Islamic textures in 1.2

Smiffy008

So freedom of expression only exists when something is in good taste?

That is my issue, censorship is my issue

I sort of agreed with you up to this point - but now you're no longer making sense. Of course freedom of expression exists always. And although I do find that people from many religions tend to be overly sensitive when their symbols are used the slightest bit disrespectfully, that does not obligate CDPR to hang on to content that they themselves consider to be in bad taste. Associating islam to prostitution does not serve either the story or the art style of this game, and there is no evidence of any censorship.

I've read the other posts in this thread and feel they all have their validity given the multi-country market for this game. I understand that "freedom of speech" from an American perspective doesn't necessary mean a damn thing in another country, and even America's "freedom of speech" has become rather dubious over the last 20 years. Also, opinions are like azzholes--everyone has one. With that said, further elaboration of my opinion follows....

Hey, will you self-righteous Americans get it into your heads that you aren't the only ones with free speech?

I had exactly the same sentiment as your when I read the patch notes, but as becomes clear in this thread, it is not in fact political correctness to any excessive degree, nor does it seem to be "motivated by fear" or anything of the sort.

So is anyone doing the request or just debating it?

Good call! Enough chatter (ha-ha).

I hereby and humbly request that the modders reincorporate the texture in question that was removed.

--------------

Shoop, how is it self-righteous to acknowledge that other countries have freedom of speech, but every country may interpret those freedoms differently? If anything, its an acknowledgement of multi-national differences. I wasn't making a value judgment (e.g.: good or bad). It was more of a "Yes, I understand other countries may view expression differently."

Regardless, I said my piece about the whole issue and got it out of my system. I'm not going to lose any sleep over CDProjekt's decisions. They are still top-dog in my book for their responses to all the technical glitzes.

So is anyone doing the request or just debating it?

Good call! Enough chatter (ha-ha).

I hereby and humbly request that the modders reincorporate the texture in question that was removed.

--------------

Shoop, how is it self-righteous to acknowledge that other countries have freedom of speech, but every country may interpret those freedoms differently? If anything, its an acknowledgement of multi-national differences. I wasn't making a value judgment (e.g.: good or bad). It was more of a "Yes, I understand other countries may view expression differently."

Regardless, I said my piece about the whole issue and got it out of my system. I'm not going to lose any sleep over CDProjekt's decisions. They are still top-dog in my book for their responses to all the technical glitzes.

If they've removed it completely rather than just retexture it then that may be a little awkward without an editor.

Has no one here considered the possibility that it was an artistic decision? (Jim has, it seems.)

Here's a clue: there are no other modern religious images in the game. That was intentional; and it wasn't out of respect or temerity. They didn't want those associations impinging on the world Sapkowski and they so painstakingly created.

Putting a picture of a mosque in the game in the first place was an accident, and contrary to their artistic intent.

You know, like it is kind of strangely jarring, no matter what your culture, to see a minaret-with-crescent-atop in the Northern Kingdoms of not-planet-earth.

That being said, mod away. :thumbsup:

Edited by Vogelthal

Has no one here considered the possibility that it was an artistic decision? (Jim has, it seems.)

Well, I did say that "that does not obligate CDPR to hang on to content that they themselves consider to be in bad taste". That was intended to convey the idea that it might be an artistic decision.