Patch fail for Collectors edition . Pls help

dagouldo

This is my third install of this particular copy. I've patched and modded it before on my old XP system with no problems . It installs and will play on my new rig . I've tried to install the 1.2.416 English patch and I get the following message on my Windows 7 Pro system " oblivion_v1.2.416_English.exe has stopped working " . I tried this several times . I then uninstalled and reinstalled with the same non result . I then tried to install the unofficial oblivion patch and was successful . 2 questions 1= with the unofficial patch do I still need the official patch ? 2- Any suggestions as to what I can do to update if needed . No save games to worry about . Note - I am installing to my D drive .

You've done the right thing installing on your D drive - the note at the end is for anyone else reading who didn't. However, the rest of this MAY be relevant.

Note on patching Oblivion: It depends on whether you have installed Shivering Isles or not.

If you have the SI version, you should be applying the English SI patch, NOT the English Oblivion patch.

If you just have Oblivion, you should choose either the US or UK patch for Oblivion (depending on where your Oblivion originated), and install that.

Once your Oblivion shows v1.2.0416 in the corner of the startup menu, THEN apply the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, and the Unofficial Official Mods Patch if you installed any of them.

On a Windows 7 system do NOT install in the default place - install the game to c:\Games\Oblivion as otherwise the UAC gets it's sticky fingers in and mucks all sorts of stuff up, including patching and mods. Read Bben46's guide HERE for how to reinstall the game, including clearing any registry entries that may be wrong.

Edited by MarkInMKUK