Can't change the Arena poster

mawarm

Originally, I wanted to change my arena poster to this one, but after putting the file where it's supposed to be, nothing changes. So I tried this one instead. When just replacing with the files included in the download, the poster does change, but not fully. The original poster is still there, but you can see the new one in the background (I'll add a picture if you want me to). When doing this as well as creating a archiveInvalidation.txt file and putting in the lines "textures\architecture\imperialcity\icarenaposter01.dds" and "textures\architecture\imperialcity\icarenaposter01_n.dds", the poster fully changes to the new one, but then all the walls in the Imperial City turns really weird as well, sort of like this. :confused:

Please - what should I do to be able to change my arena poster?

Firstly, are you using Windows 7 or Vista, and if so did you install the game in the default place. If so, double-check the files are going into the correct place as the User account Control "feature" often prevents this.

Secondly, did you follow all of the instructions for the first exchange poster, including all of the backing up and renaming files? Again, double check WHERE the files end up. then do the archive invalidation stuff, as otherwise it may still try and read the poster from the original compressed bsa file.

Firstly, are you using Windows 7 or Vista, and if so did you install the game in the default place. If so, double-check the files are going into the correct place as the User account Control "feature" often prevents this.

Secondly, did you follow all of the instructions for the first exchange poster, including all of the backing up and renaming files? Again, double check WHERE the files end up. then do the archive invalidation stuff, as otherwise it may still try and read the poster from the original compressed bsa file.

I am running Windows 7, but the game is installed in C:/Games/Oblivion (not default directory). Since I'm using OBMM I suppose the archive invalidation should be done automatically... And yes - I followed all of the installation instructions to the letter, and all of the files are in the correct place.

With OBMM, you still need to go to the utilities tab and click the Archive Invalidation setting - check elsewhere on the nexus for which is the best option to pick.

It's working now. I just had to change the archive invalidation setting in OBMM from BSA redirection to BSA alteration. Thanks for the help! :turned:

It's working now. I just had to change the archive invalidation setting in OBMM from BSA redirection to BSA alteration. Thanks for the help! :turned:

Uh......... If you don't know how to revert the change, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the whole game. There's reason when people recommend BSA redirection.

Uh......... If you don't know how to revert the change, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the whole game. There's reason when people recommend BSA redirection.

What do you mean? Are you saying it's wrong to use BSA alteration....?

What do you mean? Are you saying it's wrong to use BSA alteration....?

BSA alteration changes .BSA file, so you may need to do it everytime you install some replacer. And as I said earlier, if you don't know how to revert the change(deleting the replacement textures in \data\textures won't revert it to vanilla state), you will need to uninstall, then reinstall the whole game. BSA redirection does not change vanilla BSA files. Instead, it adds a dummy BSA file to \data, and its name to Oblivion.ini. Once done, you can forget about archive invalidation whenever installing any replacer(until you delete Oblivion.ini). The only drawback is, you need to register the filename to Oblivion.ini when you delete and regenerate it.

I usually don't want to revert anything to vanilla after adding a mod to the game, since I very carefully select all the mods I install. ;) If I however would like to revert anything to vanilla status, I keep back-up files.

If you have backups of your bsas, you should be fine. No need to reinstall right now. If you want to revert the alteration you can do that in the same window where you did alteration. It's an option in OBMM in the archive invalidation window. Redirection is the current highly preferred method and is the default in OBMM. However, for some people it does not work. For that matter, for some people no method of archive invalidation works for all files. A few people say that archive invalidation is not much better than no invalidation. Archive invalidation itself and how to best perform it is has changed over the years. In the past, alteration was the preferred method listed in all the big faqs, which is why some mods like QTP3 tell you to do it. It's considered dangerous/bad modding form by most current Oblivion modders, but you apparently backed your bsa files up before you did the alteration, so don't panic.