Imortality

Akrid

I also strongly agree that our continued survival as a race is dependent upon our getting off of Earth and colonizing other places. Advancing technology will eventually allow us to feed ourselves, continue mass consumption, expand in numbers and live in harmony with nature...but do we want to keep all our eggs in one basket?

An excellent point. Unfortunately, at the rate NASA is moving, the projection for the first manned visit to Mars would be in either 2075 or 2100. They moved it from 2025 because of poor budget planning, spending, and poor foresight of the cost of their projects. We need an International program which combines the efforts of multiple nations in establishing off-planet colonies and building better ships to traverse the stars with. It can be done (colonization of Mars and Moon) within our lifetime, the International community just needs to join in a massive project to get us off of here. I would think that we could have a colony on the moon by 2055 or even earlier at 2030 if we worked hard enough. I would like to hear some responses to this idea, if anyone is interested. ^_^

Gah, a bit OT, but oh well...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An excellent point. Unfortunately, at the rate NASA is moving, the projection for the first manned visit to Mars would be in either 2075 or 2100. They moved it from 2025 because of poor budget planning, spending, and poor foresight of the cost of their projects. We need an International program which combines the efforts of multiple nations in establishing off-planet colonies and building better ships to traverse the stars with. It can be done (colonization of Mars and Moon) within our lifetime, the International community just needs to join in a massive project to get us off of here. I would think that we could have a colony on the moon by 2055 or even earlier at 2030 if we worked hard enough. I would like to hear some responses to this idea, if anyone is interested.

Gah, a bit OT, but oh well...

In a sence it's not off topic at all, immortality as a individual alone is fantasy, but as a species we have a chance. Space travel deals with the possibility of continued human existance. Theres no such thing as immortal on earth, unless you fix the freaking sun or travel to another planet, so both of those ideas are related to immortality. B)

Archived