Horse Saddle different from Horse Armor?

VGI

Ok, since my last post here has become largely ignored by the community, I will begin a new line of inquiry here:

Just some simple questions:

1. Is Horse Saddle different from Horse Armor? If so, then maybe that is the reason why I cannot see any saddlebags and reins on my horse?

The images here and here do not show horses having armor; all of them only has saddles. So, maybe that is why I can't see any reins or saddlebags on my horse because my horse got horse armor on.

2. I found a pretty horse (Slof's no doubt) just outside west of the Imperial City where the Imperial Bridge begins. Its got no saddle etc, so I ride it. I ride it bare back for a while. Thanks to kuertee's horse command mod, this horse now follows me around (I think its ownerless). The first horse you get in the game is an Old Nag, probably was taken out of retirement (poor horse). So, how can I take the horse armor off of the Old Nag and onto the new Slof's pretty spotted horse?

3. And while I'm at it, could I sell the Old Nag? I'm not quite sure I want a caravan of horses following me around.

4. Where could I buy saddles and horse armor and such? (Obvious answer: Stables. But which stables?)

The horse armor DLC means that, for a fee, the new horse can be armoured at the Chestnut Handy Stables. Each new horse you have armored is a separate payment.

As far as i know, the Saddlebag mods for storage don't, generally, add visible bags to the horses - the storage still works though.

The horse armor DLC means that, for a fee, the new horse can be armoured at the Chestnut Handy Stables. Each new horse you have armored is a separate payment.

As far as i know, the Saddlebag mods for storage don't, generally, add visible bags to the horses - the storage still works though.

Check the images on the links I put on the first post on this thread. There are saddlebags, visible, to the horses. But I noticed that they only seem to appear (based on the images on the mods sites) on a saddled unarmored horse. That's what I want to make sure of, because I do not have any saddled unarmored horse.

I have one armored horse. So, if these saddlebags only appear on plain unarmored saddles, then I have been trying to debug something that has probably been running ok all this time.

Edited by VGI

In that case I'd guess the horse armor uses the same slot as the saddlebags, and as only one can be displayed, the armor wins. If you change the load order so the saddlebags load last, that may change. But without "armor with saddlebags" and "armor without saddlebage" meshes for every possible armor, they aren't going to show up at the same time.

In that case I'd guess the horse armor uses the same slot as the saddlebags, and as only one can be displayed, the armor wins. If you change the load order so the saddlebags load last, that may change. But without "armor with saddlebags" and "armor without saddlebage" meshes for every possible armor, they aren't going to show up at the same time.

Well said. My thoughts exactly. Horse armor actually have plating over the horse's thighs, where the saddlebags would be.

But, I wish people would give input about this matter; especially people who uses horse mods including saddlebags.

My question remains: Where can I buy horse saddles then? I mean, just saddles and not horse armor?

Go to one of the town stables. Look at the horses in the corral. Do they have saddles with saddlebags? If yes, then you have installed correctly. If not, then you have made a mistake somewhere. You can't buy saddles in vanilla or with the horse -related mods you have mentioned. They come with the horses you purchase (they are part of the horse as defined in the CS just like eyes, tail, head etc.) Of the official DLC Horse Armour, I know nothing not having ever used it.

I have one armored horse. So, if these saddlebags only appear on plain unarmored saddles, then I have been trying to debug something that has probably been running ok all this time.

I've not actually looked at the mods, but from what I understand, you're correct. Slof's horse replacer just replaces the meshes/textures for the horses. Looking at the UESPWiki page for Shadowmere, we can see that the reference IDs for the horse are different depending on the armor it has on.

What does this mean? It means that the armored horse is actually a totally different horse than the unarmored one. And why is a completely different horse used? Because horses can't actually equip anything.

Slof's replacers don't equip saddlebags onto horses, instead they change the mesh used by the horse into one that includes saddlebags. And like Slof's replacers, the Horse Armor DLC doesn't equip armor onto horses. Instead they swap your unarmored horse with an armored one, which uses a different mesh than the unarmored horse.

So since Slof's replacers only replaces the regular, unarmored horse meshes, it should not have any effect on armored horses which depend on separate, armored horse meshes.

TL;DR

You've wasted your time trying to debug something that was working fine in the first place.

Edited by fg109

I've not actually looked at the mods, but from what I understand, you're correct. Slof's horse replacer just replaces the meshes/textures for the horses. Looking at the UESPWiki page for Shadowmere, we can see that the reference IDs for the horse are different depending on the armor it has on.

What does this mean? It means that the armored horse is actually a totally different horse than the unarmored one. And why is a completely different horse used? Because horses can't actually equip anything.

Slof's replacers don't equip saddlebags onto horses, instead they change the mesh used by the horse into one that includes saddlebags. And like Slof's replacers, the Horse Armor DLC doesn't equip armor onto horses. Instead they swap your unarmored horse with an armored one, which uses a different mesh than the unarmored horse.

So since Slof's replacers only replaces the regular, unarmored horse meshes, it should not have any effect on armored horses which depend on separate, armored horse meshes.

TL;DR

You've wasted your time trying to debug something that was working fine in the first place.

Ah, good explanation.

I acquired TES4: Oblivion through Steam's 2010 Christmas Season Discount Madness. It came with all the DLCs and was really cheap.

I never thought that the Old Nag is a model of a horse with the armour, as in the armour is actually part of the horse, like a crab. I thought that the armour is equippable to horses like the clothes and armour of your character and NPCs.

NEW QUESTION: So, the pretty Slof's leopard spotted horse I found just roaming around ownerless outside west of the Imperial City where the Imperial Bridge begins will never have a saddle, ever?

If so, could I sell it at least?

Edited by VGI

NEW QUESTION: So, the pretty Slof's leopard spotted horse I found just roaming around ownerless outside west of the Imperial City where the Imperial Bridge begins will never have a saddle, ever?

You can't sell any horses unless there is some mod that can do it. Of course you could always open the console, click the horse, type "disable" and make it go away, then use the console to give yourself money as if you'd sold it. (player.additem f #)

If you want to add a saddle or saddlebags or reins to the horse then you need to edit the .esp file that adds or affects the horse. It's very easy. You basically just tick off the parts you want your horse to have. For example, I have a bunch of miscellaneous horse-related meshes I got from different mods. As long as they are in the Meshes\Creatures\Horse folder they show up in this checklist.

http://i52.tinypic.com/24oc6s6.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can't sell any horses unless there is some mod that can do it. Of course you could always open the console, click the horse, type "disable" and make it go away, then use the console to give yourself money as if you'd sold it. (player.additem f #)

If you want to add a saddle or saddlebags or reins to the horse then you need to edit the .esp file that adds or affects the horse. It's very easy. You basically just tick off the parts you want your horse to have. For example, I have a bunch of miscellaneous horse-related meshes I got from different mods. As long as they are in the Meshes\Creatures\Horse folder they show up in this checklist.

http://i52.tinypic.com/24oc6s6.jpg

Hmmm...uh....I don't even know how to begin doing that. -_-'