The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Would a 6870 Radeon run it on max settings, and if so, would that graphics card be able to run properly on these other specs? (Am looking into buying a new graphics card atm):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.00GHz (2 COUs) ~3.0GHz

Memory: 6144mb (DDR2)

Hard Drive: 600GB

The only thing I might recommend is new memory...you can pick up 8 gigs of DDR3 for about 60 bucks and be set for a good, long while, gaming-wise. A must if you usually run other stuff in the background while playing. Everything else looks good to go!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a 6870 Radeon run it on max settings, and if so, would that graphics card be able to run properly on these other specs? (Am looking into buying a new graphics card atm):

The only thing I might recommend is new memory...you can pick up 8 gigs of DDR3 for about 60 bucks and be set for a good, long while, gaming-wise. A must if you usually run other stuff in the background while playing. Everything else looks good to go!

DDR3 will not fit in a DDR2 motherboard, so he/she would have to do a complete platform upgrade for that. btw, if you are running 3 x 2Gb DIMMs with that CPU, you do realize that you are not benefiting from Dual Channel mode?

DDR3 will not fit in a DDR2 motherboard, so he/she would have to do a complete platform upgrade for that. btw, if you are running 3 x 2Gb DIMMs with that CPU, you do realize that you are not benefiting from Dual Channel mode?

Huh, I though Dual Channel just required the amount of RAM to be divisible by 2, and Triple Channel divisible by 3? So in his case, 3 x 2GB DIMMs = 6 would be fine. Or I've misunderstood, and it's not the amount of RAM, but the amount of DIMMs?

I had no idea, no. I only just built my first computer a month ago. In that case, there's not much to be done with that PC beyond a full replacement. With that said, though, I would think it could run Skyrim all right.

I had no idea, no. I only just built my first computer a month ago. In that case, there's not much to be done with that PC beyond a full replacement. With that said, though, I would think it could run Skyrim all right.

Man, I might be screwed then. I have 2GBs of 4 year old DDR2 RAM. But my video card's still decent...an 8800GTX 640MB. Hopefully I'm not effed. Waaaaaaaaah.

HALLO DERE! I'm new to the forum. I just purchased this computer last night. I'm pretty sure it will play all the current generation games at almost max settings or at max settings with atleast 30 fps. I know it can run crysis 2 at approximately 30 fps but that is without v-sync(as seen on youtube.)

Alienware M14X - Nebula Red with Soft Touch Finish

-Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)

-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

-Alienware M14X 150W A/C Adapter

-14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

-1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology

-500GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s

-Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner, DVD+-RW, CD-RW

-Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

-Intel Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

I"m also looking to remove my optical drive and to install a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. Just gotta wait a week or two for this bad boy to come in. Then it should keep me content until Skyrim comes out.

HALLO DERE! I'm new to the forum. I just purchased this computer last night. I'm pretty sure it will play all the current generation games at almost max settings or at max settings with atleast 30 fps. I know it can run crysis 2 at approximately 30 fps but that is without v-sync(as seen on youtube.)

Alienware M14X - Nebula Red with Soft Touch Finish

-Intel Core i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Mode, 6M cache)

-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

-Alienware M14X 150W A/C Adapter

-14.0 High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight

-1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus technology

-500GB 7200RPM SATA 3GB/s

-Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner, DVD+-RW, CD-RW

-Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

-Intel Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2

I"m also looking to remove my optical drive and to install a OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. Just gotta wait a week or two for this bad boy to come in. Then it should keep me content until Skyrim comes out.

Welcome to the forums! A week or two? I suppose that includes the time for them to built it...I build my own, so the wait is 2-3 days for the parts to come in, then I just put it together. I say go for it on getting an SSD and make it your primary. However, I think I have a better solid state drive for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

Welcome to the forums! A week or two? I suppose that includes the time for them to built it...I build my own, so the wait is 2-3 days for the parts to come in, then I just put it together. I say go for it on getting an SSD and make it your primary. However, I think I have a better solid state drive for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148348

It's expected on or before the 23rd. Lets hope for before. However, this is Dell so a simple shipment can get screwed up in so many ways. I deal with them at work for server parts and i want to pull my hair out at times.

I hear the OCZ Vertex 3 makes the m14x crash and gives BSOD. So i might go with something a little more stable. The only reason i ever wanted the OCZ Vertex 3 was for the 20% discount i could get.

Hi all, I'm new around here, so g'day.

Just thought i'd see if there is any chance my laptop (ASUS N53S) could run it. After reading about mods etc i'd like to try a tes game on the PC.

I posted on another site as well btw, but i thought i'd get a second opinion.

Intel I7 2630QM 2.0GHz

Nvidia GeForce GT 540M Cuda 1GB

6GB Ram

500GB HDD

I think that's everything i need.

Anyway, any would be appreciated.