playable advent mod: details, feedback

davidlallen

@davidlallen

Sry that I didn't write back sooner, I got sick :C

Now to the abilities. I like going back onto the very basics of something when I am trying to create for instance an ability. I will include my way of thought so you can catch my idea behind writing this paragraph :D

The Viper. It was meant to resemble snakes found on this planet but with some human accents. So what abilities/ perks are linked to snakes.

-they got 2 eyes, but these are not very good for seeing in general, more for orientation purposes. --> Vipers could have a limited spotting/ seeing range?

-they got another pair of "eyes" which detects infrared waveslenghs. --> Maybe Vipers can detect enemies outside of their vision range, maybe through an ability that reveals enemies in a certain range?

-they are sneaky and mobile. --> we got that covert by the stealth and mobility abilities already.

-some snakes kill enemies by strangling them. --> check.

-some snakes use poison to kill their prey and some even spit poison into the eyes! --> poison spit and enhancement check. but maybe something like a bite/ injection ability is missing?

I think you got what I mean by now. I wanted to give you a little help with thinking of abilities, and this way helps as you can see. You got ~3 new ability concepts just by going back some steps and looking at what you already got.

If you still need help, we are here for you, 2 pairs of eyes see more, as you may say :3

Oh and I am sorry if I am not sure about some phrasing or if I am doing some mistakes, or maybe even sounding rude (which never is or will be my intend). I am not natively speaking english, but I am working on improving :D

Edited by Yolius

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which file do we change so the viper can equip any armor? I'm using the realistic armor mod so the armor adds armor rather than health. I'm bringing the vipers health back in line with the other xcom soldiers but being able to change armor is therefore crucial. Afterwards I simply use uniform manager to maintain their appearance after I've changed the armor.

Please confirm if you are using the current version of the mod (March 19). In this version, the viper can only equip its own armor, and the HP and armor value of the armor is zero. The viper gets its health and armor from its class leveling. The best place to adjust it is here, which is in the ini file with the name like ClassData.ini (not at my game computer). You can add less HP, and more armor, as the class levels up.

If you attempt to equip any normal human armor on the viper, the resulting graphics will be very weird, and you probably don't want that. If you don't care how awful it looks, you will have to use the sdk and recompile the uc script files. That is more complicated than editing ini files. If you can use the sdk, then the file to change has a name like PA_UIArmoryLoadout.uc.

If you want to hack something without using the sdk, you can delete all the protection against mixing armor by editing XComEngine.ini. Remove the line under [engine.engine] which refers to "ModOverride...PA_UIArmoryLoadout". But, then all the aliens will randomly equip human armor, leading to stats which are too high, and weird graphics.

Thank you for the fast reply. The mod is excellent, by the way. I am quite appreciative that you are helping to make it.

I am using the March 19th version. The armor randomly appeared on a viper at some point, but just one of them. I'm thinking it has something to do with another mod.

I adjusted the values in the files you said, so my vipers have health in line with the rest of the Xcom soldiers now.

I don't have enough space to download the sdk for now. However, I deleted the ModOverride...PA_UIArmoryLoadout line and ingame all armor choices for the viper are still unselectable and it says "unavailable to viper." Are there any other lines I need to change for Vipers to be able to select any armor?

I deleted the ModOverride...PA_UIArmoryLoadout line and ingame all armor choices for the viper are still unselectable and it says "unavailable to viper."

That is odd. There are three places where this file could exist; please check the appropriate ones.

1. My Documents/My Games/XCOM2/XComGame/Config

2. (if you download with nexus) ...steamapps/common/XCOM 2/XComGame/Mods/PlayableAdvent/Config

3. (if you download with steam) ...steamapps/workshop/content/268500/644076161/Config

The only possible way you could see a string like "not available to viper" is if the modoverride line is still present in these files.

I have had the same issue as well. I deleted the line, then double checked those other folders (the steam workshop folder, and then the my games - xcom2 folders), and it still will not allow the mec to wear other armors. I am not that worried about that though - but I wanted to test it out just to see if it worked (I did start up a new game, just in case the overrides were not applicable to current games).

Cheers.

Alright, back in business. I deleted the line in the my games Xcom 2 folder and that allowed me to select any armor. I did have to delete both lines, both the Steam workshop line and the my games line. Thank you for helping check though @gaultesian.

However, the final thing I'm trying to do is make the viper war harness to be added to the normal armor pool. How can I add this armor to be selectable by any soldier? Then, I can make a uniform with uniform manager for that armor, equip my vipers with whatever armor is appropriate, and then fix their hilarious appearance by changing their uniform.

When you first build any alien, that armor is added to the locker so it could be selected by anybody. If you haven't built one, then its armor isn't available yet. If you see the below post, you can grab a new script file which allows you to enter a console command givealienarmor, which makes it all appear.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3879390-playable-advent-mod-details-feedback/page-24&do=findComment&comment=35865445

Duh...I found the second line in the documents - xcomengine.ini...I had actually deleted the rem'ed stated one (it was a few lines below the working line).

I never realized you could have 'ghost' lines in the my documents game folder...thanks for the heads up davidallen.

But I did have a laugh when I got the MEC to wear the armor....hes was such a strechy robot. Thanks again for the bit of code workaround, but I think I would rather work within your code (you have done such a good job plugging up the armor override...just having a chance to look under the hood was all I needed....no sense in changing any of that).

Cheers.

Edited by gaultesian