Nix's Preferred List of Modifications

amullinix

This is in no way a list of 'MUST HAVE' modifications (nearly all of these are in the Top 100 for a reason). This is as simple as the title of the post: recommendations. I have enjoyed game modifications over many years. This is the first list of modifications that I am, honestly, purely happy with. I still get the occasional CTD; that will never change. It is the unfortunate side effect of the game engine, probably combined with many other things outside of my abilities to comprehend. Alright, thats enough of that. Here is the list of mods that I use, and am incredibly happy with (in no specific order):

Project Nevada -

Probably one of the best integration mods I have seen. Combining sprint/charging with bullet time, proper first person head covering screen blockage (I don’t know what to call it) along with the optional Cyberware files (highly. Recommended. Read their readme to see what’s in it) makes this one of my favorites. (change the ‘C’ hotkey to ‘Y’, and change the ‘X’ hotkey to whatever else you wanted; this makes RTS work a little easier for you)

FOOK New Vegas-

I enjoyed FOOK2 for FO3, so I after waiting for a while, I finally caved in and installed it for FNV. So far, with only a few minor issues (black people have white heads, the Omertas, or anyone who wore the same styled outfit are now all in their underwear), I am enjoying what it has offered so far.

Real Time Settler (RTS)– New Vegas-

I tried Wasteland Defender, and it just wasn’t for me. After it, I nearly nixed the idea of playing with another mod that was along the same lines (yes, I know RTS came first). But, after a while, and much reading, I caved in with this one and finally downloaded it. Now I have a former Legion-held coastal town all filled with happy people :D

Underground Hideout New Vegas-

This house mod has some of the coolest effects I have seen when it comes to updating aesthetic aspects as you complete quests, the way everything can be sorted and then shown (food, medical, weapons, ammo and seeds specifically). While still making you work to display some of your more curious pieces (having to use the ‘Z’ button instead of scripting).

Nevada Skies – Weather Effects BETA-

Just as it sounds, this gives and changes the weather effects. Thunderstorms, heatstorms, sandstorms (epic) and also has a ‘Thermometer’ that gives temperature and other weather related states. Combined with Project Nevadas helmet abilities, ELECTRO-CITY and Interior Lighting Overhaul, and this mod will help the New Vegas world really stick out. One of my ‘must haves’ if I may.

CONELRAD 640-1240 – Civil Defense Radio-

A new radio station, voiced and commercialized using actual radio transmissions from that time period (if not, it’s convincing enough). Fallout Baby is one of my favorites… at least I believe that’s the name of the song.

ELECTRO-CITY Relighting the Wasteland-

Just as it sounds, ELECTRO-CITY aims at relighting the wasteland in manners that make sense. And only in places they are allowed to go. ELECTRO-CITY is a company created in order to give light back to a world without it. They are constantly working around the clock to bring you the best electricity has to offer. In major cities, in smaller settlements, or even just along the road, you’ll be able to see their signs showing who cares enough about you to upgrade your light sources! They even attempted to help the Legion re-light their life, though that didn’t always work. Also, jacobstown is most likely at the bottom of the list of places to get fixed up. Great, great mod! Original artwork, cool design, really impressive.

Detailed Normals – Texture Pack-

Plain and simple; just as it sounds. Re-does many of the regular textures to make them a little more pleasing to the eye.

Official Pipboy Readius – New Vegas Edition-

A port of the popular FO3 pipboy replacement. Gets rid of the forearm mechanism, and changes it to a PDA of sorts. Not exactly Lore friendly, though I believe it fits better in New Vegas since you aren’t a ‘vault dweller’ starting off. Looks weathered, and very effective and still fits with the world around it. Good selection as a pipboy replacer.

Weapon Mods Expanded – WMX-

Gives ALL weapons the ability to have three modifications to them, to include named weapons. Also adds new weapon mods and art assets.

New Vegas Bounties I-

Fully voiced quest mod that adds a new company set out to give you as many bounties as possible. Decently written (though sometimes the voice acting gets repetitive; only because it’s one person :P ), great story line and many vanilla quest based scripted events that really make it seem as though it was supposed to be part of the original game to begin with.

New Vegas Bounties II-

Part Two of the story, and just as well written. This time with more voice actors! :D

KDS Wearable Backpacks

This is just a personal choice. There are a few backpack mods out there, but this one really fit with what I usually wear in the game.

Bobblehunt – A Bobblehead Scavenger Hunt-

Brings in the Bobbleheads from FO3 with slightly different stat modifiers, and gives numerous places that have a chance of spawning one of these bobbleheads. Each place has a chance of spawning only the bobbleheads that would make sense considering the area, the enemies, and the quests in the area. Underground Hideout New Vegas edition has an additional file just for this. I recommend it as well.

Interior Lighting Overhaul – Realistic Interiors-

Just as it sounds! Overhauls the lights inside to allow dark areas to actually be darker, lights to have the proper radiance effects, and much more!

Unfortunately, with all of these and everything they do (Yes, I know it isn’t NEARLY as much as what some people have installed), I can’t seem to find a Strip overhaul that works. I have tried a couple of them, but it never seems to work. If there is someone out there willing to offer up a file that might be workable, I would love to see it (as long as it doesn’t overwork Lucky 38 too much; I already like the way it was made). Thanks for reading the list; I hope it helped someone here on the Nexus. Be sure to give the authors of these mods their just dues (I still haven't endorsed them :( )

EDIT: As I get more time, I will be updating this list, including updates already mentioned files. I will also be making it look a little better by adding sections, so you can scroll to which ever type you are more interested in.

If I have erroneously discussed, or represented any of the mods here, please point it out, and I will edit this post for proper representation. I do not claim anything of any type to any of these mods. Please refer to each individual ReadMe for legal/licensing information regarding each modification.

Edited by amullinix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting selection of mods, but none of them really suit my playing style. For one, my computer isn't high-end enough to handle most of the visual mods.

Still, thank you for suggesting this list. Nice to know someone else is working on something similar to mine. And... I'm flattered that you said mine looks nicer. =#D