Player controlled by AI

furzball

Totally not asking anyone to make this, I'm sorta just wondering out loud here for a project idea I'd work on but don't want to pursue if the time/effort is not going to be useful.

I'm curious about if a player character can be controlled by an AI package in game?

Eventual goal of this:
-learn how to develop an AI (moreso than the retro 2d game AI's)
-Have it capable of going from objective to objective on it's own.

-Have some randomness. Not sure if I can get an AI to select race/class at the start of the game. But basically going to try to make it so no playthrough with the AI is the same. Different classes, different side missions, etc. Likes/dislikes. Not sure how deep or not to make it. But I'd want something to happen where one playthrough you have Dovahkin, and in another playthrough your AI gets DovahDrunk or goes to pick berries on the side of a mountain to eat for the rest of its' "life".

-Use a program like voice attack to get the AI to respond to certain commands or phrases. Maybe add spells that make the AI say something back (get the spell to play a soundbite)(or easier yet, have voiceattack make the response). Not sure how I'd get it to switch spells on the fly not to mention go in and out of menus (leveling/equipment)

-eventually tie it to other stuff like twitch chat

Edit: answering some of my questions via google. Sorry tired and on first coffee. But essentially do you think the AI can be made "smart" enough to go after the objectives, get sidetracked, etc?

You mean, have the player character controlled entirely by an AI, and not the player? Not entirely certain I understand what you're going for. I might, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm not really sure that would be possible to be honest.

I'm fairly certain it would require a very heavy amount of scripting, and I'm not so sure the Creation Engine can handle it. Just my thoughts on it, I'm in no way so authority on the scripting behaviors of this game.

Sounds like a good question to DM to someone like Chesko though. He'd more than likely know.

I had posted this up on reddit and from what they're posting back, my idea is just not possible. For entertainment purposes I'll explain what my "plan" was when I posted this. Mind you I did it in the morning, 4 hours sleep, and on my first cup of coffee.

I was thinking of having basically a skyrim theater using AI controlled player characters that react to a program called voiceattack (does voice commands) and twitch chat(not even sure how I would've done that). I wanted to have the personality of the AI's randomly develop so you could get Dovahkin or a Dovahdrunk amongst a wide range of "personalities". That way every time I started a new game, I'd get something different. So yup, basically an odd idea that just can't get off the ground.

Fairly interesting concept. Never would have thought of it myself personally. Shame you had your hopes dashed though. Maybe someday a game will come along that's like it I suppose. With Virtual Reality growing, and games becoming a little more hands on in terms of our interactivity with them, then maybe it could happen with something else.

It's entirely possible to take control away from the player and have the game AI control it, I did it here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27738/?

However, there are limitations to this and the stuff you're hoping to do would be very out there.

Fun fact: that mod I linked is the released version of my private experiment "SaaS", or "Skyrim as a Screensaver". The AI-controlled player character doesn't actually do anything though, it just endlessly wanders around Tamriel. And gets stuck a lot.

Anyway, the mod is fully open with sources included, so have a look.