Bethesda shifting focus more and more.

Arioch13

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who knows the semantic difference between complex and complicated? I personally do not know what Skyrim gonna be like, and I feel like there only the minority who will critically criticize choices if they feel it in the wrong direction instead blindly follow a choice because i do not know why to be honest. I however would not blame consoles or anything like that, but dumbing down is an issue (Mass Effect, Halo, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Fable, Command and Conquer, WoW are one I can think on the top of my dead as popular games). I personally believe that Skyrim can be good, but there is a large margin that lends to a potential of messing it up. People need to learn to discuss I think the idea they have done might work, but I am worried as a ES fan. Thank you, do not worry, Bethesda has not jumped on the mainstream bandwagon....yet.

PS :psyduck: POKEMON!

Complex would be a game that has depth, choices, consequences, and so on, all the good things that make a CRPG great.

Complicated would be requiring FPS reflexes for combat (for me anyway), math and logic puzzles to open a dungeon (M&M 1. I'm looking at you) and a whole lot of Guide Dang It* situations in general. or puzzles consisting of 'If it's Tuesday, talk to the Orc, but only if he likes purple and is sitting on a duck. Otherwise, go and sit on a blue rock and chant the name 'Bob' until a pink fairy shoes up and gives you a plate.' with little to no indicationt hat you're supposed to do any of this.

*Guide Dang It--look it up on http://www.tvtropes.org

I remember (And I concern myself with the fact that this statement may date me somewhat) the hype surrounding the release or Morrowind, then Oblivion. In those days too, when of course we still used bicycles to power our PC's, there was always a group of people bemoaning the state of games. Specifically, the same belly-aching that is floating about the release of Skyrim. People wring their hands and fret that the game will be scrubbed down into a tasteless paste "for the unwashed masses." (Rather pretentious, indeed.)

So far, however, every person that has griped and howled at "dumbing down" of either Morrowind or Oblivion has been silenced once the game was actually released. For instead of being treated to a dull game created for those evil, evil console-users (/sarcasm), they instead got a wonderfully rich game filled with fantastic gameplay and story. They also were blessed by a developer that puts not only thought into the modding community, but indeed holds it in very high regard. So all you Negative Nancy's and Gloomy Greg's are free to express your doom and gloom opinions. However, once Skyrim is released and we find that it is just as good as the previous installments of TES, and even better still, then you can eat your porridge and hush-up. And enjoy a rather wonderful game.

Let's put the OP's worries to rest, Skyrim will be completely open world just like all the previous ES games. The Elder Scrolls 'serious' of games will always be this way.*

* I of course cannot guarantee this statement, but the day it no longer holds true will be the day Bethesda loses me as a long time customer (long time customer definition - I had Arena on 3.5" floppys, Daggerfall was my very first PC game on CD ;) )

Will Skyrim be 'dumbed down'? Depends on your definition. If your definition of it being dumbed down is 17 skills instead of 21, then yes. IMO (which is what all this is, a bunch of people's opinions and speculations) the skill system is getting more elaborate with the 'perks' associated with each skill.

'But they're getting rid of attributes!' This actually pleases me. I wasn't sure about it at first until I really thought about it.

Why raise your strength? I bet it was mostly to increase your carry weight you loot prostitute.

Why raise your Intellect? More magicka.

Willpower? Magicka regen.

Agility? Knockdown/stagger resistance and bow damage.

Endurance? More HP. (Get it to 100 ASAP!)

You get the idea. If you can increase these things by other means then these attributes are being made obsolete. What won't be good is if they remove attributes along with their functionality. Overall though I think it's a good thing.

The leveling system in Oblivion was flawed and most people know this. Every character I created was meticulously tailored to make the most out of it. Perfectionist types like myself know exactly what I mean. No bonuses to major skills for max level. Always custom class. Max Endurance ASAP. Get your +5s every level-up. Thanks Bethesda for removing attributes and giving me one less thing to obsess about.

It looks to me like it will be more in depth. I have played a couple RPGs that have been stripped bare to the point where htey were not fun. but if anything they've made things more complex, which Im okay with.

Somewhat off topic but Honestly I look at the fable series, I loved Fable 1/Fable TLC but as each game went along they got progressively simpler in terms of things such as combat, interactions and the like. They werent terrible but they definitely were being geared to crowd who prefers simpler games. I mean fable 1 had almost 25 spells compared to the new which only has 7?