playable advent mod: details, feedback

davidlallen

@ deathdraco, thanks for the details on the berserker effect. I wonder if the enemy soldiers are panicking, so I will be curious to know the results of this when all other mods are turned off (if possible).

Regarding the chryssalid, you are correct that the chryssalid cocoon is invisible, and not working. Some other modders have helped me figure out how to do this correctly, but in the current version, you do get an invisible cocoon.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it wouldn't have been possible without you Swinka!

So, since Dave has been busy with multiple mods, we are looking for more coders to work on abiltities, and more animators/riggers to assist Maclimes. If anyone is interested, let me know via pm, or friend me @Kriiden on steam.

I haven't extensively tested this mod, but from what I've seen it's pretty good. The MEC animations are pretty smooth, aside from its feet clipping through the floor of the Skyranger during the Mission Briefing/Closing sequences. The Viper has a few more issues in terms of its animations. It seems like it doesn't work well with cutscenes outside of combat, going rigid and phasing its layers through each other on both the Mission Briefing/Closing and the Skyranger Landing Deployment sequences. In actual combat, the animations flow smoothly, though the tongue grab does have some slingshot issue where it moves them to strange places. I had a Viper teleport into the ground at one point, though they could still be targeted. I just got a Muton, so I can't speak about how well it plays.

I should note that I've been playing where the aliens cost resources and/or time. So far, I feel like they've been fairly balanced, especially since you get them as highest soldier rank-1. MECs are remarkably easy to get, but considering their low aim and low damage output, I don't feel that's too bad. However, getting a bunch of MEC's could be really broken, since they heal at 400%, and with the AWC, I was able to get a MEC that was knocked down to about 1 health back in 3 days. I feel like the "Artillery" branch of the MEC could use a bit of a retool, perhaps getting something similar to the Infantry's Light 'Em Up in order to fire a bunch, or maybe more explosives, or improved explosives. Right now, the base aim of the MEC doesn't feel like enough to validate a lot of the Artillery route. A +10 aim if you don't move doesn't compare about moving to flank, especially on a character that can't take cover.

Aside from that, the mod is pretty fun. I find myself using a mix of alien and human units, so I don't feel like one clearly outranks the other. The earliness by which you can get MEC's is a little strange, considering I was able to grab one before I had even fought one, but I genuinely enjoyed the "rescue" mission. I look forward to what else this mod will bring!

Great, thanks for the feedback. The known issues (including the animation points you made) are shown in post #2 of this thread. The animator who did a lot of the work has gone quiet, and there is another animator who has said several times he would contribute, but hasn't yet. So we don't have any timetable on fixing the animation issues right now. I agree that the artillery branch of the mec is less interesting. Oddly, half the people giving feedback say mec corpses are too hard to get, and the other half say they are abundant, and I haven't figured out why this divergence happens.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate that they've gone quiet. If I knew even the slightest thing about animation rigs, I'd offer some of my spare time, but sadly I haven't the foggiest. I'd like to reinforce that the in-mission animations are pretty great, and flow pretty smoothly.

As for MEC corpses, I suppose it depends on where they are in the game. MEC's show up for a bit in the beginning, then begin to fade out until the Elites come in. And then even they begin to fade. The problem is that you tend to get more MEC's if you proc reinforcement pods, since they seem to spawn more commonly in those deployments than in the wild, at least according to my experience. It could be a matter of simply waiting for MEC's to be deployed on reinforcement in order to get MEC wrecks.