Bethesda shifting focus more and more.

Arioch13

To be faair to developers and publishers I think we should remember a few things. Devloping and publishing are business and they need to make money to stay in business. In order to make a profit they need to sell the game to as many people as possible. naturally the new game is better than the old game. :) The actual improvement may only be in the graphics but the graphics are better so the game is better. Maybe, maybe not.

Bethesda does listen to players and like many things in life this is both good and bad. Good when it is founded on what a lot of players like. Bethesda takes a look at popular mods and many of those features have been incorporated into Skyrim according to what we have been told.

The bgad comes in because the most vocal comments are our complaints. IPlayers complained about things in Morrowind and we got fast travel. You may like fast travel but I don't As long as I can turn it off this fine if there is an alternative mode of travel. I did not care for the way horses were handled in Oblivion. I was an equestrian in my youth and found the manuvering clumsy. Plus you got no athletic upgrades for horseback riding. Tsk, Tsk. I have legs of steel even now and strong hands because of horseback riding. However you love horseback riding. As long as we have choices these things are alright.

My point here is that we complain more than we praise. This makes it possible for a small minority to influence a game unfairly. If we like something we should speak up too. I am just as guilty of this sin ofomission as any one else.

Developers are human beings and enjoying praise just as much as the anyone else does.

Thank you, Bethesda, because of my prior experience with you games I am eagerly looking forward to Skyrim.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok bottom line is company's are built to make money if a game is complicated the average gamer can't play it and average players play console ( I know there are serious gamers on consoles but I'm just saying) and consoles are cash cows cause pcs are more expensive to get an equal machine as an xbox or ps so they have to take care of there mass crowd and yes this community of gamers like most of us we do kinda get the short end of the stick but I just don't under why every one is worried try the game and then voice your concern all this pointless worrying breeds bias opinions on a game that no one has tryed yet All I'm saying is give the game an unbias chance before u start stressing

and coming from me, who enjoyed Dragon Age 2, that's saying something.

that you have bad taste?

Erm, no? Taste is subjective.

Besides, DA2 was still loads more complicated than Oblivi-

Oh wait, we're discussing Skyrim, not DA2. :P

Anyways.I just hope they don't nerf all the content shown in the videos from the release, like they did with Oblivion.

Also:

a lot of game reviewers sure love something that isnt an actual game. http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion. reviewed without mods. my point is that youre saying oblivion is bad?, bad for you but its not bad.

???

If you believe reviews at a game's release means anything, good boy. Everybody knows the only 'real' reviews only roll out about a month after the game's release, because then people are no longer overwhelemed by the 'oooh, shiny' of the game.

Edited by Halororor

and coming from me, who enjoyed Dragon Age 2, that's saying something.

that you have bad taste?

Erm, no? Taste is subjective.

Besides, DA2 was still loads more complicated than Oblivi-

Oh wait, we're discussing Skyrim, not DA2. :P

Anyways.I just hope they don't nerf all the content shown in the videos from the release, like they did with Oblivion.

Complicated =/= Complex

Also:

a lot of game reviewers sure love something that isnt an actual game. http://www.metacriti...ls-iv-oblivion. reviewed without mods. my point is that youre saying oblivion is bad?, bad for you but its not bad.

???

If you believe reviews at a game's release means anything, good boy. Everybody knows the only 'real' reviews only roll out about a month after the game's release, because then people are no longer overwhelemed by the 'oooh, shiny' of the game.

Everybody knows a review means nothing. Yes, it means nothing at all! It's just like asking a random guy on the street, "Is this a good game?", and basing everything on the answer from that guy. It might not seem like the same thing, but it actually is - the EXACT same thing!

Someone else can't say ANYTHING about what I will think of a game... nothing!

player reviews are worse. player reviews serve one purpose comic relief. player reviews are use only to get a good laugh. 10 mins after the game is released in come the 10s and 0s. also idk what youre thinking about if read real reviews they clearly have passed the game. so saying they pass review in 1 hour is flat out wrong so is your bribing conspiracy theory.

Complicated =/= Complex

Sure, complex then. Bad choice of words on my part.

Everybody knows a review means nothing. Yes, it means nothing at all! It's just like asking a random guy on the street, "Is this a good game?", and basing everything on the answer from that guy. It might not seem like the same thing, but it actually is - the EXACT same thing!

Good job on missing the entire point. :/

Ever seen the early reviews on Hellgate: London (a game considered absolute rubbish by probably about 70% of the gaming populace). Or Far Cry 2 for that matter? A game so tedious I people still get nightmares about driving to missions in their sleep?

My point is just that reviews don't always reflect what people actually think of the game. It merely gives an insight into what certain individuals thought of it after not spending a great deal of time with it.

Good job on missing the entire point. :/

Ever seen the early reviews on Hellgate: London (a game considered absolute rubbish by probably about 70% of the gaming populace). Or Far Cry 2 for that matter? A game so tedious I people still get nightmares about driving to missions in their sleep?

My point is just that reviews don't always reflect what people actually think of the game. It merely gives an insight into what certain individuals thought of it after not spending a great deal of time with it.

Okay, but in your earlier post, you seem to be saying the exact opposite of what you said now.

But, I guess we actually agree on this one really. :)

And yes, early reviews are perhaps the worst, well except for previews where the writer thinks he knows every little detail about the game, and actually gives the game a rating. :P

Professional reviewers arepaid to do a review. Those who pay them have developers and publishers as advertisement. The officers of themagazine do not want the review bashing the game of a high paying advertiser. What happens is poor games may get a positive review and a better game but by a low paying advertiser or non-advertiser may get a poor review. I stopped reading professional reviews long ago.

User reviews are personal oinions and should be treated as such. I look to my friends who know what I like for suggestions and comments. I will also buy a game from a developer that I like, sometimes I am disappointed and sometimes I am not.

What games you play is an individual choice. What do you like? People who know can make suggestions but people are biased. What is a wonderful game to them maybe mediocre or even terrible to you. We take a chance when we buy a game. It is much like buying a book by a favorite author sometimes it is great and others it just falls flat.

I like broccoli and hate cauliflower. What do you lik?

player reviews are worse. player reviews serve one purpose comic relief. player reviews are use only to get a good laugh. 10 mins after the game is released in come the 10s and 0s. also idk what youre thinking about if read real reviews they clearly have passed the game. so saying they pass review in 1 hour is flat out wrong so is your bribing conspiracy theory.

There are bad player reviews and good ones, the best way to find out about a game is to look at forums where people discuss that game. So called "Professional" reviewers rely on money from the very people whose products they are supposed to be reviewing, that is a conflict of interest that can't be ignored. How did DA2 manage to get those high scores? Why does Gamespots review for Black Ops sound more like an advertisement? Ask yourself this, why would developers give exclusive content to game sites rather than using their own sites? doesn't it strike you as odd that a company would drive traffic to a third party rather than to it's own site? Gaming magazines and websites are part of the industry, they rely on developers and publishers for their very existence and they won't bite the hand that feeds them.