Companions in Skyrim?

AlbinoDunmer

I think if companions are done right, kind of like FO NV, but vastly improved AI of course, it could really enhance this game IMO. Now assuming they are in game, I hope for starting perks and then a choice of two perks for each companion. Each companion has his or her own back story that you learn as you progress. After the back story is learned you get a fairly long quest to finish up there business.

Heres an Example of one.

A Dark Elf Revolutionary named Amaraz Indobar, has been hunting officials of the Argonian Empire/Nation? He hunts any officials, dignitaries, ambassadors, etc etc...the officials could be Human, Mer, Khajiit, Argonian, or even his own people the Dunmer. He still kills them in an effort to weaken Argonian power in Morrowind, and prevent influence or friendship from developing between them and Skyrim. He is a Nightblade type character. A true Dunmer stereotype. Combining sorcery, stealth, and his bloodstained blades to accomplish his goals. His story begins with you witnessing the death of a Female Argonian and a Male High Elf. Both who were fleeing from a burning carriage. You stumble upon the scene and watch him burn one and then run the other through effortlessly. Impressed in spite of your reservations you are curious and talk to him. Eventually deciding to kill him, leave him alone, or enlist his help.

He gives the Perk Assassins Etiquette-Giving advice on how to be an Assassin Amaraz gives a bonus of 15 to your Sneak, Illusion, and One handed weapons skills.

If you tell him to go away you can find him later. If you enlist his help he becomes your companion and you eventually learn that his sister betrayed his entire family to their deaths during the Argonian invasion. He knows she is now a ruthless official and assassin employed by the Argonian Leaders. He figures that if he kills enough officials then he can weaken the government he hates and hopefully draw out his traitorous sister. When he hears of her coming to find him through his connections, a plan is implemented in which he lays an ambush for his dear sis.

You attack a small troop of about 10 dark elves and his sister. These are Ebony Knights. Specially equipped Dunmer with complete martial training. Ebony armor and Arms. (Quest for him doesn't activate till your char gets to a certain level) Amaraz ambushes them in a scripted event that kills 5 of the knights and then rushes them while several are knocked on the ground...explosive trap spell? You fight and kill all the knights and then once his sister, who's name is Iveri Indobar, health is brought to about one half she knocks out until the end of combat. Once combat is over Almaz grabs his sister and is screaming at her about why she betrayed them and decides to kill her. At this point you can convince him to mutilate her hands a bit effectively ruining her career as an assassin. Or let him kill her. That gets you two bonus perks.

If you let him kill her He gains the Sated Vengeance Perk-Due to having gained closure to his Families Ordeal, Amaraz realizes that he must be stronger to prevent anything like this from happening ever again. He gets a 30% bonus to Damage and a 30% bonus to damage resistance.

If you convince him to spare her you gain the Blood Wisdom Perk-This enables Amaraz to let down his guard and teach you secrets of his family. You gain 30% faster casting time and a 20% boost to your magicka.

Your thoughts? Want companions or not? And if so please post ideas similar to the my own for companion ideas. Thanks. Play nice.

Edited by AlbinoDunmer

Companions have been confirmed for Skyrim but it is more of a mercenary type system where you can recruit them en masse and they are just kinda like cannon fodder. No in depth personalities, stories, or quest. That doesn't mean we won't see some more in depth characters like you described it is just that Bethesda has said anything about it so I have to assume no till we hear otherwise. Even if we don't see it in vanilla Skyrim modders have made some pretty awesome companions for Bethesda titles in the past and I am sure we will see more in Skyrim.

I personally don't use companions unless it is a game with tactical combat where I can switch between then or give them custom orders like Dragon Age. I don't like baby sitting them as they always seem to get stuck on something, walk in front of me when I am using a bow or rifle, or just be generally stupid. No amount of 5star story telling can make up for piss poor AI and pathing that kills the immersion. However I am not against the idea as I know a lot of people like them and I always have the option of just not using them.

If we ever see AI that behaves more human like I may find myself using companions but for now they are simply scenery to me and I'm indifferent when it comes to them. In the game,"great some people will like them". Not in the game,"Oh well I wouldn't have used them anyway".

Edited by NAPALM13092

Companions have been confirmed for Skyrim but it is more of a mercenary type system where you can recruit them en masse and they are just kinda like cannon fodder. No in depth personalities, stories, or quest. That doesn't mean we won't see some more in depth characters like you described it is just that Bethesda has said anything about it so I have to assume no till we hear otherwise. Even if we don't see it in vanilla Skyrim modders have made some pretty awesome companions for Bethesda titles in the past and I am sure we will see more in Skyrim.

Still can hope but this was more atheory kind of a thing. I heard something about a pet named Wilbur so i was thinking maybe named companions may be available. Thanks though. Mercenaries are fine with me so long as i can equip armor and weapons to them.

I personally don't use companions unless it is a game with tactical combat where I can switch between then or give them custom orders like Dragon Age. I don't like baby sitting them as they always seem to get stuck on something, walk in front of me when I am using a bow or rifle, or just be generally stupid. No amount of 5star story telling can make up for piss poor AI and pathing that kills the immersion. However I am not against the idea as I know a lot of people like them and I always have the option of just not using them.

If we ever see AI that behaves more human like I may find myself using companions but for now they are simply scenery to me and I'm indifferent when it comes to them. In the game,"great some people will like them". Not in the game,"Oh well I wouldn't have used them anyway".

One way to get around that would be to do whatever it was that RDR did, where when ever you pulled a gun on an NPC that got fidgety and either fought or ran. It would definitely work for companion AI as they wouldn't stand in your way as much.

I don't know... Companions never really caught my interest. Of course, being American, I've been instilled with the idea of a Superman who can fix things and set the world straight with his own two hands. Having a companion seems like something that would only hold my character back. Especially in circumstances where you are "The Chosen One" and not "One of the Chosen Several."

But clearly there's a demand for companions, as evidenced by the slew of companion mods out there for Oblivion, and the inclusion of companions by Bethesda in Fallout 3 and NV. Maybe I'm the weird one?

Then again, it would be fun to have a sort of Sancho Panza, who just kind of follows me around, maybe comments on things here and there, but doesn't really get involved in too much of the action. Maybe someone kinda like Sully from Uncharted. That kind of character building and involvement is what I'd prefer. Maybe someone who can crack a few jokes now and then to lighten the tension, or maybe someone who can help me solve a particularly difficult puzzle. I guess right now I'm just musing and rambling.

There was one companion I did like in New Vegas, the Sniper. Mostly because he actually helped, and kept to himself pretty much the way my I wanted my character to be. What I didn't like was having to drag his back-story out of him as he fought tooth and nail to keep me from it. :wallbash:

But... Bethsoft employs some geniuses, I'm sure they'll do alright by me.

I think having companions will only work with some archetypes.Combat, sure.Stealth, maybe, as long as your careful where you stick that arrow.But what about magic, what if you're in a battle casting exploding fireballs all over the place?Somebody's bound to get hurt.One of the reasons why I never used companions on my pure mage in Oblivion was because I felt like I had to restrain myself just to keep them around.Maybe it's more realistic that way, but it's not really fun. Edited by Corakus

Then again, it would be fun to have a sort of Sancho Panza, who just kind of follows me around, maybe comments on things here and there, but doesn't really get involved in too much of the action. Maybe someone kinda like Sully from Uncharted. That kind of character building and involvement is what I'd prefer. Maybe someone who can crack a few jokes now and then to lighten the tension, or maybe someone who can help me solve a particularly difficult puzzle. I guess right now I'm just musing and rambling.

Arcade Gannon was hilarious. A little dry humor here and there, but overall very funny to me. I wouldn't mind seeing the same kind of thing in Skyrim though. Maybe something to the effect of the Adoring Fan that follows you. Only this time having a much larger series of quote/comments to choose from.

I'm okay with having mercenaries/followers but not including several companions with developed personalities is blasphemy!

We'll see though, I have faith in bethesda.

I'm all in for mercenary like companions, but having them along always hinders the fun. I find myself worrying that they will get stuck to a rock, die trying to take down a Minotaur and such things. And the running speed in Morrowind makes me cry blood. Maybe with proper AI they could be less tedious.

But in TES games, I usually prefer to play without any companions. It gives that "alone on an big and dangerous journey in a big and dangerous world with big and dangerous enemies "

I personaly dont like companions mostly because I prefer the lone wolf type of play - for which I have a few reasons:

Comanions can ruin your fun for example the difficulty level in oblivion if we want try our strength with maximum difficulty our enemies will recive only 1/6 dmg from us while at the same time deal 6 times more damage to us. However our companions and summons are not effected by this and as a result become powerfull allies and ruin the whole maximum difficulty.

Next comes the accidental assult that often happens when our friends jump right under our sword as a result we often get attacked by others coz of it or get a bounty etc.

Another thing is the fact that often our companions are not immortal and if we rely on them very much we sometimes get confused of what to do - concentrate on battle or heal our friends and if they die we now we gotta chose to eighter continue without them or reload previous save, unless ofcourse we can replace them with new ones as much as we please.

And finally the thing that mostly bugs me in such situations if I finnish a game with help from others although its possible to do it without them I'll be wondering if it was my doing or was it my allies.