my choice would be to side with Yes-Man and become the Kingpin of the Strip replacing Mr. House but have the NCR still holding the dam and providing protection for New Vegas and the Mojave. However, correct me if I'm wrong, I think this is not possible, I fear that if I choose Yes-Man the NCR will be wiped out along with the Legion by his upgraded Securitrons, and perhaps they leave the Mojave to me as a sole master, but without the protection their troops provide.

If on the other hand i choose the NCR, I don't want them to take over the Strip and Freeside and have them rule over the Mojave. So what should I do? Yes-Man or the NCR? Argh.

Also I fear that if I choose the NCR and finish the For the Republic quest, Yes-Man's quest will remain active and mess up my game after I resume playing after the ending (I have CAGE to continue my playthrough and the DLC's after the main quest), and what would happen if after the ending the quest remains active and I choose to finish the side bets quest? Will there be a second ending? Will my game crash? I have no idea lol. And of course same thing could happen if I choose Yes-Man and the For the Republic quest stays active? As you can see I'm in a bit of trouble here, I should have chosen earlier, well it in fact I though the for the republic quest would fail once I diverted the generators to the strip for Yes-Man but it didn't.

And since I have BOS, Boomers, Enclave siding with NCR, will they fight me also during the Battle for Hoover Dam? Lol, a big potential for bugs there if I choose the independent way. So what would you do, and more importantly having both aforementioned quest still active cause bugs?

• 2 months later...

You won't believe it but I still haven't made up my mind :) Still no battle for Hoover Dam, although I think I will take the Yes-Man scenario, hopefully the quest for NCR will be closed (failed) or else I'll try that one also lol

As your concern is just with the end result of the Battle of Hoover Dam (BoHD), I would suggest you take a look at the "Endings" descriptions here. They will tell you which quests you need to complete to achieve particular results, without giving away details as to how to resolve them.

However, I do not know what impact they will have on CAGE, though I suspect none. (I'm actually in much the same position as you at the moment, though I have put off dealing with Benny (Yes Man/Mr House) to avoid Caesar's invitation until I am done laying waste to the Legion forces and all the side quests.)

BTW: The advice I have seen regarding the DLCs is to do them all before the BoHD fight.

Play DLCs in this order (my notes from various sources):
* Honest Hearts (Happy Trails Expedition - Northern Passage) before Level 10 (and after Volare!).
* Old WorldBlues (Midnight Sci-Fi Feature! - Mojave Drive-In). Target: level 15+, before level 20 and DM. (Suggested before BoS quests.)
* Dead Money (Sierra Madre Grand Opening! - Abandoned BoS Bunker) before level 20. Target: 20+. (Suggested just after BoS quests.)
* Lonesome Road (The Reunion - Canyon Wreckage) last, before Hoover Dam War. Target: 25+. (Deathclaws and SentryBots).

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks for your input, I didn't know the DLC's were supposed to be played before the battle, I thought to do as I did for Fallout 3, finish the main game and then do the DLC's in the order they were published. (I had the mod that enabled you to keep on playing after main game, I also have that mod for FNV)

I completed everything in the main game save the battle, I will hold off the battle then and play the DLC's.

Edited by Billy1969