Skyrim: Taking FOREVER to Save

FierySwordswoman

The version I have, it's just an MCM menu of options that were meaningless to me, but maybe it's changed since I last updated it.

Sounds like the other guy is onto something. A lot of recent bodies can cause trouble.

One more thing to check, how large is the .skse co-save file? In most cases, it should be less than 100KB.

The version I have, it's just an MCM menu of options that were meaningless to me, but maybe it's changed since I last updated it.

Sounds like the other guy is onto something. A lot of recent bodies can cause trouble.

One more thing to check, how large is the .skse co-save file? In most cases, it should be less than 100KB.

You may have XP32. I have XPMSE.

My non-quicksave at the end of the super-session:

Lilvia.ess: 11.4mb

Lilvia.skse: 1.63mb

Lilvia.ess.bak: 10.9mb - not new, was modified 3 hours prior to the last 2. Probably from when I entered the console command 'Save Lilvia 0' to get my character's name as the save name. Maybe.

All of my quicksaves were used testing the save speed a couple seconds ago, so I don't have their .skse files to check. the 2 autosaves both have a similar .skse size, saved at the inn with the ghost in the Reach.

My older character's saves (a lot more hours on this one, missing 1 or 2 larger mods.)

Hibana.ess: 11.8mb

Hibana.skse: 2.16mb

Hibana.ess.bak is insanely old.

Here's my SKSE.ini um... cause... why not:

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=1024

scrapHeapSizeMB=256

16x the recommended isn't that large, right? I mean, I probably have a good few script-heavy mods going, and my latency isn't bad.

Edited by FierySwordswoman

Well, I played for 5 hours straight and still have fluidicly fast saves; so, somewhere in this thread is a solution, but I don't know what it is.

It wasn't the XPMSE thing since I never dared disable anything related to that. In fact, I never added/removed/updated any mods or plugins.

Someone in the room is a secret genius, even if they don't realize it either.

Filesizes today:

Lilvia.ess: 11.5mb (+0.1 gain)

Lilvia.skse: 1.83mb (+0.2 gain)

Lilvia.ess.bak: 11.3mb (+0.4 gain. IDK what's backing up my save files every hour or two or so.)

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem.

The game ran extremely smooth, quicksaving took maybe one quarter of a second and loading was so fast the tips were difficult to read during the loading screen.

I had a break of a couple of months and now I got back to the game, installed some mods to my almost modless playthrough(mostly just adding small script free mods)

Suddenly quicksaving takes 30 seconds and loading takes enough time to sometimes display a third random tip.

I moved all but the very recent save files to a new folder. Didn't help.

Checked the save file size. 12MB, pretty much nothing, probably not bloating.

I disabled all script free mods I had. Didn't help. Rest of the mods add just some items, probably too dangerous to remove and probably not the cause of the problem.

I'll try sleeping for a few days.

As a thief/assasin I have stolen a lot and collected a lot of bounties.

If that doesn't work I blame the colossal "Interesting NPCs" mod I just installed successfully.

166 days later and this comes up again.

Uh, let's see..... I also have Interesting NPC's but I really doubt it's a definitive cause.

If I had to make an estimate, it'd be the complexity of a game save. I'd say a better test would be:

-Use Alternative Start to start in a particular place (like Solitute) and only explore near the city for a while.

-Once you absolutely must leave, go to every major hold and then some.

-Compare times.

---If so, it's likely the game saving a million small things and choking your first 2 CPU cores.

---My friend who has far less complex mods, overall less mods, and has a slightly better CPU has reported no weird save time increase.

I've recently started a new save in Solstiem and just traveled to Skyrim for various side quests. My saves seem fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run into this recently too. I'm not sure what's happening but if you watch your save directory in windows the skse save file increases in size quite slowly. You can watch the kb being added. My final sizes are like 20M for the ess and 1.5M for the skse save file and my save time is something like 30s, most of which appears to be writing the skse file.

Edited by ThosRTanner

I've run into this recently too. I'm not sure what's happening but if you watch your save directory in windows the skse save file increases in size quite slowly. You can watch the kb being added. My final sizes are like 20M for the ess and 1.5M for the skse save file and my save time is something like 30s, most of which appears to be writing the skse file.

That's normal, unless the save is gaining a lot on size with each script cycle (installed scripted mods will update their script at preset intervals or upon triggering activation), there is nothing wrong with it. All the items you gather, quests you finish, places you visit adds new data. Properly tweaked SKSE will remove orphaned scripts as you play the game.

Just make sure you have USLEEP (previously known as USKP) installed. There were few vanilla bugs causing save bloating and this patch gets rid of them.

That's normal, unless the save is gaining a lot on size with each script cycle (installed scripted mods will update their script at preset intervals or upon triggering activation), there is nothing wrong with it. All the items you gather, quests you finish, places you visit adds new data. Properly tweaked SKSE will remove orphaned scripts as you play the game.

Just make sure you have USLEEP (previously known as USKP) installed. There were few vanilla bugs causing save bloating and this patch gets rid of them.

I'm not complaining about the save file growing. It's not racing up hugely (and I do have usleep), and sometimes it even shrinks a bit.

What I am commenting about the amount of time it takes to write the skse save file, which you can watch being written a piece at time in Windows Explorer.