The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

What's the case heat like? I see around 93 (33c) under load, 79 (26c) idle. Of course I have A/C so... It takes some of the pressure off the computer during the summer. I get roughly the same CPU and GPU temps.

You mean the system temps right? 33-37C idle and load.

Edited by nahtanoJ

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67

Processor: Core i7-2600K 3.8GHz (It's running at stock speed because there's no point in overclocking it with the graphics card I have.)

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB DirectCU II 900MHz (I wish I could afford a GTX 580 or 570... oh well:/)

RAM-Mem: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (I don't have the memory yet and it's strangely enough cheaper than the 1600MHz modules:S)

So what do you think? Will it run Skyrim on highest settings in 1920x1080 res. as long as there's no tesselation enabled? Yes, I am serious! I get framerate drops (40-60 fps!) in the tutorial dungeons on Oblivion with everything on highest. Maybe it's the ENB-series mod. I installed or perhaps Oblivion is just horribly optimized because I can run FNV with no frame rate dips at all:S (VSync on)

From what you are describing it sounds like something is missing. Maybe use a driver checker program can help. (This may seem obvious but don't download not signed ones. Most may be OK. But a week or so ago I downloaded one and it caused my bootmgr to get deleted. It was an annoying process that i won't explain I eventually fixed it, but had to do it another way as the disc programs to fix everything didn't work.) Try disabling everything make sure all hardware is updated and then re-enable everything. Hope this helps.

Wait what do you mean by you don't have the memory yet?

What's the case heat like? I see around 93 (33c) under load, 79 (26c) idle. Of course I have A/C so... It takes some of the pressure off the computer during the summer. I get roughly the same CPU and GPU temps.

You mean the system temps right? 33-37C idle and load.

Nah, I have a case thermometer. It was built into the multi card reader I have. Gives a general temperature for the air in the case.

From what you are describing it sounds like something is missing. Maybe use a driver checker program can help. (This may seem obvious but don't download not signed ones. Most may be OK. But a week or so ago I downloaded one and it caused my bootmgr to get deleted. It was an annoying process that i won't explain I eventually fixed it, but had to do it another way as the disc programs to fix everything didn't work.) Try disabling everything make sure all hardware is updated and then re-enable everything. Hope this helps.

The only driver I am missing is the PCI simple communication controller so that can't be it. What I meant is that I don't have that particular set of memory yet but I am planning on upgrading to it soon. What I have at the moment is 4GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz. Could it possibly be that my memory is too slow or something?

Edited by nahtanoJ

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth P67

Processor: Core i7-2600K 3.8GHz (It's running at stock speed because there's no point in overclocking it with the graphics card I have.)

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB DirectCU II 900MHz (I wish I could afford a GTX 580 or 570... oh well:/)

RAM-Mem: Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1866MHz (I don't have the memory yet and it's strangely enough cheaper than the 1600MHz modules:S)

So what do you think? Will it run Skyrim on highest settings in 1920x1080 res. as long as there's no tesselation enabled? Yes, I am serious! I get framerate drops (40-60 fps!) in the tutorial dungeons on Oblivion with everything on highest. Maybe it's the ENB-series mod. I installed or perhaps Oblivion is just horribly optimized because I can run FNV with no frame rate dips at all:S (VSync on)

you'll be ok.

The only driver I am missing is the PCI simple communication controller so that can't be it. What I meant is that I don't have that particular set of memory yet but I am planning on upgrading to it soon. What I have at the moment is 4GB of Corsair XMS3 1333MHz. Could it possibly be that my memory is too slow or something?

You check for loose connections as well? Try using Explorer Suite and the CFF Explorer right click Oblivion.exe open CFF Explorer, under file header characteristics, then check app can handle >2Gb address space. That should speed things up. In fact a lot of us use the CFF Explorer. There was a mod that had it in it. I had Fallout 3 with over 200 mods run at over 50 FPS because of CFF explorer. before it was only like 50 or so. And over 30 mods are 500MB or bigger.

You check for loose connections as well? Try using Explorer Suite and the CFF Explorer right click Oblivion.exe open CFF Explorer, under file header characteristics, then check app can handle >2Gb address space. That should speed things up. In fact a lot of us use the CFF Explorer. There was a mod that had it in it. I had Fallout 3 with over 200 mods run at over 50 FPS because of CFF explorer. before it was only like 50 or so. And over 30 mods are 500MB or bigger.

No loose connections that I could see. Yeah, I'll do that sometime in the future. I am far too lazy to do that right now and I'm bored of Oblivion anyways. Thanks for the advice:)

[Edit]

BTW, The frame rate only dips when a new room or NPC loads.

Edited by nahtanoJ

Just a brief update in light of the Bullet Proof Pixel podcast:

http://bulletproofpixel.com/2011/08/24/ep-148-reach-for-the-skyrim/

At about 35:00 they ask Pete about possible system requirements, and he puts it thusly: "I would say if you have a PC that is the equivalent of a 360...then you'll be fine. If you have a really awesome PC or a brand new graphics card...we will take full advantage of that thing...so the newer the PC the better. If you're in the 'five years old, can I still run it...you could be in a little trouble."

Mostly, he still has to talk out of his behind because they're still in the bugfixing/optimizing stage (a fact with which he prefaces the above statement). Still, hopefully this puts to rest some of the squabbling!

When can we expect Bethsheda posting system requirements for Skyrim? I'm going to buy new PC and I'd love to run Skyrim at highest quality. I don't want to delay buying it though. Maybe you can estimate how Skyrim will run, judging by new setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz, AM3

ASUS M5A78L

Radeon HD 6870 1GB

4GB DDR3 1333 Hz

500GB HDD

Win7

Edited by Med111