The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

Would love some hints on what piece i should add/remove to max out graphics and fps, thanks!

Operating System:

Windows 2.6.0.6002 (Service Pack 2)

CPU Type:

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

CPU Speed:

2.52 GHz

System Memory:

6 GB

Video Card Model:

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video Card Memory:

3.74 GB

Video Card Driver:

aticfx32.dll

Desktop Resolution:

1680x1050

Hard Disk Size:

596.17 GB

Download Speed:

1.4 MB/s (11.8 mbps)

Install SP3 for XP, better yet get Windows 7 if you can afford $100 and are capable of saving all your data, installing a new OS, and transferring the data from the old one.

Ensure that your RAM is running in Dual Channel mode, that means you need to have either 2 or 4 DIMMS installed, not 3 as it appears you may with 6GB???

Overclock your CPU, best not do this unless you have some prior experience or enjoy taking on new challenges.... if you do choose to do so make sure that your cooler and case are capable of withstanding the increased heat... you may need to purchase an aftermarket cooler if you go that route.

Upgrading your video card would be the biggest single improvement you could make. A HD 6870 should run Skyrim very nicely at that resolution. They can be purchased for $150-200 if you live in the USA. Whether you purchase a new video card or not, make sure you download the latest drivers.

Edited by Elder III

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love some hints on what piece i should add/remove to max out graphics and fps, thanks!

Operating System:

Windows 2.6.0.6002 (Service Pack 2)

CPU Type:

Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz

CPU Speed:

2.52 GHz

System Memory:

6 GB

Video Card Model:

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Video Card Memory:

3.74 GB

Video Card Driver:

aticfx32.dll

Desktop Resolution:

1680x1050

Hard Disk Size:

596.17 GB

Download Speed:

1.4 MB/s (11.8 mbps)

Install SP3 for XP, better yet get Windows 7 if you can afford $100 and are capable of saving all your data, installing a new OS, and transferring the data from the old one.

Ensure that your RAM is running in Dual Channel mode, that means you need to have either 2 or 4 DIMMS installed, not 3 as it appears you may with 6GB???

Overclock your CPU, best not do this unless you have some prior experience or enjoy taking on new challenges.... if you do choose to do so make sure that your cooler and case are capable of withstanding the increased heat... you may need to purchase an aftermarket cooler if you go that route.

Upgrading your video card would be the biggest single improvement you could make. A HD 6870 should run Skyrim very nicely at that resolution. They can be purchased for $150-200 if you live in the USA. Whether you purchase a new video card or not, make sure you download the latest drivers.

Any idea how i can check if i'm already running in dual mode? with vista 64 everything seems complicated, I miss my old professional xp.

and

do you think I would need a more recent processor for the graphic card you linked

Well, you could take the side of your case and look at it. ;) If there are 3 DIMMS (RAM sticks if you will) in the sockets then you are not running in Dual Channel mode... dual channel mode requires equally sized RAM modules to be in certain sockets on the motherboard. Some motherboards are socket 1 & 3 = dual channel, most are 1,2 & 3,4 = dual channel. If you have a third RAM module (DIMM or stick) then you don't get dual channel mode (or performance) from any of them. Now you could achieve 6GB by having 2 DIMMS of 2GB each and 2 DIMMS of 1GB each for a total of 6GB.

You could also download CPU-Z and it will tell you all sort of information, including what kind of Memory you have installed.

Your Processor is a little old, but any worthwhile purchase at this point is going to require a new motherboard, which often means a whole new system... it's all up to how much money you want to spend. I think you can get some more life out of your system as is though. Overclocking your CPU would help, but make sure you read up on it and see if it stills interests you after researching it. ;)

Well, you could take the side of your case and look at it. ;) If there are 3 DIMMS (RAM sticks if you will) in the sockets then you are not running in Dual Channel mode... dual channel mode requires equally sized RAM modules to be in certain sockets on the motherboard.

And some mobos are even more specific on the ram requirements for dual channel usage, for instance sometimes the ram modules all have to have the same CAS latency, identical capacity and clock speeds - and all this typically works best if the ram is all from the same manufacturer, if you start mixing ram from different manufacturers you can get some really odd behaviour from your computer.

Hello guys, I've looked into this sexy brand new PC and I was wondering if it would be able to run Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim smoothly and in high detail?

Here are the PC specs...

Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX Accelerated Processor (2.5GHz/1.8GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

GPU: 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6750M

Memory: 4GB DDR3 System Memory

Hard drive: 640GB 5400RPM

Display:15.6" HD (1366x768)

Close to high settings or medium-high/medium settings sits well for me. I'm looking on the market for a laptop since my previous one has been with me for quite sometime. My other laptop has a Geforce GT 130m along with a Intel Core Duo P7550 and a processor of 2.26 GB 2.27GHz and I'm not sure if that can run Skyrim, could it?

Hello guys, I've looked into this sexy brand new PC and I was wondering if it would be able to run Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim smoothly and in high detail?

Here are the PC specs...

Processor: AMD Quad-Core A8-3510MX Accelerated Processor (2.5GHz/1.8GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)

GPU: 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6750M

Memory: 4GB DDR3 System Memory

Hard drive: 640GB 5400RPM

Display:15.6" HD (1366x768)

Close to high settings or medium-high/medium settings sits well for me. I'm looking on the market for a laptop since my previous one has been with me for quite sometime. My other laptop has a Geforce GT 130m along with a Intel Core Duo P7550 and a processor of 2.26 GB 2.27GHz and I'm not sure if that can run Skyrim, could it?

If you're running it at that resolution it should be alright.

Official pc specs are expected for monday.

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for moving your post here.

My only concern there is the speed of the CPU...2.5 Ghz seems less than ideal for gaming, but that's just me. It's a Quad-Core, so that may make up for it. The hard drive may also be an issue at only 5400 RPM; finding one at 7200 or 10k would make a big difference for the loading times and stutter.

That said, for the settings and resolution you want, this should be more than enough. I'd still wait until Monday when the official specs are released, though.

Thanks for the replies, i'll do some research, and my computer is like 4 years old, as of today i guess we can get much better computers for not even 1,000 $

mine cost like 1,800 dollars, but that's 4 years ago right

the sky is the limit mate, one of my first big gaming rigs for 2008 cost me 6K - though if you buy quality components like the monitor,sound system, keyboard+ mouse with each and every sequential upgrade it doesn't cost as much in the long run - at least it is cheaper than buying a whole brand new computer,monitor,keyboard+mouse every four or so years. Also I strongly recommend you get the highest quality case and power supply you can get. A high quality case will help keep your computer cool and the internal cabling well managed, modular power supplies go a long way towards helping with cable management, and a reasonably high powered one will be a better long term investment than a relatively short term investment like a videocard. I'm using the same Silverstone Zeus 1200W power supply I have had in my computer since 2008.

CPU: i7-960 @ 3.2

GPU: 2GB 6950s in crossfire

Mem: 12 gigs

HD: 7200 rpm 1TB

Res: 1920 x 1080

I know I'll be able to run it fairly well, was just curious if any of you hardware gurus knew whether or not I'd be able to max it out. I want to enjoy the game at its best.