The Thread of Computers (aka will my computer run Skyrim)

Zeazer

i have

4 gb memory

500gb hdd

ati mobility radeon 5470

i can run the game but not fluently on highest options

and not really with enb activated~

what should i need to play on ultra graphics + hd mods

and amazing fotorealistic enb mods? o_O

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...a better graphics card? Preferably with 2GB VRAM?

I'm not a big expert on cards but the mobility series is for laptops right? Those are usually tuned for lower power consumption/heat generation, and therefore less powerful. You didn't mention the CPU but most i5 and above should be able to run skyrim and spend a lot of time idling. The i3 series may not always cope with the more CPU-intensive tasks - and then there is your drive speed to consider, especially when the game has to load a lot of textures at once (when loading a new cell outdoors, for instance).

So your laptop is not going to cut it on the highest res/settings and there isn't much you can do about that. You can, however, do a lot to make skyrim look nice by judicious use of mods. Like lush trees/grass, imaginator, godrays-only ENB (a very low-end ENB on the nexus which only makes the light play through the trees and the shadows look prettier), and playing around with the ini files until you find a compromise that you can enjoy. (or use skyrim configurator because it's easier http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/814/ )

...a better graphics card? Preferably with 2GB VRAM?

I'm not a big expert on cards but the mobility series is for laptops right? Those are usually tuned for lower power consumption/heat generation, and therefore less powerful. You didn't mention the CPU but most i5 and above should be able to run skyrim and spend a lot of time idling. The i3 series may not always cope with the more CPU-intensive tasks - and then there is your drive speed to consider, especially when the game has to load a lot of textures at once (when loading a new cell outdoors, for instance).

So your laptop is not going to cut it on the highest res/settings and there isn't much you can do about that. You can, however, do a lot to make skyrim look nice by judicious use of mods. Like lush trees/grass, imaginator, godrays-only ENB (a very low-end ENB on the nexus which only makes the light play through the trees and the shadows look prettier), and playing around with the ini files until you find a compromise that you can enjoy. (or use skyrim configurator because it's easier http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/814/ )

i5... or higher?

well i have intel core i3 ^^'

and i though about to get me a new pc on x-mas which will be able to run skyrim in my favored graphics ^^

but i don't know what i have to look for~

It would depend on your budget I suppose :)

I would definitely go for a desktop myself, and slam in a Nvidia GTX670/680/690. Which would require a pretty hefty power supply. And put in an i5 or i7 processor, probably one of the i7 series. And a smallish SSD to install windows and Skyrim on. And a separate hard disk for data/other stuff. And at least 8 GB of RAM.

For the record, I'm still on the computer I bought several years ago, I invested in a radeonHD 5770, i7, and 12 GB of RAM which was expensive at the time but has lasted me for several years of high-end gaming. I added a 2nd card in crossfire and SSD later on (Skyrim on SSD = fast texture loads and very short load screen time), and may change over to one of the newer nvidia cards come Christmas as the cards just can't hack the latest generation of games on highest settings with ENBs added. Which is what I like about desktops, if you pick your gear wisely you can do incremental upgrades over time and get more bang for your buck.With a laptop all you can really upgrade is the RAM, and maybe install a SSD. Of course, laptops get you portability, so I suppose it's all about what you want from a PC.

Edited by acidzebra

i have a laptop righ now but

i think i would prever to play with an extrem gaming experiences

like amazing graphics and enb stuff, instead of beeing able of taking my laptop with me

since i good laptop would be stolen much easyer then a desctop

and a desctop is easyer to upgrade

but i need to know what i have to look for if i want to buy a desktop

i red its better and cheaper to build your own instead of buying a finished one

i wan't something which wouldn't bee out of time to fast^^

just like you said

but my bugdet isn't that high

since my atm laptop was about 600-700€

i wouldn't like to spend too much

i thought abuout

up to 1000€ if possible

but i think it would go up to 1200-1300 to be safe for some years

got little talk in a pc shop and made a little possible list there:

GRA asus gtx66o TI-DC20G-2GD5 2GB/2xDVI/

MBP ASRock Z77 Pro4, Z77 (dual PC3-12800

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 4x 3.40GHz boxed

SSD 2,5" Samsung 120GB 840 Series Basic

NEZ 450W be quiet! Straight Power BQT E9

SPE 8gb Corsair CL9 XMS PC3-12800KIT CMX

HI3 1000GB Seagate 7200/min 23MB SATA I

GEH corsair carbide series 300R black

DVD LG Electronics GH24NS black, SATA

Col Scythe Mugen 3 Rev, B (universal)

makes 1040,90€ for me

but would it be enough to play skyrim with full hd textures and very nice ENB?

Edited by EllinaChan